Sign in to follow this  
ccrider55

UALR in the PAC-12

On 6/5/2019 at 10:33 AM, TobusRex said:

Plus I think BYU is enjoying it's "independence". They've had multiple opportunities to join good conferences. I know the Big 12 pursued BYU for awhile. I think BYU enjoys being able to handpick all their opponents in football (and BYU is very solid in football, usually). They were considered lightweights when they were in the WAC, and I think the MWC after that. Nobody was taking them seriously because they only played one or two legit opponents a year. Now as an independent BYU plays  a tougher schedule and gets more respect. Plus they have their own TV deal they don't have to share with anybody.

Not sure where you are getting your ideas here about BYU but as someone who lives in the West and as someone whose family is about 50 percent LDS ............you could not be MORE wrong about BYU "enjoying it's independence" - or your false statement that they have "had multiple opportunities to join good conferences".  The latter is 100 percent untrue.  NOBODY has invited BYU to join their conference.   They were close to being invited to the recently created A.A.C. but the BYU representatives - during the interview process - thoroughly embarrassed themselves and BYU with their demands.   It was similar to a beggar being offered a meal and the beggar then insisting on caviar and champagne.   The PAC 12 absolutely does not want B.Y.U. - if they had they would have invited B.Y.U. when Utah joined the PAC 12 - instead they added Colorado with Utah.   The Big 12 also does not want B.Y.U. - nor does any other Power 5 Conference.  

The BYU fans I've encountered have absolutely had it with their "independence" - particularly when it comes to football.    As anyone with even so much as a glimmer of a clue will tell you in football - if you have a winning season - your team WANTS to go to a bowl game.    BYU's bowl game options (as an Independent) are extremely limited to say the least.

14 hours ago, Bronco said:

Not sure where you are getting your ideas here about BYU but as someone who lives in the West and as someone whose family is about 50 percent LDS ............you could not be MORE wrong about BYU "enjoying it's independence" - or your false statement that they have "had multiple opportunities to join good conferences".  The latter is 100 percent untrue.  NOBODY has invited BYU to join their conference.   They were close to being invited to the recently created A.A.C. but the BYU representatives - during the interview process - thoroughly embarrassed themselves and BYU with their demands.   It was similar to a beggar being offered a meal and the beggar then insisting on caviar and champagne.   The PAC 12 absolutely does not want B.Y.U. - if they had they would have invited B.Y.U. when Utah joined the PAC 12 - instead they added Colorado with Utah.   The Big 12 also does not want B.Y.U. - nor does any other Power 5 Conference.  

The BYU fans I've encountered have absolutely had it with their "independence" - particularly when it comes to football.    As anyone with even so much as a glimmer of a clue will tell you in football - if you have a winning season - your team WANTS to go to a bowl game.    BYU's bowl game options (as an Independent) are extremely limited to say the least.

Pac 12 would never take them because of basketball games on Sundays.  That was the big sticking point so the Pac 12 said no thanks.