Jimmy Cinnabon

Who is the best 157 pound NCAA champ of all time?

Note the weight of 157 only started in 1999, so this is really asking who is the best 157 from 1999 to present.

Nominees:

TJ Williams

Ryan Bertin

Jordan Burroughs

Kyle Dake

Alex Dieringer

IMar

Jason Nolf

Criteria: college folkstyle performance only; accomplishments after college do not count; accomplishments in other styles do not count; you can factor in college performance in higher or lower weight classes

Further clarification: Imagine all the nominees at their 157 pound versions were in a round robin tournament.  Who would come out with the best record?  Again, based on how they were in college...so Jordan Burroughs as the 157 champ version, not the Olympic gold medalist version he later became.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Note the weight of 157 only started in 1999, so this is really asking who is the best 157 from 1999 to present.

Nominees:

TJ Williams

Ryan Bertin

Jordan Burroughs

Kyle Dake

Alex Dieringer

IMar

Jason Nolf

Criteria: college folkstyle performance only; accomplishments after college do not count; accomplishments in other styles do not count; you can factor in college performance in higher or lower weight classes

Based on your criteria it’s Dake and it’s not even close 

157lb Burroughs was not 165lb Burroughs. Go refill your mug, drunky.

The answer is Dake(who was 3xer then) or Nolf(3xer as well).

Most of the others mentioned h!d heir later(better/higher skilled) years at a higher weight class.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Of the guys listed I think Nolf was easily the best in folk.

I don't see him matching Burroughs or Dake.

I think Burroughs is too fast and technically clean in neutral, although I could see Nolf winning by wearing him down.

Dake at 157 was just a beast, way bigger and stronger than his opponents and had his gas tank issues that popped up from time to time at 141 and 149 under control. think he's just too physically, positionally, and tactically strong for Nolf.  I see him turning Nolf's relentless game against him, scoring off of the majority of Nolf's attacks. 

1 hour ago, custom fitch said:

I think Burroughs is too fast and technically clean in neutral, although I could see Nolf winning by wearing him down.

After being at 149 JB improved drastically. Other than matches with Metcalf, has he ever been worn down in a match? I always saw his gas tank as an advantage.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

157lb Burroughs was not 165lb Burroughs. Go refill your mug, drunky.

The answer is Dake(who was 3xer then) or Nolf(3xer as well).

Most of the others mentioned h!d heir later(better/higher skilled) years at a higher weight class.

Nolf vs Dake would've been a juicy one, both in their primes, eh? I'd probably go Dake in that one, just because he was a freak. He could stifle the creative guys, like Taylor (or Nolf). But I was thinking more along the guys who wrestled 157 pretty much their entire careers.

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Nolf vs Dake would've been a juicy one, both in their primes, eh? I'd probably go Dake in that one, just because he was a freak. He could stifle the creative guys, like Taylor (or Nolf). But I was thinking more along the guys who wrestled 157 pretty much their entire careers.

Dake was much more accustomed to wrestling those close matches. I have 157lb jr Dake over any version of Nolf. It would be close, though. Insanely close.

3 hours ago, custom fitch said:

I don't see him matching Burroughs or Dake.

Dake at 157 was just a beast, way bigger and stronger than his opponents and had his gas tank issues that popped up from time to time at 141 and 149 under control. think he's just too physically, positionally, and tactically strong for Nolf.  I see him turning Nolf's relentless game against him, scoring off of the majority of Nolf's attacks. 

See above :D Couldn't agree more on Dake, he would just smother the opponent's offenses. I think he'd have handled collegiate JB. Collegiate Nolf, yeah, he could've shut Nolf down like he did with David Taylor.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Dake was much more accustomed to wrestling those close matches. I have 157lb jr Dake over any version of Nolf. It would be close, though. Insanely close.

Did anybody in college get back points off Dake?

3 hours ago, Dr. Novak said:

Phil Kenyon was a great one.  Wrestled without a shirt.

Watching that guy wrestle was like watching grass grow. Only seen one or two of his matches and he didn't do jack **** in either one. But he was jacked, for sure.

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Watching that guy wrestle was like watching grass grow. Only seen one or two of his matches and he didn't do jack **** in either one. But he was jacked, for sure. 

Props to you young blood for even knowing anything about Phil Kenyon.  He was jacked and he wore a full on hair shirt.  157 has a long proud history that should be noted.