LifeintheRed

Who's the best wrestler you've ever wrestled?

All in HS, blew out shoulder before Sr. year in HS

Sean O'Day - NCAA Champ for Edinboro - Lost twice - pretty  close matches

Bubba Strauss - Ohio State champ, Went to Iowa. Lost in St. Ed's finals. Worst 6-0 ass whooping of my life.  Link below to Spiral ride.

Craig Olmstead - Match where I blew my shoulder out. Defending world (?) and National Greco champ and I was leading when I fell back and posted with arm. (Had to be leg foul btw)

Paul Keysaw - NCAA Champ - Won, match not close

Beat a few PA state champs in FS (Reed and Kennedy) and pinned NY state champ (Billups) in folkstyle and a bunch of PA placers. Never made it to PA states though. Headcase with confidence/pressure issues.

Jimmy Carr was my coach in 7th and 8th grade, Nate would come practice at his alma matre to work with brothers Solo and Mike when on break from Iowa State. Those guys showed me what wrestling the next level felt like. Humiliating, demoralizing and baffling. Incredibly talented and were the nicest guys off the mat. 

37 minutes ago, jstock said:

All in HS, blew out shoulder before Sr. year in HS

Sean O'Day - NCAA Champ for Edinboro - Lost twice - pretty  close matches

Bubba Strauss - Ohio State champ, Went to Iowa. Lost in St. Ed's finals. Worst 6-0 ass whooping of my life.  Link below to Spiral ride.

Craig Olmstead - Match where I blew my shoulder out. Defending world (?) and National Greco champ and I was leading when I fell back and posted with arm. (Had to be leg foul btw)

Paul Keysaw - NCAA Champ - Won, match not close

Beat a few PA state champs in FS (Reed and Kennedy) and pinned NY state champ (Billups) in folkstyle and a bunch of PA placers. Never made it to PA states though. Headcase with confidence/pressure issues.

Jimmy Carr was my coach in 7th and 8th grade, Nate would come practice at his alma matre to work with brothers Solo and Mike when on break from Iowa State. Those guys showed me what wrestling the next level felt like. Humiliating, demoralizing and baffling. Incredibly talented and were the nicest guys off the mat. 

Erie Tech HS?  

Lost a ranking match to Karl Lynes at OSU, 11-5 or something like that. Pinned the Army HWT FS champ in 1993, but damned if I can remember his name (he was just big/strong, not that great a wrestler).

Edited by TobusRex

3 hours ago, jstock said:

tightwaist - Yes -  Centaurs !

Sounds like we were around the same era.  That’s an impressive list of grapplers that you’ve competed against.  

I didn’t wrestle many NW Pa guys, except a kid from Redbank and another from Hickory. I see Sean O’Day every once in a while, down here in Va

On 5/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, jstock said:

Nate Carr almost crippled me numerous times just demonstrating moves when we were coaching together. Specifically, his duck to bodylock series was the most I have ever felt completely out of my own control on a mat, and I have never put my hands on that powerful of a human being

Guys I lost to:

John Smith - Oklahoma State - the low single makes him much faster than he looks. You catch yourself at beginning of match thinking “this guy doesn’t look that big”, while is knee locking you on a low single. There is absolutely no way to slow him down or stall on him unless you have great hips. 

Pat Santoro - Pittsburgh- Rips your arms off - only guy you ever thought about not getting hurt and wonder if you will be able move your shoulders at age 50.

Sean O'Day - Edinboro - Strong as **** - have no idea how he made it down to 134 after going 142. You can shoot on him, but his guns were strong. 

John Fisher - Michigan - athletic but you can score on him

Larry Gotcher - Michigan - huge for weight

Joey Bales - Northwestern

A few guys I beat who were Big Ten finalists.

Brad Gintert - Ohio State, Brian Smith  - Michigan State