OBXWrestler

DT out for this year’s worlds

I’m a DT fan but disappointed about the “gift” comment.  PD earned his way to this spot and overcame challenges along the way. No one gave him any respect and certainly didn’t gift him a spot. Yes DT would have likely won but he didn’t and to put PD down when he did nothing wrong against DT was classless. 
I mean, it was a cheap shot, but Pat also accused him of using PEDs like 3 days ago, so.... it's fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Scorenomore said:

I’m a DT fan but disappointed about the “gift” comment.  PD earned his way to this spot and overcame challenges along the way. No one gave him any respect and certainly didn’t gift him a spot. Yes DT would have likely won but he didn’t and to put PD down when he did nothing wrong against DT was classless. 

I don't think we should get too worked up about that. Let's be honest.

If you have to beat DT for something, and instead suddenly don't have to even wrestle him at all and you get it anyway... that is surely a "gift" for anyone on the planet.

My gosh I don’t know how people got so damn sensitive. It’s not a cheap shot or classless. It’s truth. NOT having to beat the defending OW of the world championships TWICE  to make the team is kinda like a gift. Many people are given gifts and make the best of it. Since when is truth classless?  That’s how soft we have become. That the wrestling community is this soft. Good lord. 

Edited by Lurker

I don't think Alex can get big enough by September if he happened to lose to Dake.  Just thinking out loud if they keep the position open and let 3 or 4 guys train together and even have some kind of wrestle off.  Something tells me that will be in their bylaws as to how the position is determined.  Besides, if PDIII gets the nod, he may shock a few folks and score a bonus point or two.  Then again, Bo might be able to get down...

I hate this for him.  I hope it does not end at 1 in a row.  There is a lot of talent being squeezed into the Tokyo Olympic Weights.  I would think someone would offer this kid enough money to coach, that he wouldn't be around by 21.  Hard to believe John Smith retired at 26.  

Downey is wrestling well, but is no DT.  With that said I also think he is the most likely guy in the country to to take this opportunity and use every bit of it. I think bronze at best.  Even though he may be a Longshot, we always seem to get one.  

Even if he does not place we still have a great team.  At 61kg, Zain or yanni can medal. Same for Gilman or Fix.  We have the fire power but need to execute at the same time.  We have 8 returning medalist.  6 who have gold or and silver. I feel good about Gilman or Fix.  I fell real good about Yianni, possible gold, and confident in Zain medaling.  Green has to know this is his last go so hopefully he lands another medal.  Dake or Ringer should medal.  Gwiz or Gable can medal.  Downey is really the only big question mark but it would be great to see him medal after all the drama from past years.  Those kind of things change a person's life and also how they impact others.  Despite his occasional antics I do think he will carry himself and represent well. 

Well said.  Usually I know who our world team member at each weight is by this point in the selection process.  There are 4 weights where I honestly don't know who will win.  Fix/Gilman, Yianni/Zain, Kyle/Alex,  and while the last two weights are fairly good bets for the returning medalists, I wouldn't be shocked if one of them doesn't get upset, just because Bo and Gable are that special.  I've never seen anything like this.  I've seen weights like with Dziedzic, Schalles, Kemp, but never this kind of team balance and depth.

2 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

Agree.  Downey beat MyMar and Heflin to win the US Open and earned a bye to the WTT Final.  Then Taylor's injury happened, so anyone at a neighboring weight had the opportunity to shift to 86kg.  No one did and Heflin again made the finals, but  Downey beat him again twice in a row to earn a spot in Final X.  Downey clearly would have been an underdog vs. Taylor, but Downey earned his way to the top 2 at 86.  If one of the top 2 can't wrestle, then the other one will go to World's.  DT's comment made it seem like the guy who got 8th place at the US Open was magically going to World's, but that's not what happened.

1 hour ago, simple said:

I’ll give DT the benefit of the doubt with the timing, but if he knew before WTT he really screwed over team USA.

Downey will be an embarrassment.

Who knows, maybe DT held off until he was absolutely positively 100% sure he wasn’t going to be cleared to compete. Or maybe he waited to help sell those Finalx tickets.

If Downey medals at Worlda and gets some kind of special bye at whatever the Olympic team process is next year, I’ll... umm... well, I don’t know if I’d laugh or cry. Let me get back to you on that.

3 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I don't think we should get too worked up about that. Let's be honest.

If you have to beat DT for something, and instead suddenly don't have to even wrestle him at all and you get it anyway... that is surely a "gift" for anyone on the planet.

It's definitely a shot at the guy who earned the spot.  There's a reason Taylor isn't competing and it's not because he wants to give Downey a gift.  But I think Taylor likes the heel role-remember he also talked trash on twitter to J'Den Cox after his loss at worlds two years ago.  Taylor is not a humble athlete or good sport, but that's a good thing. Conor Mcgregor showed the power of being classless in terms of marketing potential.  We need rivalries and guys willing to be controversial.  If Downey medals at worlds this year, their OTT matchup would be amplified by some back and forth trash talking between them.  

Also, if Downey wins a medal....He gets a bye to the finals vs the winner of DT/Cox.  THAT would be crazy.  

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

It's definitely a shot at the guy who earned the spot.  There's a reason Taylor isn't competing and it's not because he wants to give Downey a gift.  But I think Taylor likes the heel role-remember he also talked trash on twitter to J'Den Cox after his loss at worlds two years ago.  Taylor is not a humble athlete or good sport, but that's a good thing. Conor Mcgregor showed the power of being classless in terms of marketing potential.  We need rivalries and guys willing to be controversial.  If Downey medals at worlds this year, their OTT matchup would be amplified by some back and forth trash talking between them.  

Also, if Downey wins a medal....He gets a bye to the finals vs the winner of DT/Cox.  THAT would be crazy.  

Yes crazy..

7 hours ago, Scorenomore said:

It was a well deserved jab after all of Downey’s twitter nonsense

First, this is very sad news especially considering he got hurt at a charity event. Bad news for USA wrestling as it significantly decreases our chances at a team title and you have to feel bad for Taylor. The biggest thing I don’t get though is that he either didn’t let Nickal know or Nickal still chose to stay up? I mean DT had to get an MRI within 24 hours. And you have to think that Nickal could make 86 if he really wanted to. He’s got a much better chance against PD3 than Cox. The only thing I can think of is that DT didn’t want Nickal there because he was nervous he might get a medal and get a bye to final X over him

Edited by Eagle26

7 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Something seems strange about the announcement from DT.  Any mention of asking for an extension was omitted. 

Taylor went under the knife and had surgery from what i understand... even with an extension he wasn't going to be ready.. best of luck to PD3... we are all supporters of USA wrestling, he's our guy now. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

First, this is very sad news especially considering he got hurt at a charity event. Bad news for USA wrestling as it significantly decreases our chances at a team title and you have to feel bad for Taylor. The biggest thing I don’t get though is that he either didn’t let Nickal know or Nickal still chose to stay up? I mean DT had to get an MRI within 24 hours. And you have to think that Nickal could make 86 if he really wanted to. He’s got a much better chance against PD3 than Cox. The only thing I can think of is that DT didn’t want Nickal there because he was nervous he might get a medal and get a bye to final X over him

BTS is a charity event, but I was under the impression that the wrestlers get paid to compete. That would be tough if he got hurt for a match he wasn't being paid for, but that was not my understanding.  

1 hour ago, LemonPie said:

It was a well deserved jab after all of Downey’s twitter nonsense

Taylor and Downey both know that making controversial statements on twitter/starting arguments is a great way to get publicity.  Both have a history of doing it, as do many other athletes. The whole "humble" athlete thing is long gone. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Lets be honest and not get our PC feelings hurt. Geez guys. This is a gift. I will not hear another opinion:-) But honestly it is the biggest gift since 2001 when Cael gave up an almost sure world title to wrestle a few folkstyle matches. Old Eggum won silver! Who he teched. Only way PD111 beats that one is if he wins Gold! Who knows! No one at all gave Eggum a chance to medal! He nearly won the whole thing. Going to be really interesting. Yes I will be pulling for PD111. Makes for a cool story. 

Edited by PRyan2012

11 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Lets be honest and not get our PC feelings hurt. Geez guys. This is a gift. I will not hear another opinion:-) But honestly it is the biggest gift since 2001 when Cael gave up an almost sure world title to wrestle a few folkstyle matches. Old Eggum won silver! Who he teched. Only way PD111 beats that one is if he wins Gold! Who knows!

If he chose not to compete it would be a gift.  He didn't compete because he didn't have the option to.