Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Threatened by "College Wrestler"

So I am on a very crowded subway and the guy behind me keeps sticking his elbow into by back so he can clear space for reading some papers.  I suppose I lean back into him and at one point he yells at me to stop pushing. I turn and tell him to stop sticking his elbow in my back. Pretty soon he starts asking me if I wanna fight and adds a warning that he he was "college wrestler so I know how to roll."  The guy is short and fat and maybe 50 years old (shorter than me and fatter than me and I am pretty short). "College wrestler," he says, "just telling you because if you wanna fight" as if being a college wrestler many years back makes his hands lethal weapons. 

I found this odd as I have never heard "college wrestler" used as a threat. 

Anyway, the subway doors opened and we both got out. He scurried away.

11 hours ago, NJDan said:

So I am on a very crowded subway and the guy behind me keeps sticking his elbow into by back so he can clear space for reading some papers.  I suppose I lean back into him and at one point he yells at me to stop pushing. I turn and tell him to stop sticking his elbow in my back. Pretty soon he starts asking me if I wanna fight and adds a warning that he he was "college wrestler so I know how to roll."  The guy is short and fat and maybe 50 years old (shorter than me and fatter than me and I am pretty short). "College wrestler," he says, "just telling you because if you wanna fight" as if being a college wrestler many years back makes his hands lethal weapons. 

I found this odd as I have never heard "college wrestler" used as a threat. 

Anyway, the subway doors opened and we both got out. He scurried away.

He claims you're the one who scurried away.

It's not surprising that somebody from NJ screwed up subway etiquette completely.  Word of advice: only start a fight with somebody on the subway if you are the crazier person.  Also, watch out for getting kicked once somebody gets into a car and yells "Showtime."  

Your story reminds me of a warning our HS wrestling coach always gave his wrestlers.  Remember, if  you get into a fight on the playground - there is one counter to any wrestling move that is highly effective - a punch in the face!

Guys who actually know how to fight typically do not broadcast said fact.  

He's probably a high school JV guy that said to himself that he wrestled in college so many times that he actually believes it.  

Also... Wrestling in a street fight is really good.  Adding a little submission work is even better.  ;-)

4 hours ago, JerryCallo said:

Your story reminds me of a warning our HS wrestling coach always gave his wrestlers.  Remember, if  you get into a fight on the playground - there is one counter to any wrestling move that is highly effective - a punch in the face!

Jerry - Your picture does not look like any Pink Floyd shirt I've ever seen. 

mspart

On 5/24/2019 at 1:59 PM, JerryCallo said:

Well - it is both!  It is pink and it is also Floyd!  What more do you want? 

I see what you did there with Mr Lawson, but I am still a little confused.

DazedCriterion04.jpg

That's weird, I was riding a crowded subway and some pervert kept trying to push his butt into my crotch. I pushed him away with my elbows. When he complained, I told him i was a wrestler and he better watch out. This seemed to arouse him so I ran away as quickly as I could at the next stop.

57 minutes ago, scribe said:

That's weird, I was riding a crowded subway and some pervert kept trying to push his butt into my crotch. I pushed him away with my elbows. When he complained, I told him i was a wrestler and he better watch out. This seemed to arouse him so I obtained his number and we spent a lovely evening together.

FIFY

UFC has proven that our sport is also a martial art. The lopsided success by wrestlers (SeaBass) just wrote about this, has proven that wrestling is a great advantage. In fact, UFC president Dana White was asked , if a kid is just beginning, where would you recommend he start?  White said wrestling. If it’s true that the guy did wrestle in college, and it’s true that most street fights end up on the ground, then I am going to respect the college wrestler. 

Edited by Wrestlingbcpc

11 hours ago, Wrestlingbcpc said:

UFC has proven that our sport is also a martial art. The lopsided success by wrestlers (SeaBass) just wrote about this, has proven that wrestling is a great advantage. In fact, UFC president Dana White was asked , if a kid is just beginning, where would you recommend he start?  White said wrestling. If it’s true that the guy did wrestle in college, and it’s true that most street fights end up on the ground, then I am going to respect the college wrestler. 

Wrestling is a great martial art. In 6th grade I got into a fight with a kid (same height, weight, etc) after football practice. He was pissed off he was 2nd team behind me and wanted to beat me up. He was already a 2 or 3 time state Golden Gloves Boxing champion (and would continue to win them until he graduated). I was a kid who caught the last 2 weeks of wrestling season in 4th grade and who was a second team wrestler (5-4) in 5th grade.  Guys who watched the fight said he was popping me pretty good UNTIL I TOOK HIM DOWN. I put him in a headlock with my left arm, pounded him with my right until I got bored with that, and then proceeded to grate the skin off half his face on the parking lot asphalt. I'd probably still be in that parking lot grinding that kid's face to dust if an adult hadn't come along and literally pulled me off him. That kid quit the football team the next day and never bugged me again. Also it showed me something else: boxing is pretty pathetic. If a reserve, beginner wrestler can handle a state boxing champ that easily it says a lot about their respective sports.