Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Looking back, who had the better career Nickal or Nolf?

Nickal 2-1-1-1, Hodge winner, 120-3, 92 bonus pt victories, 59 pins

Nolf 2-1-1-1, 118-3 (one loss was a medical default), 101 bonus point victories, 60 pins

Nolf was more creative, Nickal was known more for big moves.  Nolf had the controversial win vs Hidlay where many said he should have lost. He also won his 2nd NCAA title on one leg.

Nickal has the Hodge.

Overall who had the better career?  Then if you want to complicate the debate, throw in Ed Ruth who was also a 3x champ with tons of bonus, but no Hodge.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Nolf has the numbers, and qualitatively has done more to advance the art of folkstyle than Nickal. It probably won't be apparent right away but we'll see how his creativity and slickness inspires the next crop of young wrestlers and raises their technique to the next level.

Edited by pamela

On 5/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Nickal 2-1-1-1, Hodge winner, 120-3, 92 bonus pt victories, 59 pins 

Nolf 2-1-1-1, 118-3 (one loss was a medical default), 101 bonus point victories, 60 pins

No matter how many times I see this stat, it's just so freaking insane

This year's Nickal may be the greatest actual grappler in Penn State history.

Mean putting them all through a tournament style or round Robin style... I don't see any wrestler from any other season beating him more than 50% of the time.

Also: Talk about team options or making other people go different weights than nominal or ideal: Nolf made Cenzo and Berge wrestle weights they were not ideally suited for. Gtfo here with the Nickal being selfish thing.

11 hours ago, GoNotQuietly said:

No matter how many times I see this stat, it's just so freaking insane

Even crazier is that 103 of Nolf’s 118 wins in college (60 pins + 27 TF + 16  MD + 12 DEC + 2 MFFT/INJ), not 101, were by bonus! Even if you add in his RS season (5 pins + 4 TF + 1 MD +  6 DEC) his record is still unbelievable.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

I thought Bo surpassed Nolf on the number of falls, this year?

Bo had more pins for the season, but Nolf is the all-time pins leader for PSU.

According to the PSU stats Nolf also had the most takedowns (141), the most team points (172.5), and a higher GPA (3.72 - they were both kinesiology majors).

Not to take anything away from Bo - he's also a 3x BIG champ (Nolf 2x), has more career wins (120), the 2nd fastest pin at PSU (11 seconds, tied with DT), and can probably jump higher than Nolf lol.

Edited by pamela

Two of the most awesome wrestlers ever. And i'm old enough to have seen most of them.

Nolf's constant pressure kind of revolutionized a lot of people's thinking about how to approach a match. The 'play defense and win by a point' style of an Iowa, Nolf has thrown out the window. 

Bo knows throws. And Bo seems to wrestle best on the biggest stage, at the most important moments. It's inspiring to see. 

I mostly feel sadness that their college careers are over. Both have given me some of my favorite wrestling highlights, and I've been watching since 1958. For people to say definitvely that one's career was 'better' than the other is specious. Their numbers were close enough to be almost identical, but their paths were different enough to make each totally unique. 

What an honor, what a pleasure it was to see them perform their very special talents for four years. Each should be considered on his own merits, without some artificial comparison by people who couldn't hold their wrestling shoes.

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

This year's Nickal may be the greatest actual grappler in Penn State history.

Mean putting them all through a tournament style or round Robin style... I don't see any wrestler from any other season beating him more than 50% of the time.

Also: Talk about team options or making other people go different weights than nominal or ideal: Nolf made Cenzo and Berge wrestle weights they were not ideally suited for. Gtfo here with the Nickal being selfish thing.

That’s interesting. I think Ed Ruth could’ve beaten him. Not confident that would happen, but it would be a good scrap 

18 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

That’s interesting. I think Ed Ruth could’ve beaten him. Not confident that would happen, but it would be a good scrap 

I agree with this, because I view Ed Ruth as a much better version of Martin, who was the only guy to beat Bo more than once.

I'm of the opposite view.

I believe Martin had his eye on the prize earlier. Decided long ago he wanted to chase 2020. He also did things for team purposes, such as no redshirt and going 184 his soph year and giving it a go his true frosh year.

I believe you line them up year by year Martin beats Ruth more than not and that Martin could have easily made the same weight classes as Ruth the same years(factor in a Martin redshirt).

Ruth just didn't have a Nickal. He could beat Nickal, however I don't see any version if him beating this seasons Nickal more often than not. Keep in mind Soph version of Nickal beat Senior Dean. Frosh Dean beat Senior Ruth. There are direct correlations that support Nickal > Dean.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.