Sign in to follow this  
ccrider55

UALR in the PAC-12

This seems like a weird affiliation from a geography standpoint although it’s good that the PAC 12 will now be back up to 6 Teams.

Not knowing all the circumstances....... it just seems that the Southern Conference, MAC, or Big 12 would have made more sense in many ways.

The EIWA (most of the teams) offered to let Cornell join the new MAC/EWL merger since Cornell is geographically closer and then both leagues would be at 16. (Not really but several coaches had fun at Rob's expense!).

;)

4 hours ago, pamela said:

Yah, the Pac and B12 should do some swaps.

That would be logical, but for now I am glad the Pac 12 does not fall to at-large qualifier status. 

The logical Pac 12 would have Fresno State, N. Colorado, Utah Valley, Cal Baptist and Wyoming added to Oregon State, Arizona State, Cal Bakersfield, Cal Poly and Stanford. This would create a 10 team conference with way more competition. Luckily, the Pac12 is now open to adding more affiliates for wrestling. 

In terms of quality of competition this makes some sense. Big-12 is really good. They want to win some conference matches (not duals) in year 1 of possible. PAC-12 makes that a bit more likely. 

Socon would’ve been even better though 

First off, WOOOHOOO to another D1 wrestling program. But the PAC12???? Won't travel costs be a murderer for a fledgling program? Seems it would be much more logical if UALR joined the Big 12 or the Southern Conference.

Here's hoping UALR takes off and is successful. Wouldn't it be hilarious if a team from Arkansas won the Pac12 in wrestling?

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Cal Baptist is going to be a tough add since they don't compete on Sundays. Pretty sure their request to join the Pac-12 was turned down (At least for now).

LOL...they don't compete on Sundays. That's pretty funny. Guess somebody should tell those theologians that the Sabbath is actually "Saturday" :D

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Cal Baptist is going to be a tough add since they don't compete on Sundays. Pretty sure their request to join the Pac-12 was turned down (At least for now).

They wrestled Penn on Sunday and the RoadRunner Open on Sunday this past season. Their baseball team had multiple games on Sundays.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

First off, WOOOHOOO to another D1 wrestling program. But the PAC12???? Won't travel costs be a murderer for a fledgling program? Seems it would be much more logical if UALR joined the Big 12 or the Southern Conference.

Here's hoping UALR takes off and is successful. Wouldn't it be hilarious if a team from Arkansas won the Pac12 in wrestling?

I don't believe they have to wrestle a full pac-12 schedule to begin with - much like the new adds to the B12 did not have to. 

They wrestled Penn on Sunday and the RoadRunner Open on Sunday this past season. Their baseball team had multiple games on Sundays.

Good to know. This must have been a change in recent years. When I worked for the NWCA, they actually pulled out of the second day of the National Duals (when they were NAIA) because the competition was on Sunday. True story.

Travel costs in the US aren't as much of a hindrance as you might think. Proper planning and pre-purchases of tickets and hotels keep the costs down. I travel all the time and the differences between CA, NY, and IA are minimal. Now I get you multiply that by the number of travelers but again the overall costs for a couple extra weekends of travel will be negligible. 

1 hour ago, SetonHallPirate said:

The Big 12 teams do now. 2018-19 was the first year with a full formal Big 12 schedule.

Yep - How many years do they have to merge into a full schedule or is there some sort of timetable? 

Wait, is Cal Baptist headed for the Pac-12? I'm not sure about affiliate universities but the Pac is pretty headstrong about having secular, research-oriented schools as members - the latter (and AAU membership) being a looser requirement. That's why rumors of BYU joining the Pac are always squashed whenever conference expansion rumors pop-up. Even if the commissioner wanted it, there's no way he could whip the vote of the member school chancellors and presidents. Again, maybe affiliate membership is a different story, I have no idea.

I also think for wrestling specifically, the Pac doesn't actually require its member schools to schedule competition against one another - they just have to wrestle a full schedule of x# of duals, and then show up for the conference tournament in March. It's in their best interest for Pac schools to compete against other Pac schools, but I don't think there are even minimums. So the travel thing may not be a huge barrier for UALR even though it's still geographically awkward.

34 minutes ago, pamela said:

Wait, is Cal Baptist headed for the Pac-12? I'm not sure about affiliate universities but the Pac is pretty headstrong about having secular, research-oriented schools as members - the latter (and AAU membership) being a looser requirement. That's why rumors of BYU joining the Pac are always squashed whenever conference expansion rumors pop-up. Even if the commissioner wanted it, there's no way he could whip the vote of the member school chancellors and presidents. Again, maybe affiliate membership is a different story, I have no idea.

I also think for wrestling specifically, the Pac doesn't actually require its member schools to schedule competition against one another - they just have to wrestle a full schedule of x# of duals, and then show up for the conference tournament in March. It's in their best interest for Pac schools to compete against other Pac schools, but I don't think there are even minimums. So the travel thing may not be a huge barrier for UALR even though it's still geographically awkward.

my statement earlier was that they are a logical choice to join the Pac 12 - geographically not that they were joining.  They can't actually compete in the NCAA tournament until the 2022-23 season. They competed in the collegiate open and I assume they will continue to.  They are in transition. When the time comes, I believe they will be considered for the PAC 12 conference. The PAC 12 is looking at adding more affiliates to the conference. As affiliates they are not held to the same standards academically - BSU is a good example of that. 

41 minutes ago, pamela said:

Plus I think BYU is enjoying it's "independence". They've had multiple opportunities to join good conferences. I know the Big 12 pursued BYU for awhile. I think BYU enjoys being able to handpick all their opponents in football (and BYU is very solid in football, usually). They were considered lightweights when they were in the WAC, and I think the MWC after that. Nobody was taking them seriously because they only played one or two legit opponents a year. Now as an independent BYU plays  a tougher schedule and gets more respect. Plus they have their own TV deal they don't have to share with anybody.

On 6/3/2019 at 5:22 PM, gimpeltf said:

The EIWA (most of the teams) offered to let Cornell join the new MAC/EWL merger since Cornell is geographically closer and then both leagues would be at 16. (Not really but several coaches had fun at Rob's expense!).

;)

yep. I suggested it also. Unfortunately, Bucknell is about 30 minutes of Longitude farther west than Cornell