Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

Wisconsin 2019-2020: Big Ten contenders?

Recommended Posts

How do you see Wisconsin doing in the B10 this year and at NCAAs?  I see at least 4 AAs in Gross, Moran, E. Wick and Hilger.  I see 2 possible finalists in Gross and Wick and I think they will win 1 championship between them.

 

125 - Barnett

133 - Gross, finalist, possible champ

141 - Moran, AA

149 - Martin, NQ

157 - Zander Wick, NQ?

165 - Evan Wick, AA, possible finalist

174 - Dow, NQ?

184 - Johnny Sebastian, NQ, possible AA

97 - Breske, NQ?

HWT - Hilger, possible AA

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not Sebastian at 174 and Breske/Reinhardt at 184?

I'm not convinced that Dow in the lineup at 174 is better than Reinhardt at 184 or 197.

Dow didn't exactly blow the world away in his redshirt year, which was primarily at 165 as it were.

I think this is a sneaky good team, similar to Michigan's of the recent years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Why not Sebastian at 174 and Breske/Reinhardt at 184?

I'm not convinced that Dow in the lineup at 174 is better than Reinhardt at 184 or 197.

Dow didn't exactly blow the world away in his redshirt year, which was primarily at 165 as it were.

I think this is a sneaky good team, similar to Michigan's of the recent years.

Reinhardt is done wrestling, he graduated with a year of eligibility left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid dual team, but I don't see them being too much of a factor in the B1G tourney, let alone NCAA's.  Gross and Wick are strong Finalist contenders, but after that, they are hard pressed to get another AA.  I am a big fan of Hillger, but 285 is likely to be more difficult next season.  The B1G alone will be brutal at 285.  Moran is really their only other strong AA candidate and 141 is also going to be a minefield in the B1G before NCAA's is even a consideration.

My guess at B1G results:

125:  DNP

133:  The B1G is a MINEFIELD here.  Gross definitely did't go somewhere so he can coast.  With the back, I have to say 3rd until I see him 10-15 matches into the season.

141:  Lee, McKee, Red, Murin and Carr before Moran.  6th.

149:  7th/8th

157:  DNP

165:  3rd

174:  8th

184:  7th

197:  8th

285:  5th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, teach said:

Can Breske go 184?   He looked pretty small last year.

That was kinda the plan when he transferred.  He was gonna fill in at 197 this spring and then get to compete for the 184 spot next fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Solid dual team, but I don't see them being too much of a factor in the B1G tourney, let alone NCAA's.  Gross and Wick are strong Finalist contenders, but after that, they are hard pressed to get another AA.  I am a big fan of Hillger, but 285 is likely to be more difficult next season.  The B1G alone will be brutal at 285.  Moran is really their only other strong AA candidate and 141 is also going to be a minefield in the B1G before NCAA's is even a consideration.

My guess at B1G results:

125:  DNP

133:  The B1G is a MINEFIELD here.  Gross definitely did't go somewhere so he can coast.  With the back, I have to say 3rd until I see him 10-15 matches into the season.

141:  Lee, McKee, Red, Murin and Carr before Moran.  6th.

149:  7th/8th

157:  DNP

165:  3rd

174:  8th

184:  7th

197:  8th

285:  5th

I think you are underestimating Hillger but other than that I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Wisconsin has the same % chance to win NCAAs next year that I have of nailing Katy Perry for a 2nd time: 0%.

But how about the first?

Give us the dets.

Asking for a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gross is an unknown, especially in such a stacked weight. I honestly hope he goes up. Could be that his length isn’t as effective, but I think he can what anyone outside of Yianni.

at 133, Fix and Suriano both best him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barnett (true frosh) recently beat returning NCAA AA Foley (MSU) at the 2019 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament, so if Bucky pulls his redshirt... Also, Connor Brown (last season's 125 pounder for most of the season before unexpectedly leaving the team [and school?]) was a possible low AA candidate (he was consistently ranked during the season) and still has eligibility left. He was a transfer from SDSU and came with Bono. I have heard that he HEW - so I don't know if the Gross situation (who were training partners at SD) would have any bearing on anything

While Breske could likely go at 184 (and may indeed end up there just for his own sake), the Badgers are dreadfully thin in the upper weights, so they may need to ask Breske to man 197.

So, while things are looking up in Badger land, it is still a "fragile" lineup at the moment - might still be a year away from having enough depth to endure a Big Ten season and a run at an NCAA trophy.

Edited by npope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think 5 AAs is the ceiling

Gross - 23 points

Moran - 10 points

martin - 10 points

Wick - 15 points

Hillger - 12 points

rest of team - 7 points

77 total. Would’ve been good enough for 6th in 2019 (from memory - could be a place or two off)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Gross is an unknown, especially in such a stacked weight. I honestly hope he goes up. Could be that his length isn’t as effective, but I think he can what anyone outside of Yianni.

at 133, Fix and Suriano both best him. 

How does he go up? 125 and 133 were going to be their biggest holes this year. Going up moves either Moran or Martin out of the lineup.

If Gross intends to make a proper go at an Oly spot, then a bump or drop is in order. A bump would make more sense if that were the case.

Edited by nhs67
I have fat fingers and need to spellcheck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, npope said:

Barnett (true frosh) recently beat returning NCAA AA Foley (MSU) at the 2019 World Team Trials Challenge Tournament, so if Bucky pulls his redshirt... Also, Connor Brown (last season's 125 pounder for most of the season before unexpectedly leaving the team [and school?]) was a possible low AA candidate (he was consistently ranked during the season) and still has eligibility left. He was a transfer from SDSU and came with Bono. I have heard that he HEW - so I don't know if the Gross situation (who were training partners at SD) would have any bearing on anything

While Breske could likely go at 184 (and may indeed end up there just for his own sake), the Badgers are dreadfully thin in the upper weights, so they may need to ask Breske to man 197.

So, while things are looking up in Badger land, it is still a "fragile" lineup at the moment - might still be a year away from having enough depth to endure a Big Ten season and a run at an NCAA trophy.

I think a refreshed Breske may be a high AA contender at 184. With 174 clearing out a bit Sebastian could sneak into low AA as well.

Also I don't understand why Foley wrestled and hope he didn't hamper his recovery. He was very hurt at the end of the season and maybe even shouldn't have wrestled at NCAAs. He needed time off. I am really hoping he doesn't burn himself out or worse

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

But how about the first?

Give us the dets.

Asking for a friend.

Pretty awesome. She wouldn't leave voluntarily (women tell me I'm the sexual equivalent of crack), so I had to slap her around a couple days later to get her out the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Pretty awesome. She wouldn't leave voluntarily (women tell me I'm the sexual equivalent of crack), so I had to slap her around a couple days later to get her out the door.

I imagine a more classy version of Chris's Brown-Rihanna when you put it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 champ, 3 AAs 

Gross - Champ. I think he navigates the field. His biggest hurdles will obviously be Suriano, and Fix. I'd say an optimized Tariq Wilson will still also pose a substantial threat to not only Gross, but the field at large. I think Gross just has a matchup advantage against Micic. Fix is the big winner of the Gross transfer, as he is alone in the Big 12 - as far as legit title contenders go. 

Wick - AA, very likely 3rd place finisher. Id be shocked if he fell lower than 5th somehow. Right drawm right weekend he "could" win it. 

Hilger - Mid to low AA. People seem pretty low on Hilger, and idk why. The field will be tougher next year, yes but he is still a returning AA and will have even more experience/refinement come next March. 

Moran - low AA. I think he'll get it done this go-around. 6th-8th. Wouldnt be shocked if he missed the podium though, obviously. 

Edited by iGranby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Solid dual team, but I don't see them being too much of a factor in the B1G tourney, let alone NCAA's.  Gross and Wick are strong Finalist contenders, but after that, they are hard pressed to get another AA.  I am a big fan of Hillger, but 285 is likely to be more difficult next season.  The B1G alone will be brutal at 285.  Moran is really their only other strong AA candidate and 141 is also going to be a minefield in the B1G before NCAA's is even a consideration.

My guess at B1G results:

125:  DNP

133:  The B1G is a MINEFIELD here.  Gross definitely did't go somewhere so he can coast.  With the back, I have to say 3rd until I see him 10-15 matches into the season.

141:  Lee, McKee, Red, Murin and Carr before Moran.  6th.

149:  7th/8th

157:  DNP

165:  3rd

174:  8th

184:  7th

197:  8th

285:  5th

I think Storr Mi should be above Moran also - Nationally you have to add Yianni, Demas & Shoop (possibly Brock/Parker) - Some tough new blood coming in next year Wood Stn/ Kinner Oh St - Moran could place above some of those guys but you are right that placing top 4 in B10s or top 8 at NCAAs will be tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, iGranby said:

1 champ, 3 AAs 

Gross - Champ. I think he navigates the field. His biggest hurdles will obviously be Suriano, and Fix. I'd say an optimized Tariq Wilson will still also pose a substantial threat to not only Gross, but the field at large. I think Gross just has a matchup advantage against Micic. Fix is the big winner of the Gross transfer, as he is alone in the Big 12 - as far as legit title contenders go. 

Wick - AA, very likely 3rd place finisher. Id be shocked if he fell lower than 5th somehow. Right drawm right weekend he "could" win it. 

Hilger - Mid to low AA. People seem pretty low on Hilger, and idk why. The field will be tougher next year, yes but he is still a returning AA and will have even more experience/refinement come next March. 

Moran - low AA. I think he'll get it done this go-around. 6th-8th. Wouldnt be shocked if he missed the podium though, obviously. 

Has Gross ever wrestled Fix? I could see Gross giving Fix tons of problems with his length advantage.

I wonder if Hilger is any relation to Rusty Hilger, who played QB for Oklahoma State in the early 80s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best team they’ve had recently but no way they’re a legit threat to Iowa or PSU in tournament scoring next season. 

If I were Gross I’d bump to 141 unless I’m naturally weighing in the mid 130’s (which I really doubt). Iowa had him pegged as a 141 pounder and that was 4 years ago. I’d rather take my chances with Yianni than face down that field in 133. Yianni isn’t unbeatable in folkstyle. He needed OT to beat McKenna and assuming Gross comes back at full strength I think he’s a lot better folk wrestler than McKenna.

Plus there’s the whole Olympic weight class aspect. Gross will be 24 or 25 next year so these Olympics should be top of his mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Best team they’ve had recently but no way they’re a legit threat to Iowa or PSU in tournament scoring next season. 

If I were Gross I’d bump to 141 unless I’m naturally weighing in the mid 130’s (which I really doubt). Iowa had him pegged as a 141 pounder and that was 4 years ago. I’d rather take my chances with Yianni than face down that field in 133. Yianni isn’t unbeatable in folkstyle. He needed OT to beat McKenna and assuming Gross comes back at full strength I think he’s a lot better folk wrestler than McKenna.

Plus there’s the whole Olympic weight class aspect. Gross will be 24 or 25 next year so these Olympics should be top of his mind.

I'm not sure Gross matches up well with Yianni.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...