Sign in to follow this  
wrestlingnerd

Anthony Valencia: what NCAA weight this season?

I was a little surprised to see him at 74 kg for freestyle at the WTT. Is he going to be back at 165 this coming season? I was on board with those who speculated he'd be at 174 and Zahid would move up to 184. I get he'd rather not compete against his brother at 79 kg, but the fact that he made 74 kg with 2-hour weigh-ins and looked decent suggests he may be back at 165.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Rumor has it that 157 is in his future.

He may go 149 depending on how the wrestle-off with Teemer goes.

He is shooting for 65kg for Oly.

He wrestles for ASU not Ok State. 

He will spend all summer eating at Taco Carts and worksite Roach Coaches in Arizona and challenge Cassar and Steveson for the heavyweight title as he seeks to be another Curly Culp.

Edited by WillieBoy
Wasn't dumb enough the first time around

10 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I was a little surprised to see him at 74 kg for freestyle at the WTT. Is he going to be back at 165 this coming season? I was on board with those who speculated he'd be at 174 and Zahid would move up to 184. I get he'd rather not compete against his brother at 79 kg, but the fact that he made 74 kg with 2-hour weigh-ins and looked decent suggests he may be back at 165.

Better question- who cares?

9 hours ago, treep2000 said:

He's a bit of an enigma.  Has the skill to be an NCAA Champ.  Has the skill to DNP.  It doesn't matter the weight, as the answer is still the same.  

Dnp much more likely considering he got majored by the ncaa 8th place finisher at Midlands.

7 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

Better question- who cares?

Dnp much more likely considering he got majored by the ncaa 8th place finisher at Midlands.

Steiert may very well beat him anyway.  But, gauging him based on a match while redshirting coming off surgery is questionable at best.  Hell, he was gassed 2 minutes into the 1st period.  He absolutely is good enough to AA at 165, if healthy.  His staying at 165 would not only effect 174/184 depending on where Zahid ends up, but it would make 165 even harder than it already is.

On top of it all, that was the only date he competed that season and he defaulted immediately after that match......

16 minutes ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Not sure if poster saying he is dropping 1 possible two weights is serious but if he is I do not seem him doing as well as at 165. JMO

Super cereal.

Decent plan is for 149 so he can go 65kg for Oly trials.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Steiert may very well beat him anyway.  But, gauging him based on a match while redshirting coming off surgery is questionable at best.  Hell, he was gassed 2 minutes into the 1st period.  He absolutely is good enough to AA at 165, if healthy.  His staying at 165 would not only effect 174/184 depending on where Zahid ends up, but it would make 165 even harder than it already is.

On top of it all, that was the only date he competed that season and he defaulted immediately after that match......

Shields (6/7) is back at 165 so AV going 165 would not make 165 "even harder than it already is"  

https://www.wrestlestat.com/team/4/arizona-state/profile

In all seriousness, he only has one weight he can go: 174

Maruca-Listed as likely 149lb starter. Can he make 141? Maybe.

Teemer-Listed as likely 157lb starter. Can he make 149? Yes. He was barely a few pounds away from 65kg(143lbs).

Shields-Listed as 165lb starter. Can he make 157? Sure. Should he? No. 163lbs is the Oly weight. He is a senior. Beat him or move. Odds are Valencia doesn't beat him.

A Valencia-Listed as likely 174lb starter. Again: I see him going 74kg for Oly trials. So it's a finicky wicket.

Z Valencia-Starter at 184. His move up is needed for Oly weight of 189lbs.

Norfleet-Starter at 197, bit undersized. I think he'll be back down to 184 once Zahid graduates.

All in all Anthiny's best chance is 174. The team's best results may be with a drop, though and Shields or Anthony going down to 157.

I don't see it happening. I think wrestlestat nails the weights 149+ w/ the lone exception that Schultz may beat Hall out for the spot immediately.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.

2 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Shields (6/7) is back at 165 so AV going 165 would not make 165 "even harder than it already is"  

That is based on the fact that you don't believe he can beat out Shields.  By transitive property, his being better(if he does in fact beat him out) than Shields WOULD make it tougher than it already is.........

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

That is based on the fact that you don't believe he can beat out Shields.  By transitive property, his being better(if he does in fact beat him out) than Shields WOULD make it tougher than it already is.........

That's a tall order since Anthony has done exactly jack since getting to ASU. Seems like a good kid though, wish him the best.

Edited by TobusRex

4 hours ago, TobusRex said:

That's a tall order since Anthony has done exactly jack since getting to ASU. Seems like a good kid though, wish him the best.

Exactly jack?  R12 and R16 is exactly jack?  I get that he hasn't met the super high expectations, but he was a matter of seconds away from AAing as a freshman and had a straight up battle with Rogers in the R16 the year after.  Shields is solid, but I wouldn't be surprised if Valencia knocked him off.

7 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Exactly jack?  R12 and R16 is exactly jack?  I get that he hasn't met the super high expectations, but he was a matter of seconds away from AAing as a freshman and had a straight up battle with Rogers in the R16 the year after.  Shields is solid, but I wouldn't be surprised if Valencia knocked him off.

Anthony could beat Shields by tech fall very easily. But he could also lose to him.  He's really better suited for freestyle honestly, but Anthony's problem isn't a lack of technical skill, he just gets into his own head a lot and it makes him do things that he normally doesn't do an inopportune times.  He's a world class wrestler honestly.  Like he'll just do something that will make you think WTF is he doing? And then have to battle back from a big deficit.  If he opened up more and just swung for the fences for 6 minutes there wouldn't be many guys who could hang with him.  

8 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

Anthony could beat Shields by tech fall very easily. But he could also lose to him.  He's really better suited for freestyle honestly, but Anthony's problem isn't a lack of technical skill, he just gets into his own head a lot and it makes him do things that he normally doesn't do an inopportune times.  He's a world class wrestler honestly.  Like he'll just do something that will make you think WTF is he doing? And then have to battle back from a big deficit.  If he opened up more and just swung for the fences for 6 minutes there wouldn't be many guys who could hang with him.  

We are talking Folkstyle College here.

Compare them and their results.

In what universe does any of that say that he should tech fall him? When does he stop getting credit for results from when he was in high school? When will Shields start getting credit for actual college results and the work he's put in?

I think Anthony AAs this year at 174. 

Hall and Amine will be the favorites, but both might take Olympic shirts (im not sure how that works if you don’t wrestle for the US, but I assume it is possible). 

Lewis graduated (who would beat Anthony 20/10 times. Such a bad style matchup)

the next tier of the weight, if Anthony is on point, is Anthony’s tier alongside McFadden, Kutler, Labriola, lujan, Skatska, and Womack. Maybe a couple others. 

Anthony only needs to beat 1-2 guys in this tier to AA. If Hall and Amine Olympic shirt, he could even be top 5ish

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I think Anthony AAs this year at 174. 

Hall and Amine will be the favorites, but both might take Olympic shirts (im not sure how that works if you don’t wrestle for the US, but I assume it is possible). 

Lewis graduated (who would beat Anthony 20/10 times. Such a bad style matchup)

the next tier of the weight, if Anthony is on point, is Anthony’s tier alongside McFadden, Kutler, Labriola, lujan, Skatska, and Womack. Maybe a couple others. 

Anthony only needs to beat 1-2 guys in this tier to AA. If Hall and Amine Olympic shirt, he could even be top 5ish

Don't forget Kemerer.