OBXWrestler

DT out for this year’s worlds

6 minutes ago, LJB said:

well, he knew very early he would not be able to wrestle and waited to make the announcement until after WTT... 

no logical reason to do that other than to try and protect your 2020 spot as best you can... not having a world medalist at the weight goes a long way towards that end...

He might have had a diagnosis of the injury but knew "he would not be able to wrestle?"   I doubt it.  Does anyone even know what the injury is?  A torn ACL?  Didn't Yanni win NCAAs with a torn ACL last year?  Maybe he was considering putting off the surgery until after Final X and then getting it done and hopefully being recovered in time to go at worlds.  Maybe he was considering delaying the wrestle off until August.  Maybe he was told by the first guy he couldn't wrestle in October, but was seeking out a second opinion.  You think he had determined 100% in 11 days he wasn't going to wrestle?  I wouldn't let myself be rushed to that decision just to give some guys a chance to bump up.  

18 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

That's a ridiculous take.  He got injured on 5/6 the trials started 5/17.  How soon would you be able to give up on your plan to win worlds this year?  48 hours?  On 5/8 who would be going down in 9 days time?  I reckon no one at 92kg.  Who would be going up?  That's more realistic.  I guess Dierigner or Valencia could, but it seems unlikely both would.  Dieringer had the finals bye.  Dake himself is returning from injury.  Valencia I guess could change his mind especially if he sees himself at 86kg next year.  

Ringer absolutely could’ve gone up and would’ve won it with ease (in my opinion). He either needs to go up or down next year and he’s looked so good at 79 I can’t see him dropping 11 lbs with same day weigh ins next year. He could’ve made the team and then had months to get even bigger ahead of the worlds. He absolutely would’ve been a medal threat at 86 in that scenario and who could blame Taylor for not wanting Ringer waiting for him in the finals next year. Save me the self righteous patriotic talk. DT has been dreaming about winning an Olympic gold his entire life and the reality of his age says 2020 is extremely likely to be his last chance.

4 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Ringer absolutely could’ve gone up and would’ve won it with ease (in my opinion). He either needs to go up or down next year and he’s looked so good at 79 I can’t see him dropping 11 lbs with same day weigh ins next year. 

He confirmed in his post-match interview after beating Zahid that he plans to get "really big" after worlds and go 86 kg next year. 

10 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

He might have had a diagnosis of the injury but knew "he would not be able to wrestle?"   I doubt it.  Does anyone even know what the injury is?  A torn ACL?  Didn't Yanni win NCAAs with a torn ACL last year?  Maybe he was considering putting off the surgery until after Final X and then getting it done and hopefully being recovered in time to go at worlds.  Maybe he was considering delaying the wrestle off until August.  Maybe he was told by the first guy he couldn't wrestle in October, but was seeking out a second opinion.  You think he had determined 100% in 11 days he wasn't going to wrestle?  I wouldn't let myself be rushed to that decision just to give some guys a chance to bump up.  

he announced on the 24th that he was already post op... less than a week after WTTs...

you can make your own timeline to fit whatever you think...

1 hour ago, Glane18 said:

Does anybody know why David Taylor waited until after the WTTs to announce he won't be able to wrestle in Final X?  Did something change within that short window?   

59 minutes ago, LJB said:

purely selfish reasons...

in the other thread where people are whining about our rep at 86, there area couple of posters parroting what was said this morning on FRL... which, to be fair, is the only logical explanation...

56 minutes ago, LJB said:

that is the assumption that has been bandied about...

There is no other logical reason. There's no way that a week or two after trials is when he finally figured out that he was not going to be able to wrestle. I don't believe it. 

11 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

Weigel big? Derek White big? Lesnar big?

It’s almost hard to imagine him up 24 lbs from where he won his last NCAA title. 

Ringer having to decide whether to go up 15 lbs or down 11 lbs just shows how ridiculous it is for weight classes to jump from 74 to 86kg. More than a 26 pound gap!

17 hours ago, MDogg said:

Ringer absolutely could’ve gone up and would’ve won it with ease (in my opinion). He either needs to go up or down next year and he’s looked so good at 79 I can’t see him dropping 11 lbs with same day weigh ins next year. He could’ve made the team and then had months to get even bigger ahead of the worlds. He absolutely would’ve been a medal threat at 86 in that scenario and who could blame Taylor for not wanting Ringer waiting for him in the finals next year. Save me the self righteous patriotic talk. DT has been dreaming about winning an Olympic gold his entire life and the reality of his age says 2020 is extremely likely to be his last chance.

I don't think DT is a self righteous patriot.  I think he was doing what was best for him in terms of both competing this year and the Olympics.  I don't think Bogarting the final X spot to try and sabotage USA from placing at 86kg at worlds this year was part of his thinking.  Ringer could go up or he could go down next year.  I'm not sure which but if it was his intention to go up and views a bye to the Olympic trials best of three final as so much better than a bye to the semi final then why wasn't he up at 86kg from the outset?  Why wouldn't he change when David Taylor was injured?  

If I were David Taylor and viewed Dieringer as my chief rival for the Olympic spot I would prefer that he not be waiting for me in a semifinal vs the finals.  The semifinal you have the wrestle the same day as the rest of the tournament and it isn't best of three.   Dieringer will get a bye to the 86kg semi final if he beats Dake at final X and then medals at worlds at 79kg. 

I think the wrestler with less to lose moving up from 79 to 86kg on less than a weeks notice is Valencia. He did not have the bye to the final at 79kg like Dierigner and he is almost certain to go up to 86kg next year as his brother will be trying to make the Olympic team at 74kg.  I think he was also less likely to beat Dake. 

Flo had been reporting that someone inquired if David Taylor was out for Worlds because this person was interested in moving weights if that was the case and they were told to stay put.  Not sure if that's true or not or who it was, but if either of them are either so looking for the easiest path and by that want to avoid wrestling David Taylor at all costs even an injured <100% David Taylor then they probably are not making the Olympic team.  And if USA Wrestling thinks the bye to the final is such an advantage that it actually played a role in when David Taylor would decide to announce that he had surgery they should change it and move the final 3-4 weeks out like in the final X format.

9 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

That sucks. Was hoping DT would win a few more titles in a row. Hopefully he comes back the year after better than ever.

His robust collection of Spanish Grand Prix titles are not enough?

42 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

I don't think DT is a self righteous patriot. 

Neither do I...I was referring to those who criticize him for not putting USA’s team standings in 2019 ahead of his lifelong goal of winning Olympic gold.

On 5/27/2019 at 8:32 PM, Dr. Novak said:

He works out with Princeton's team as part of the New Jersey RTC and also takes a few classes at Princeton.  Economics, philosophy & politics major.

Actually, I heard that he'll be pursuing a joint MBA/JD degree at Princeton. Should serve him well when negotiating future multi-million dollar UFC contracts.

11 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

Actually, I heard that he'll be pursuing a joint MBA/JD degree at Princeton. Should serve him well when negotiating future multi-million dollar UFC contracts.

Princeton has neither a business school nor a law school. Perhaps PD3 has founded two new grad schools at Princeton in his free time though. That’s definitely possible.