OBXWrestler

DT out for this year’s worlds

1 hour ago, Nicky_Pipes said:

Taylor went under the knife and had surgery from what i understand... even with an extension he wasn't going to be ready.. best of luck to PD3... we are all supporters of USA wrestling, he's our guy now. 

Okay

Edited by gowrestle

9 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

I’m a DT fan but disappointed about the “gift” comment.  PD earned his way to this spot and overcame challenges along the way. No one gave him any respect and certainly didn’t gift him a spot. Yes DT would have likely won but he didn’t and to put PD down when he did nothing wrong against DT was classless. 

I mean Downey did accuse him of blood doping.

56 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I don't see it as a gift.  If Taylor could beat him, he would try.  He knows he cant do it, so PD3 earned his opportunity.

Uh...i could also beat DT right now. Really weird argument to make

Edited by Housebuye

You guys are really overreacting. He is saying that Downey should take advantage of the opportunity. Reading into this as an insult is silly. You have to be looking for a reason to be offended to be offended. Give me a break 

DT is at least a 10:1 favorite over Downey. Maybe 20:1 in a best of 3. 

This is a gift for Downey and DT along with any reasonable USA fan wants Downey to take advantage. 

5 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Uh...i could also beat DT right now. Really weird argument to make

You and I did nothing to earn this spot, so if either of us got it then a gift would be an appropriate description.   

11 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Unfortunate to hear that David Taylor is not as committed to representing the United States of America as Kyle Snyder or Jordan Burroughs.

Major surgery to a knee has nothing to do with commitment. You listen to the Doctors and do what is best to get things working to wrestle again. My guess is Taylor kept hoping he would be OK to wrestle and the Doc's told him "risk of permanent damage" if you do too soon. We have all seen guys come back too soon and the results to a long career can be premature retirement from competition.

That anyone believes Taylor would not be there if he could says a lot about them.

9 hours ago, pamela said:

If Downey medals at Worlda and gets some kind of special bye at whatever the Olympic team process is next year, I’ll... umm... well, I don’t know if I’d laugh or cry. Let me get back to you on that.

That there's funny.  I don't care who ya are.

7 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

If Downey wins a medal....He gets a bye to the finals vs the winner of DT/Cox.  THAT would be crazy.  

That would be pretty crazy actually.  I don't think Cox goes down though.  It was a hard cut fir him 3 years ago and he is bigger now.  I think he goes up and challenges Snyder.  I also think that goes three matches.  I would give the edge to Snyder, but wouldn't be shocked if J'Den pulled it off. 

13 hours ago, spladle08 said:

I started to type... despite how he comes across, you cant deny the his recent "form" hes wrestling very well. Hes no DT (right now) but he has the tools, and give him some time with Dake/Ringer/J'den/Bo.... it'd be hard to get the best Downey possible.
Definitely has the size for the weight. Isnt going to be intimidated, just going to have to see how he looks on the biggest of stages, and hope he gets a favorable

Word has it that Snyder can't win a live-go as-Is with Cox preparing to go 92kg.

58 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Word has it that Snyder can't win a live-go as-Is with Cox preparing to go 92kg.

That is what I have heard also. Snyder use to win all their goes from 2016 2017 simulation matches. Now Cox wins by a takedown or two 4 out of 5 times! But in a real match that is a wash. Just look at Yanni and JO. JO won all of his then boom he gets teched! So I would consider them even. 

16 hours ago, MadMardigain said:

Downey will either walk away from Worlds with a highlight reel of throws that will wow the wrestling community or will have an epic meltdown that would embarrass even the Mongolian coaches.  

Don't worry, his dad will do that automatically.

20 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

You really have to hurt yourself stretching to pretend that Taylor wasn't being a dick here. Of course he was! And Downey earned every bit of that dickishness from Taylor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree that the Taylor comment was classless and that Downey, although he's done some great things recently, has regularly crossed the line for many years. 

My concern about Taylor, though, is that it's not clear to me that he wouldn't have said the same thing to someone less outrageous than Downey. He's now at least twice taken swipes at people on our world team who got the spot instead of him -- even doing so while Cox was competing overseas wearing a U.S. singlet.

Not exactly Dave Schultz carrying the guy who took his spot, Kenny Monday, around the mat on his shoulders after Monday won the Olympic final -- which is the way it's supposed to work.

5 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Major surgery to a knee has nothing to do with commitment. You listen to the Doctors and do what is best to get things working to wrestle again. My guess is Taylor kept hoping he would be OK to wrestle and the Doc's told him "risk of permanent damage" if you do too soon. We have all seen guys come back too soon and the results to a long career can be premature retirement from competition.

That anyone believes Taylor would not be there if he could says a lot about them.

According to Penn State's SID the reason Taylor did not miss match in college was because of his commitment level. He clearly must have been more committed to wrestling for PSU than the USA. Sad, really.

According to Penn State's SID the reason Taylor did not miss match in college was because of his commitment level. He clearly must have been more committed to wrestling for PSU than the USA. Sad, really.
Couldn't agree more. His lack of patriotism and strong attraction to being the "Cool college guy" has always been a sore spot for me.
It's like, do you even know the pledge

Downey deserves all the crap thrown at him by anyone and everyone.  He is an utter idiot and probably won't wrestle more than one match at Worlds.  Yazdani will eviscerate him in less than a minute if they get matched up.

And here is a reminder what Taylor did to him previously.  I guess Downey will have to wait until next year to take tech-ed again by DT.

This is definitely not the news I wanted to hear.  I have always been a huge DT fan and I have brought him into my house and had him do camps for my HS Team for the last 5 or 6 summers. He has been awesome to have as a clinician and my team and especially my son absolutely love him.  DT is a very competitive person and I'm sure there was some thought put into the words when he said that the spot is a gift for Downey.  The thing I hate most about this is that Downey will be representing the USA.  I know everyone deserves second chances, but Downey time and again has chosen to do things that are not acceptable.  Then add his dad to the mix and it becomes a circus act.  I hope he has a good tournament and represents the USA with class.  I would rather see a well behaved Pat Downey not medal, then the Pat Downey that I have seen way too many times acting like a fool and win.  

3 hours ago, Meatey said:

This is definitely not the news I wanted to hear.  I have always been a huge DT fan and I have brought him into my house and had him do camps for my HS Team for the last 5 or 6 summers. He has been awesome to have as a clinician and my team and especially my son absolutely love him.  DT is a very competitive person and I'm sure there was some thought put into the words when he said that the spot is a gift for Downey.  The thing I hate most about this is that Downey will be representing the USA.  I know everyone deserves second chances, but Downey time and again has chosen to do things that are not acceptable.  Then add his dad to the mix and it becomes a circus act.  I hope he has a good tournament and represents the USA with class.  I would rather see a well behaved Pat Downey not medal, then the Pat Downey that I have seen way too many times acting like a fool and win.  

This is very unpatriotic. 

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

This is very unpatriotic. 

How? He is saying he takes pride in his country and wants its it represented with class. He literally says, “I hope he has a good tournament and represents the USA with class.”  What is unpatriotic about that?

How? He is saying he takes pride in his country and wants its it represented with class. He literally says, “I hope he has a good tournament and represents the USA with class.”  What is unpatriotic about that?

:)

3 hours ago, Meatey said:

I think that this was a thoughtful and well-written post and I understand where you were coming from, but I don't think I agree with it.  

Downey is who he is, which is a guy who frequently behaves very badly by the standards of the society and the subgroups that he is in.  That does bring with it the risk of him looking like an "ugly American" at the tournament.  But I would rather see him be himself and wrestle his best than be inhibited and wrestle below his potential.  

We have seen a lot of dreadful sportsmanship from foreigners over the years, including blatant anti-U.S. cheating.  Two wrongs don't make a right, and I'd rather that Downey's behavior matched the level of his intelligence, which I think is quite high. 

But I want the U.S. representative to wrestle the way that got him there and to do as well as possible.  And he's the U.S. representative and he is who he is.  If that means he acts badly, as I'm sure several wrestlers from all over the world will, while terrific guys like Yianni/Zain, Green/Deakin, Burroughs/IMar, etc., carry the flag nicely, then that's not ideal, and those who find it unacceptable can root for Taylor or someone else to win the spot for the Olympics.  I'll be hoping in the meantime that our 2019 86 kg guy does great at Worlds.