Jimmy Cinnabon

Calling my shot: Cox by tech/fall over Nickal at Final X

nawwww...

It is possible, but one thing that is probable is Jden Cox winning.  I just don't see Bo winning after watching Mach vs Bo at the world team trials.

Two studs that's for sure.  I think going from college to men's senior freestyle is a lot like going from amateurs to the pro game.  Can a guy fresh into the league dethrone the king.  It's rare, but it has happened before.  I've had plenty of match ups that I didn't care who won, but this is one of the rare times I've wanted both guys to win.  I'll be surprised by a t-fall, but I've read references to J'Den really coming into his own now, and I think we may be in for a treat.  I do not want to bet, but this final X thingy has my attention.  Nice promotion with the layers of qualifier, and build up you have created for the  final X.  This has the potential to be a marketing masterpiece in my opinion.  

5 minutes ago, Peso said:

Two studs that's for sure.  I think going from college to men's senior freestyle is a lot like going from amateurs to the pro game.  

I was somewhat surprised to hear Bo Nickal expressing the exact opposite opinion in his interview after winning the World Team Trials and qualifying for Final X. He said that the NCAA tournament was comparable to the freestyle tournaments. I come to the conclusion that he hasn't faced enough tough freestyle competition. That will change soon. I'm rooting for him against Cox, of course, as I'm a Pa. homer and admitted PSU supporter. This matchup, and Bo Nickal, is great for the sport!

2 hours ago, Peso said:

Two studs that's for sure.  I think going from college to men's senior freestyle is a lot like going from amateurs to the pro game.  Can a guy fresh into the league dethrone the king.  It's rare, but it has happened before.  I've had plenty of match ups that I didn't care who won, but this is one of the rare times I've wanted both guys to win.  I'll be surprised by a t-fall, but I've read references to J'Den really coming into his own now, and I think we may be in for a treat.  I do not want to bet, but this final X thingy has my attention.  Nice promotion with the layers of qualifier, and build up you have created for the  final X.  This has the potential to be a marketing masterpiece in my opinion.  

Two Words:  Leon Spinks.

Well it's possible that J'den teches Bo, but I don't believe very probable, since J'den doesn't tech that many people. ( Looking back at last year's World Cup and World Championship, I believe J'den only teched one guy (Ishiguro of Japan, at the World Cup). Additionally as a fan I am hoping for some highly competitive matches between these two, and not a one sided tech, because highly competitive matches "should" mean that our 2nd place guy isn't that far off, and it shows that we have some good depth at this weight. 

I can see it, Cox may be improving more than anyone on the team with his tutelage under Jackson and move to the RTC

Bo is mythisized right now as a legend but like all all time great college wrestlers, they get a wake up call internationally. Bo isn't even on metcalf's level as college wrestlers go.

If Cox stays stingy and solid I don't think Nickal has much offense. Bo relies on the big move and funky positions

Nickal has been very dominant against freestylers who aren’t terribly well know for ... freestyle. There’s no reason to believe that just because he looked so good against Macc that he will be in the same ball park as Cox. Look at it this way. Nolf looked “not ready for prime time” but then again he wrestled Imart who has been wrestling freestyle at the senior level and showing good results. He had a close one with world medalist Green. Bo hasn’t wrestled anyone of that caliber as yet. That being said, as everyone else already pointed out, Cox isn’t a prolific techer. 

7 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

I can see it, Cox may be improving more than anyone on the team with his tutelage under Jackson and move to the RTC

Bo is mythisized right now as a legend but like all all time great college wrestlers, they get a wake up call internationally. Bo isn't even on metcalf's level as college wrestlers go.

If Cox stays stingy and solid I don't think Nickal has much offense. Bo relies on the big move and funky positions

Why are you holding Metcalf in such high regards. Bo had a better college career (I don’t even think that’s debatable), and internationally Metcalf never produced. His biggest competition domestically was JO and he still hasn’t made a team. I’m not picking Bo but I’m interested to see if he’s close to the world champ. 

What if... 

Bo beats Cox?  How will we all react?  Will we be sad?  Disappointed?  Happy for Bo?  Proclaim Bo as the next Kyle Snyder?  Predict a WC for him?  

What if...

Bo destroys Cox?  How will we all react?  

Many on this forum aren't giving Bo a fighting chance, and it's understandable.  His stiffest competition has been (most recently) Zillmer and Macch, and neither of them have international results that beg a conversation.  Kollin Moore is effectively 5th on the Senior ladder now, and he's a Junior / U23 Medalist.  I suppose that Bo beating Kollin decisively has to count for a little bit of something.  But...

What if... 

The true  answer : " we don't know"

What we do know:

We  have two very special wrestlers.

One is an Athletic beast that has been getting better and better technically.

One is uncanny ability get it done .

Basically we need wait we to see how Bo stacks up to best in world. 

Frank C

On 5/21/2019 at 7:17 PM, pa in taiwan said:

I was somewhat surprised to hear Bo Nickal expressing the exact opposite opinion in his interview after winning the World Team Trials and qualifying for Final X. He said that the NCAA tournament was comparable to the freestyle tournaments. I come to the conclusion that he hasn't faced enough tough freestyle competition. That will change soon. I'm rooting for him against Cox, of course, as I'm a Pa. homer and admitted PSU supporter. This matchup, and Bo Nickal, is great for the sport!

Yeah, he was just talking...
Not sure if it was the same interview but when asked about going to the worlds with DT, he said it really made it less intimidating because the techniques weren't anything he hadn't seen or couldn't beat.....

I feel like it's a HS kid, saying:.... "wait.... if these senior level guys would just sprawl, Burroughs couldn't double them.... I never get doubled and I'm only in HS... I could compete"

Obviously that's a little over exaggerated, but nobody we have domestically (Who he has beaten) is top 30 in the world, it'll be a monster step up. Like somebody previously said... 
It's going to be exactly like Nolf, beating up Massa and Murphy, then speculating he will do the same against Burroughs. 
Obviously IMAR got him, but IMAR is in that fringe top 20 range. It doesn't diminish the fact that the jump is significant. 

I wouldn't think Cox ever gets in trouble. Just too solid. 

On 5/22/2019 at 1:51 PM, treep2000 said:

What if... 

Bo beats Cox?  How will we all react?  Will we be sad?  Disappointed?  Happy for Bo?  Proclaim Bo as the next Kyle Snyder?  Predict a WC for him?  

What if...

Bo destroys Cox?  How will we all react?  

Yeah, if any guy at Final X, above 70kg "DESTROYS" the incumbent, we will consider them a WC contender ('Cept for Gadson)
If anyone beats any of the incumbents 70kg and above they will be a "medal threat"
That will be the overall reaction, because most people on here are reasonable.  

Edited by spladle08

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Still upset over that 10-0, 15second tech from 2 years ago?

You mean the one where he was taken down within 15 seconds and then backed-out of the upperbody tie? The one 19 mins after beating Dean and Asper before that, after not being on the mat for 3 months? Nah, it's all good. 

52 minutes ago, Blue Dragons said:

You mean the one where he was taken down within 15 seconds and then backed-out of the upperbody tie? The one 19 mins after beating Dean and Asper before that, after not being on the mat for 3 months? Nah, it's all good. 

Good way of showing it.

I'm equally confident that J'Den will beat Bo as I am that he will not tech-fall him.  Unless Bo finds a way to completely piss him off somehow, but I've rarely seen someone as unreal cool under pressure as J'den

What about like opponent's. Moore and Zillmer. Bo beat them worse. Much worse. All iam saying with that is Bo has a chance. It wouldnt be the most anticipated match of Final X if we didnt think he had chance!