RJChicago

Why Did Sammy Sasso Go To Ohio State?

Hello all - this may be a really dumb question and I'm not familiar with recruiting intricacies at all or the regional matters - but a friend had told me that Cael Sanderson got virtually every elite recruit from Pennsylvania to go to Penn State during Cael's tenure at PSU. Given that, does anyone know why Sammy Sasso chose Ohio State? I'm not remotely suggesting he shouldn't have or anything other than - it just seems interesting and unique in this era and I'm wondering if there are relationships or some other dynamic which helps explain it. Thank you!

23 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

Hello all - this may be a really dumb question and I'm not familiar with recruiting intricacies at all or the regional matters - but a friend had told me that Cael Sanderson got virtually every elite recruit from Pennsylvania to go to Penn State during Cael's tenure at PSU. Given that, does anyone know why Sammy Sasso chose Ohio State? I'm not remotely suggesting he shouldn't have or anything other than - it just seems interesting and unique in this era and I'm wondering if there are relationships or some other dynamic which helps explain it. Thank you!

If Cael gets every elite recruit in Pennsylvania and he didnt' get Sasso...guess that means Cael doesn't believe Sasso is an elite recruit (or he doesn't have a spot in the lineup).

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

That's why Cael chose Iowa State. Great art program.  

My bad, I thought this thread was about Sasso.  

13 minutes ago, stp said:

My bad, I thought this thread was about Sasso.  

It is.  My point is that i'm sure your post is correct and makes a ton of sense.  His choice was definitely because of the education and not athletics or the coaching staff/training environment.  The same reason Cael went to ISU. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

After seeing Sammy Sasso's matched with Brayton Lee, we should call him Sammy "Gasso".  He looked clearly gassed, and a completely different wrestler from the US Open, where Sasso tech'd Brayton with relative ease.  

The matches started kind of similarly.  At the US open Sasso got Lee in a leg lace and it was over in less than a minute, so he never had a chance to gas.

13 hours ago, MSU158 said:
Spencer Lee???????????

Although Carl went to PSU due to the talent in PA, he doesn’t solely focus his recruiting there. He did not get 4x champs Marstellar and Haines (whom he pass on for Nevills). Not during Carl’s tenure, but Nazareth stud Tim Darling didn’t fare too well in Nit land. Others that didn’t go to PSU include Courts, Pletcher, Kemerer, Shields, and the previously mentioned Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

15 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Although Carl went to PSU due to the talent in PA, he doesn’t solely focus his recruiting there. He did not get 4x champs Marstellar and Haines (whom he pass on for Nevills). Not during Carl’s tenure, but Nazareth stud Tim Darling didn’t fare too well in Nit land. Others that didn’t go to PSU include Courts, Pletcher, Kemerer, Shields,

How heavily did Cael pursue Marstellar?

52 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Although Carl went to PSU due to the talent in PA, he doesn’t solely focus his recruiting there. He did not get 4x champs Marstellar and Haines (whom he pass on for Nevills). Not during Carl’s tenure, but Nazareth stud Tim Darling didn’t fare too well in Nit land. Others that didn’t go to PSU include Courts, Pletcher, Kemerer, Shields,

The only Pennsylvania wrestlers in the starting lineup for the Nittany Lions this past year were Schnupp, Nolf, and Joseph.

I bet Cael hardly went after Sasso same as he didn't go after the younger Ruth hard.  He chose Beard over Hoffman as well.

I do believe Sanderson can be very picky on his recruits that has more with being the right fit than how good you are.

23 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Although Carl went to PSU due to the talent in PA, he doesn’t solely focus his recruiting there. He did not get 4x champs Marstellar and Haines (whom he pass on for Nevills). Not during Carl’s tenure, but Nazareth stud Tim Darling didn’t fare too well in Nit land. Others that didn’t go to PSU include Courts, Pletcher, Kemerer, Shields, and the previously mentioned Lee.

Hard to argue with Cael's decisions here. Nevills > Haines and Joseph > Marsteller.

Other than Lee (possibly Kem), the others that didn't go PSU like Courts, Pletcher and Shields...meh.

18 minutes ago, panewbie1 said:

Hard to argue with Cael's decisions here. Nevills > Haines and Joseph > Marsteller.

Other than Lee (possibly Kem), the others that didn't go PSU like Courts, Pletcher and Shields...meh.

Cael recruited both Marstellar and Joseph. Marstellar de committed and went to Oklahoma State, then the following year Cael landed Joseph. The guy who originally replaced Marstellar as a recruit was Shakur Rasheed. The guy Cael chose Joseph over most likely is Kemerer. 

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Cael recruited both Marstellar and Joseph. Marstellar de committed and went to Oklahoma State, then the following year Cael landed Joseph. The guy who originally replaced Marstellar as a recruit was Shakur Rasheed. The guy Cael chose Joseph over most likely is Kemerer. 

Kemerer was 145 as a high school Senior and seemed like a 149/157 recruit. No need to go after him hard when you had Zain and Nolf already there and Joseph already signed.

1 hour ago, Erminio8 said:

Kemerer was 145 as a high school Senior and seemed like a 149/157 recruit. No need to go after him hard when you had Zain and Nolf already there and Joseph already signed.

Joseph came in at 157. Kem started at Iowa at 149 before bumping to 157. You are right that PSU already had Zain and Nolf, but the two of Joseph and Kem projected similarly both in weight and class year. 

b/c he wants to just lift weights and not develop in talent like tomasello, bo/micah jordan, and pretty much everyone.  maybe they have a good dining hall
Snyder is better than anyone that has ever wrestled for psu.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk