Housebuye

Pat Downey is still Pat Downey!

So I read all the “Heflin wouldn’t shake his hand,” comments....

Then I watched the video and he indeed wouldn’t.... until he did....  

Am I missing something or was that just a really awesome story?

On 5/20/2019 at 2:51 PM, bnwtwg said:

He accused Taylor of EPO doping and ducking him earlier today. I hit the follow button so hard that I cracked my screen. I'm buckling up for the wild ride my twitter feed is about to go through

A couple of people have said this.  Did he tweet it?  That is low unless he has some proof to share.

38 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

A couple of people have said this.  Did he tweet it?  That is low unless he has some proof to share.

His only "proof" is that TJ Dillashaw got caught with EPO on multiple tests, and DT flies out to CA to see the same nutritionist and exercise physiologist. Aaron Pico is a client as well, not that that matters to the wrestling world anymore.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Someone speculated DT with PEDs!!?!?!?!?! No way!!!! What made them think that!? 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA on the irony of Americans getting defensive about "speculation". 

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

His only "proof" is that TJ Dillashaw got caught with EPO on multiple tests, and DT flies out to CA to see the same nutritionist and exercise physiologist. Aaron Pico is a client as well, not that that matters to the wrestling world anymore.

Is that guy even an exercise physiologist?  His literature refers to him as a world class mathematician! I think he is actually a high school match teacher.

27 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Is that guy even an exercise physiologist?  His literature refers to him as a world class mathematician! I think he is actually a high school match teacher.

He is both. He teaches HS math. He also trains world class combat athletes. How that happened is beyond me, but he is extremely well-respected in MMA in particular. He prescribes both training regimens and diets.

38 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He is both. He teaches HS math. He also trains world class combat athletes. How that happened is beyond me, but he is extremely well-respected in MMA in particular. He prescribes both training regimens and diets.

I understand that he is respected.  And likely is very good at what he does.  But does he have a degree in physiology or nutrition?  Or is he just well read and a polymath?

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

what isn't math?

biometrics... it's a thing

Not saying it isn't a real thing.  But it still doesn't make him a nutritionist or physiologist by trade.  I would like to see a degree or at least a certificate!

Also,,, teaching AP math doesn't make you a world-class mathematician.  He hasn't won the Fields Prize to my knowledge.  I teach AP history... I'm pretty good, but not "world class"

the only thing a degree or certificate says is that you can read and stick with something, which, you basically already said earlier...

but, to be fair, he is a certified strength and conditioning coach, certified personal trainer, and certified ironman trainer... so, rest easy... he has several pieces of paper that says he knows something...

and apparently, he runs what is known as the "TOUGHEST WRESTLING CAMP IN AMERICA" in montana... 

(insert FREE CANDY van pic here)

I don't think any of the celebrity nutritionists (Callavita, Lockhart,  Dolce, et. al.) who are making 7 figures in MMA has even a bachelor's degree in nutrition. It's an interesting phenomenon that highly paid pro athletes entrust their bodies to these folks, but some of them do get very good results. Maybe they're chemists and not nutritionists and PD3 is barking up the wrong tree but the right forest?

You don't need a degree to  be X, Y, or Z. The guy never claimed to be a certified or educated nutritionist. But he is, by trade, a nutritionist, among other things.

look what "scientists" and "nutritionists" did with the food pyramid back in the 70s... point being, going to school just to learn faulty knowledge spouted by the highest bidder is not he be all end all... 

results is the real proof and lots of the guys mentioned above have shown enough results to get some props... and some of them can back their results up with sound scientific data and not just "bro science"...

I guess my point would be, without a degree or certificate of some kind, you would be much more liable if something went wrong for a litigious client.

Also--- "bro science" is a concern of mine.  I'm a Patriots fan, but I think Tom Brady's plan is ridiculous, despite his results.  The same holds true for Dake's methods.  

I think Cornell's Clint Wattenberg, who does a LOT of nutrition for these guys, DOES have a nutrition degree of some sort.

5 hours ago, LJB said:

the only thing a degree or certificate says is that you can read and stick with something, which, you basically already said earlier...

but, to be fair, he is a certified strength and conditioning coach, certified personal trainer, and certified ironman trainer... so, rest easy... he has several pieces of paper that says he knows something...

and apparently, he runs what is known as the "TOUGHEST WRESTLING CAMP IN AMERICA" in montana... 

(insert FREE CANDY van pic here)

Not only is it the toughest camp, it is widely known as the toughest camp.  

On 5/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, TBar1977 said:

Downey beat a guy who has zero offense by nearly the virtual minimum score of 2-0. I guess it could have been worse, like 1-0. Can't believe he was chest thumping over that win.

Agreed.  As I remember it, you handled your World Team Trials championship with grace and gravitas.