spladle08

Chamizo's Weight Had Me Thinking

He has a World Bronze from 2010 at 55kg (121lbs)
and numerous accomplishments at 74kg (163lbs)
Assuming he tacks on a World Medal this year, that's world medals 42lbs apart.

Aside from some guys who went from the upper weights to Heavy, what are some huge jumps in weight people have made and still been able to medal. 
Yazdani went from 70kg to 86kg and has World medals at both, that's 35lbs 

Obviously it's doable, its just amazing to me these guys don't look drastically undersized. 
I can't imagine any of our 125's growing into 163's 
or our 154's growing into 189's and still being competitive.

My international follow has only been the past 15 years or so, so if there are some very notable stories do tell.  

Edited by spladle08

5 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

If you're counting junior worlds, I remember Yazdani destroying Aaron Pico at 66kg for the Junior World Gold Medal in 2014. Tack on another 9 pounds.

If you're counting junior worlds, I remember Yazdani destroying Aaron Pico at 66kg for the Junior World Gold Medal in 2014. Tack on another 9 pounds.
Haha I was only counting senior level accomplishments. Cause juniors and cadets, lord knows, lots of growing still to come.

But yeah that dude just kept going. Now hes one of the bigger 86kg guys.

The weigh-in changes and increase to 10 weights played a big part to these huge weight jumps.  You have multiple world level guys who could make 57kg with one night before weighins up at 65 now. 

Edited by Gantry

The weigh-in changes and increase to 10 weights played a big part to these huge weight jumps.  You have multiple world level guys who could make 57kg with one night before weighins up at 65 now. 
2shay great observation, I dont know why I always forget the drastic impact the weighin rules had.

Franklin Gómez — who won a world silver at 60 kg — just gave JB all he could handle. 
Yeah love me some Franklin.
Like Chamizo I wonder if they felt a little more free with their ability to gain weight, since "making the team" never had to be in question.
Yazdani is from a wrestling rich nation, but hes simply a savage.

Without the domestic roadblocks associated with weight gain I wonder how many of our guys would try to add on muscle and not cut so much.

I mean Nolf said screw cutting and took his lumps and as a result wont get a shot at worlds this year but theoretically he is getting his body ready for the future.

On the other hand they asked Graff in his interview what he planned on doing during the Olympic year and he seemingly had no idea. Hmmmm weights are neat. The 10 olympics weights is slowly growing on me, but mostly cause those 134 guys get hosed so hard.

Naw who am I kidding, I like the concentration of everyone good.

I don't think I see the same Yazdani as you.
I just rewatched a bit of 2 of his matches, Asian finals of last year and DT at worlds, he and DT are similar, maybe he is more barrel chested, DT is more all-over thick.

I guess I assumed he was bigger by the way he horses people around with that underhook. But you're right. Still a little undersized. Just a savage.

Just rewatched the entire match and yeah hes not as big, just a tough dude. He gassed hard though and DTs scramblin is tough to match.

Think I'm going to rewatch DTs whole run, had some close calls in there. Interested in how he does this year.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

Just rewatched the entire match and yeah hes not as big, just a tough dude. He gassed hard though and DTs scramblin is tough to match.

Think I'm going to rewatch DTs whole run, had some close calls in there. Interested in how he does this year.

I don't think there is any doubt to his skill.

I do like how DT moved up. Yazdani seems to just move up because he can and because he needed to. Not just because he needed to.

He knew he would have to go 86 this cycle so he didn't mess around and just quit cutting, whereas DT had to give 86kg a go so he filled out appropriately.

This being said I don't think either are close to being big. Bear in mind Salas and Sad were both 86kg just 2 years ago.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I just rewatched a bit of 2 of his matches, Asian finals of last year and DT at worlds, he and DT are similar, maybe he is more barrel chested, DT is more all-over thick.

I guess I assumed he was bigger by the way he horses people around with that underhook. But you're right. Still a little undersized. Just a savage.

Every time I watch that sequence at 2:30 left I let out a proper holler.

Absolutely broke him there.

5 hours ago, spladle08 said:

He has a World Bronze from 2010 at 55kg (121lbs)
and numerous accomplishments at 74kg (163lbs)
Assuming he tacks on a World Medal this year, that's world medals 42lbs apart.

Aside from some guys who went from the upper weights to Heavy, what are some huge jumps in weight people have made and still been able to medal. 

Obviously it's doable, its just amazing to me these guys don't look drastically undersized. 
I can't imagine any of our 125's growing into 163's 
or our 154's growing into 189's and still being competitive.

My international follow has only been the past 15 years or so, so if there are some very notable stories do tell.  

Just these two guys show how great JB is, JB basically has beaten the best from 55 to 86 kilograms. p4p champ. And yes I'm using the common opponent strategy with Taylors win over Yazdani is a win for JB. Any common opponent transitive property JB has beaten everyone

Edited by alliseeisgold

Yazdani was actually a 55kg guy when I first saw him. He's placed at every world tournament I've seen him wrestle in since then. That year I believe he took a silver or bronze at Cadet worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Gantry said:

The 10 real weights and 6 Olympic weight thing is also a factor.  Guessing Chamizo and Gomez would both be at 70kg if that was an Olympic weight. 

Who are we kidding.....Chamizo changed weights because he saw the writing on the wall and knew he wasn't beating Romanov. :D

Who are we kidding.....Chamizo changed weights because he saw the writing on the wall and knew he wasn't beating Romanov. :D
Lol Lies. I think the dude just loves to eat. His Instagram basically belongs on the food network. :)

That said: I hope we see prime Romanov at worlds. :)

Just now, spladle08 said:

Lol Lies. I think the dude just loves to eat. His Instagram basically belongs on the food network. :)

That said: I hope we see prime Romanov at worlds. :)

LOL! 

I hope so too! Interesting to see how he fairs at Sassari. I'm wondering if he does well at 70 this weekend will he just screw the weight cut and go to 74 for World's...

LOL! 
I hope so too! Interesting to see how he fairs at Sassari. I'm wondering if he does well at 70 this weekend will he just screw the weight cut and go to 74 for World's...
He said recently the plan was already to be down at 65kg but it's been a slower progression than he thought

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:
3 minutes ago, MrDream said:
LOL! 

He said recently the plan was already to be down at 65kg but it's been a slower progression than he thought

I heard that too. Whichever weight he decides, I am like you, I hope we see him at 100% by World's!