Panther78

Transfer Success Stories?

Former UFC Champ Chris Weidman wrestled for two years at Nassau CC before transferring to Hofstra where he placed 3rd at NCAAs as a senior.  

Anyone know of a D3>D1 transfer that placed at D1 nationals?  In this thread there were examples of Juco/D2/NAIA>D1 AA, but not a D3>D1 AA. I know that back when the D3 champs got a bid to D1 nationals some placed like Famiano and Winnie from Brockport, but I don't know of a transfer that AAed. 

Lehigh fans, wasn’t there a kid who wrestled club level (in Florida somewhere?) then transferred in and was at least a national qualifier? Not exactly an answer to OP but a different path than most. 

Mark Schultz. Transferred from UCLA after one year(they cut the program) to Oklahoma and won three NCAA titles. In High School he never won a tournament - while winning a California State Title.

Ben Ojai, Jr College All American went to BYU in Utah and finished 2nd and 3rd at the NCAA Tournament.

11 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Lehigh fans, wasn’t there a kid who wrestled club level (in Florida somewhere?) then transferred in and was at least a national qualifier? Not exactly an answer to OP but a different path than most. 

Santiago Martinez.

Mark Cody was a transfer himself...  maybe that contributed to his propensity to recruit successful transfers.  He transferred from State University of New York at Delhi to Missouri where he was an AA.  Delhi was competing in NJCAA at the time.  I think they recently went up to D3, but they dropped wrestling long before that.

18 hours ago, jbonecapone said:

Tywan Claxton AA'd for King (TN) then transferred to Ohio. Didn't AA but beat #1 guy from Mizz. Wrestled well and now in Bellator

Seemed like Claxton was always about to break through and AA. Was surprised he never made it.

7 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Seemed like Claxton was always about to break through and AA. Was surprised he never made it.

Claxton was up one with 5 secs to go in a blood round match his senior season.  He got reversed.  He is now an undefeated MMA competitor and has told me he's driven by the disappointment he felt over that loss.  

3 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Isaiah White.  He transferred in from a lower division to Nebraska and is an AA (5th) with one year left to compete.

And he was a D2 champ

I think he is talented enough to be a D1 champ. He is just in an insane weight. I also think the no redshirt thing probably hurt him. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Not really a transfer but Brian Picklo went from not wrestling at all to an AA at Michigan State.  

More specifically, he walked on to Michigan State after never qualifying for the state meet in high school, almost got cut from the team that first year, but hung in there and went on to place twice in Div. I.

Isaiah White was a DII national champ for Notre Dame College.

With one year left, he was round of twelve as a sophomore and placed fifth as a junior for Nebraska.

Will always wonder whether or not he would have made a difference in Cleveland vs TC. Never heard why he did not end up in Columbus but hard to argue against Green and Burroughs as workout partners.

Minnesota Gophers Top Ten Transfers (that I can remember)

1.  Marty Morgan  NCAA Champ, 2nd, 6th

2.  Brock Lesnar  NCAA Champ, 2nd

3.  Ryan Lewis  NCAA 2nd 2X

4.  Shelton Benjamin  NCAA 3rd, 5th

5.  Michael Foy  NCAA qualifier, Olympian

6.  Bobbe Lowe  NCAA  AA

7.  Devin Skatzka  NCAA  AA

8.  Sean Russell  NCAA Qualifier  Ranked top 6.

9.  Steve Bleise  2x NCAA Qualifier  Ranked top 10

10.  Gerald Carr  NCAA Qualifier  Ranked top 8