Jimmy Cinnabon

Any word on Kyle Conel, Cassar or Rasheed?

23 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Wilson lost to Paul Konrath, who didn't qualify, before he was injured. Even if your point stands that his issues were injury related, it only hurts your Conel argument. Watch his two matches from this past year. He can barely lift his arm and we know that shoulder injuries are notoriously difficult to overcome. Pointing out that he has a long history of injuries doesn't help your case. He was healthy his Junior year and was still a fringe qualifier (I believe he got a wildcard). I don't see any reason to believe he's going to be significantly improved from that overall season of work after a major shoulder injury.

Perhaps an even better comparison would be Sa'Derian Perry from that same year. Under .500 that year, but got hot and benefited from some upsets to place. People all of a sudden talked about him like he was a sure fire AA. Unsurprisingly, he wrestled a lot closer to his overall body of work than to his one weekend performance. He ended up going 1-2 at NCAAs this year. In general, when a wrestler has a tournament that is significantly better than their overall body of work, the body of work is going to be a better indicator of future results than that tournament.

But, your inferences hinted nothing at injuries making them drop back, but nearly solely called it a fluke performance leading everyone to believe their talent levels weren't consistent with those results.  I seriously beg to differ.  Fully healthy BOTH are top 3 types and THAT was what I was getting at.  Hell, I even stated that they definitely need to show they are healthy for me to consider them, but THAT is the only factor I believe would hold them back.

Perry was never in the same stratosphere as either.  He caught a very fortuitous bracket and snuck into 8th place.  Taking 3rd DEMANDS beating some quality opponents.  Taking 8th DOES NOT.  I watched him wrestle and KNEW his chances of AAing again were very small.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:13 PM, Cradle1 said:

So if he were to take an Olympic redshirt this year (which he’s eligible for as ncaa champ) he could complete his ncaa career in 2022, eight years after finishing high school.

Here is the criteria for an Olympic redshirt. "Only"  winning NCAA's does not earn an Olympic redshirt. http://content.themat.com/forms/2020-Olympic-Redshirt-Criteria.pdf

On 5/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, MSU158 said:

But, your inferences hinted nothing at injuries making them drop back, but nearly solely called it a fluke performance leading everyone to believe their talent levels weren't consistent with those results.  I seriously beg to differ.  Fully healthy BOTH are top 3 types and THAT was what I was getting at.  Hell, I even stated that they definitely need to show they are healthy for me to consider them, but THAT is the only factor I believe would hold them back.

Perry was never in the same stratosphere as either.  He caught a very fortuitous bracket and snuck into 8th place.  Taking 3rd DEMANDS beating some quality opponents.  Taking 8th DOES NOT.  I watched him wrestle and KNEW his chances of AAing again were very small.

I think Conel’s tournament could’ve been a fluke (and am doubtful he beats Beard), but not Wilson.

Conel had 11 losses that year, and by my count only 3 were “good” losses (Machiavello, Darmstadt, Weigel).  He was also already a redshirt junior so had a longer history.

Wilson on the other hand was just a redshirt freshman.  He did have 10 losses, but 6 were to 3 people (2 being a teammate).  The other 4 were in the finals against Gross, Brock, Pletcher and Bridges, and he majored both Brock and Pletcher at NCAA’s and then beat Bridges this year.   The Konrath loss was bad this year but that was it, he was more just a victim of a loaded weight and coming back from injury. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think Conel’s tournament could’ve been a fluke (and am doubtful he beats Beard), but not Wilson.

Conel had 11 losses that year, and by my count only 3 were “good” losses (Machiavello, Darmstadt, Weigel).  He was also already a redshirt junior so had a longer history.

Wilson on the other hand was just a redshirt freshman.  He did have 10 losses, but 6 were to 3 people (2 being a teammate).  The other 4 were in the finals against Gross, Brock, Pletcher and Bridges, and he majored both Brock and Pletcher at NCAA’s and then beat Bridges this year.   The Konrath loss was bad this year but that was it, he was more just a victim of a loaded weight and coming back from injury. 

I am not sure you have the whole picture where Conel is concerned.  You may call it his 4th season, but he had really only had his  redshirt and 1st season. The year before he was immediately injured and left the team and wrestling altogether. 

His rssoph season was more about getting healthy, re-dedicating himself and shaking off the rust.   THAT is the reason I think his NCAA performance was mostly showing his true potential vs. being a fluke. 

I would agree that another injury lost season, plus a transfer may keep him from reaching that potential, but “flukiness” is NOT a factor. 

Edited by MSU158

46 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Why does USAW set the criteria for an Olympic redshirt?  Shouldn't it be up to the NCAA?

The NCAA sets the requirement that they meet the NGBs status for a potential team member. How would the NCAA know if they were good enough? It would differ FS vs Greco and also differ for those going to US Colleges but representing other countries.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Guessing we eventually see Shakur Rasheed also stating he will go one more year, assuming they give it to him. 

According to this article, "Shakur Rasheed has said he, too, will return to the Penn State lineup, also having been granted an extra year of eligibility."

Edited by Katie

15 minutes ago, Katie said:

According to this article, Shakur may have already gotten a sixth year. It says, " Shakur Rasheed has said he, too, will return to the Penn State lineup, also having been granted an extra year of eligibility."

Well there you go. That will be a formidable line up. Thx.