NJDan

Why is Downey being Given (or Gifted) the spot?

5 hours ago, Griff the BullRam said:

By this token, Myles Martin did not win Big Tens as he did not wrestle in the Big Ten finals, since Rasheed defaulted. Does that mean the third place finished should've been given the opportunity to wrestle in the finals?

If the Big Ten Tournament's main purpose was to decide a big 10 champ then it makes no sense to let the 3rd place guy wrestle.  But if the point of the tournament was to determine a single representative who is most deserving to move on, then letting 3rd place compete makes sense.  This is why true 2nd and 4th are contested when advancement is on the line.  

It wasn't a vote. It was based on a point based system for the rankings series events and worlds. Taylor had the most points, but he wasn't voted best wrestler in the Universe. That award goes to Tom Intergalactic Brands.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This thread : Man. This is bull, Downey was gifted his spot, this can not stand.

Also this thread: We should install Dieringer or Nickal, with zero wins at this weight or entering the qualifying tournaments at this weight, directly into the Best of 3 Finals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t recall NJdan or others continue to talk about someone else wrestling off Colon when Nashon went down last year. This all has nothing to do with anything but a particular dislike for this guy. Not at all to do with right/wrong or “shouldn’t we do everything to try to field the best team”.

The right thing is being done. There were two men standing at 86kg. One of those two went down unfortunately. As much as I don’t like him either, PD is the last man standing, and he is rightfully going to KAZ. End of story.  

12 hours ago, VakAttack said:

This thread : Man. This is bull, Downey was gifted his spot, this can not stand.

Also this thread: We should install Dieringer or Nickal, with zero wins at this weight or entering the qualifying tournaments at this weight, directly into the Best of 3 Finals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don’t forget, installing Nickal and Dieringer at a new weight before they’ve even lost the weight they are currently wresting off for. Lol

20 minutes ago, tec87 said:

Don’t forget, installing Nickal and Dieringer at a new weight before they’ve even lost the weight they are currently wresting off for. Lol

I would not install them before they lost-- it would be after they lost. If they won, I'd let Dake and Cox wrestle Downey.

I don't like the guy and that goes double for his daddy. Daddy is the wrestling equivalent of "big bawler"... crys and whines about most everything.

PDIII is the winner of the qualifying tournament and Taylor won't make the match against him.

Not Downey's fault.

He's our guy, like it or not. I hope he surprises us and wins Gold.

Here's hoping he does not act like a jackass and become this years "ugly American" on the mat. A bad look and at worst a disqualification if he shows that side to the refs.

17 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

The Downey in this match with Taylor wasn't even training in a room and had been off the mat for three months. To compare the present day Downey to this version from TWO YEARS AGO is absurd. Did you see how many points Heflin scored on Taylor vs Downey?  The present-day Downey would have given Taylor all he could handle.  BTW, here is what Kevin Jackson has to say about Downey's chances at worlds.

https://twitter.com/CoachKJ__/status/1132675092041719808

Plus, Downey didn't have the braided hair back then.  That adds a new wrinkle that DT hasn't seen yet.  

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I would not install them before they lost-- it would be after they lost. If they won, I'd let Dake and Cox wrestle Downey.

What about Steveson or Gilman? 

33 minutes ago, ionel said:

What about Steveson or Gilman? 

Don't be a ponce. You know his meaning.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

This makes more sense. Last year golds losing the spot with a shot at redemption(if Cox can make it).

Hell let Cox and Dake wrestle off for the chance to wrestle Downey if they both lose.

I realize it’s not “fair” but I think with extenuating circumstances the national team coach or a small panel of people should just get to straight up choose who’s on the team or at least choose 2-3 guys to wrestle off for it.

I realize it’s not “fair” but I think with extenuating circumstances the national team coach or a small panel of people should just get to straight up choose who’s on the team or at least choose 2-3 guys to wrestle off for it.

Joe Colon probably disagrees.

20 hours ago, boconnell said:

If the Big Ten Tournament's main purpose was to decide a big 10 champ then it makes no sense to let the 3rd place guy wrestle.  But if the point of the tournament was to determine a single representative who is most deserving to move on, then letting 3rd place compete makes sense.  This is why true 2nd and 4th are contested when advancement is on the line.  

he beat everyone at the weight. 

even in a best of 3 series.

no one at the weight deserves it.

moving a weight afterward? hhmmm not a big fan.

do you guys really want to go back to the old ways?

none of you read the BS that went on in the old days, laid out for you in that book 'wrestlers at the trials'? 

if that still went on this board would never shut down.

43 minutes ago, simple said:

this is exactly the BS from the book i was referring to.

whoever the current coach is picking his favorite.

and im not sure about extenuating circumstances... taylor can't wrestle. downey beat everyone else at the weight at the time they needed to make weight. not a guy given an extra month to cut down.

Edited by GockeS

I don't think Cox could make 86 even in a month and compete as high as he should.

Dake is the only one who would deserve a go.

FTR any of the top 4 79 beat Downey right now. Hall, Ringer, Zahid, Dake... the lot. We'll see at least two of them prove their worth next year in Zahid and Ringer. I believe Hall goes down as well as Dake.

Then at least a few folk will be like "Man. Not letting <insert Dake/Ringer loser> go Curbstomp-Fu on Downey after he lost his Bo3 to <insert Dake/Ringer winner> cost us a team world title. Damn I am stupid to not have been okay with it."

So keep being a bunch of fairy-folk and citing the most corrupt selection process we ever had. This isn't about corruption or favoritism. It is about winning a team world title. We won't do that with Downey as our rep going 1 and done. Or worse getting DQd for doing Downey things(this won't happen I don't think).

Obviously this is all hypothetical politix, but the legitimacy of those involved have more merit and hardware, or at the very least much more international success/experience recently.

1 hour ago, simple said:

Why don't we just let Gable pick the guy, sure USA Wrestling censored him but that's surely been lifted by know.  ;_;

At 86kg, interesting that Russia sent Valiev (who won gold) to Euro championships and now Russia is sending Kurugliev to the Euro games next month.

Also for Iran,  Ghasempour looked great winning the 86kg gold at Asians but pretty sure we'll see Yazdani at Worlds. Faith Erdin (TUR) got decked at Euro's but came back to win bronze. Erdin might be the #1 seed at Worlds. Just some of the top guys Downey might face.

Here's the Russian team for Euro Games:

http://wrestdag.ru/news/ru/news/sbornaja_rossii_gotovitsja_k_evroigram/ 

3 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

At 86kg, interesting that Russia sent Valiev (who won gold) to Euro championships and now Russia is sending Kurugliev to the Euro games next month.

Also for Iran,  Ghasempour looked great winning the 86kg gold at Asians but pretty sure we'll see Yazdani at Worlds. Faith Erdin (TUR) got decked at Euro's but came back to win bronze. Erdin might be the #1 seed at Worlds. Just some of the top guys Downey might face.

Here's the Russian team for Euro Games:

http://wrestdag.ru/news/ru/news/sbornaja_rossii_gotovitsja_k_evroigram/ 

Erdin was also the 1 last year but arguably the 4th best(at best). They need a better points system.

3 hours ago, GockeS said:

he beat everyone at the weight. 

even in a best of 3 series.

no one at the weight deserves it.

moving a weight afterward? hhmmm not a big fan.

do you guys really want to go back to the old ways?

none of you read the BS that went on in the old days, laid out for you in that book 'wrestlers at the trials'? 

if that still went on this board would never shut down.

I said nothing about him not deserving it or about other guys getting a shot.  

I'm fine with Downey as the Rep.  He was fortunate in the timing of Taylor's injury but he beat all of the currently healthy 86 KG entrants.  

My comment was about a bad analogy regarding the Big 10 tournament.  It may have picking at needless semantics, but I felt like picking.