Sign in to follow this  
Chitown

Highest Quality Rivalry

Thinking about all time rivalries like what we had some recent tastes with Nolf & IMAR (albeit 1 year), and Bo & Martin, etc. but these are nothing compared to some of the best..I can't think of a rivalry with such great matches and high quality competitors as with Nate Carr & Kenny Monday. On top of that, era-wise, you had some great competitors  around that same weight. You had Metzker & Zelski twice in the finals and the era was tough to beat on quality with guys like Schultz, Metzker, Burley, Frizzell, Kistler, Heffernan, Lee Roy Smith

Just looking at Carr & Monday's bios after is all said and done...wow. Man those were some great matches.

*Nate Carr, Iowa State - Nate Carr was a three-time NCAA champion for the Cyclones in the early 1980's. His last two titles were achieved via overtime wins over his greatest rival - Oklahoma State's Kenny Monday, an NCAA, world and Olympic champion. Carr was a bronze medalist at the 1988 Olympics.

(1981 NCAA Champ 150, 1982 NCAA Champ 150 in OT over Monday), 1983 NCAA Champ in OT over Monday

*Kenny Monday, Oklahoma State - 1988 Olympic gold medal. He also won a world championship in 1989 and a silver medal in Barcelona 1992. He was an NCAA champion in 1984 and a runner-up in 1982 and 1983.  Two tough loses in 82/83 and wins with future champs like Urbano & Kistler in the weight

At that same weight you had guys like Roger Frizzell from Oklahoma who was 3,3,3,4 and could have been a 3xr in any other era. 

Down below them at 142 you had Metzker and Daryl Burley who was 3x champ, 4 x finalist..... 

As much as we think this is a great time now, I just don't know if they guys will be as iconic as these, perhaps JB excluded.

Carr and Monday was a great rivalry. Monday beat him at Big 8 both years that Carr beat him in NCAA finals iirc. 

As you mentioned Zalesky and Metzger was another good one. Same era Banach/Schultz, Banach/Mann, Schultz/Hummel Goldman/Chaid just a few more that come to mind. 

12 hours ago, KTG119 said:

Carr and Monday was a great rivalry. Monday beat him at Big 8 both years that Carr beat him in NCAA finals iirc. 

As you mentioned Zalesky and Metzger was another good one. Same era Banach/Schultz, Banach/Mann, Schultz/Hummel Goldman/Chaid just a few more that come to mind. 

Yeah, every time they wrestled at NCAAs Monday was the favorite. That was so annoying when Carr beat him both times, lol. Awesome matches. The only other guy at their weight that could hang with those guys was Frizzell, but I don't know if he ever beat either of them. I wrestled one of Frizzell's cousins in a tourney one time :D

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Of IMAR/PSU rivalries, I think I’d put Joseph/Imar ahead of Nolf.

Zahid/Hall pretty good too

True, but when all is said and done, will both of them be Olympians?

6 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Yeah, every time they wrestled at NCAAs Monday was the favorite. That was so annoying when Carr beat him both times, lol. Awesome matches. The only other guy at their weight that could hang with those guys was Frizzell, but I don't know if he ever beat either of them. I wrestled one of Frizzell's cousins in a tourney one time :D

Frizzell used to post on here. In my book, def one of the best guys to never make a final. That era OU was something special with him, Metzger, Dave and Mark, Dr Death, etc. 

9 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Frizzell used to post on here. In my book, def one of the best guys to never make a final. That era OU was something special with him, Metzger, Dave and Mark, Dr Death, etc. 

Yeah, he was a pretty salty wrestler, probably would've been a multiple NCAA champ if not for Monday and Carr. From what I understand these days Frizzell is a CEO or something and filthy rich.