Jimmy Cinnabon

DeSanto - what is he missing?

Offense from space.  Iowa is REALLY, REALLY good from the colllar ties, but their offense nearly goes non-existent from space.  OkState exposed them in a major way in last year's dual.

Also, getting out from crab/leg rides is paramount for him.  He moved well on bottom last year, but when he got stymied, it was pretty much only from that series.

More diversified offense.  He doesn't necessarily need to attack from space, but he does need more than an inside tie on the opponent's left arm.  He did get better hitting his single to the opponent's right leg---but a huge majority of his offense is from the exact same tie.

14 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

More diversified offense.  He doesn't necessarily need to attack from space, but he does need more than an inside tie on the opponent's left arm.  He did get better hitting his single to the opponent's right leg---but a huge majority of his offense is from the exact same tie.

100% of your offense can't be from collar ties.  I don't care how many attacks you have from the ties, you can't force the ties on everyone and guys with good offense from space are usually really good at blocking off ties.  If you can't score from that position, the faster guys are going to pick you off.  The more you try to drive into the ties, you are opening your legs up to attacks.  You have to be able to circle and create some type of leg attacks to throw them off balance.  A small, but significant enough dose of that will help you get back to your ties a lot quicker and with less risk.

14 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

100% of your offense can't be from collar ties.  I don't care how many attacks you have from the ties, you can't force the ties on everyone and guys with good offense from space are usually really good at blocking off ties.  If you can't score from that position, the faster guys are going to pick you off.  The more you try to drive into the ties, you are opening your legs up to attacks.  You have to be able to circle and create some type of leg attacks to throw them off balance.  A small, but significant enough dose of that will help you get back to your ties a lot quicker and with less risk.

Makes sense... but doesn't need to become a John W. Smith from space, but it is nice to have the threat there.  I really think he can do fine with a huge majority coming from various loose ties... but not the same thing every time.  

Look at the numbers of scores from last years Worlds.  A majority came from non-control ties, followed by open, followed by control ties.

23 minutes ago, Boompa said:

Shots from space from Iowa...LOL!

Kemerer does it.  Cass will do it. Brands will do it.  Turk has a nice shot if he ever cracks the lineup again.  McDonough did it all the time.  Burak would shoot.  Brooks would shoot.  Sorensen would shoot.  Meyer would shoot.  Clark would shoot. St. John would shoot.  Dziewa would shoot.  Kelly actually shot a lot.  It isn't something new.

With that said, this past season was the most 1 dimensional I have EVER seen Iowa from neutral.  Top to bottom, the entire squad relied exclusively on collar ties.  Outside of Young and Warner, I don't remember a committed shot attempt from space from any other starter.

5 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Makes sense... but doesn't need to become a John W. Smith from space, but it is nice to have the threat there.  I really think he can do fine with a huge majority coming from various loose ties... but not the same thing every time.  

Look at the numbers of scores from last years Worlds.  A majority came from non-control ties, followed by open, followed by control ties.

I completely agree.  You can do exceptionally well if 80ish percent of your offense comes from ties.  Just not 99-100.  Lugo is probably the EXACT example of this issue.  He is AA material on top and bottom as well as from the ties.  But, being short in stature is a major detriment to his offense, if he is scouted well.  Keep your hips back in ties and try to shrug them off repeatedly.  Create space as often as possible.  In so doing, you likely either benefit from him tiring at the end of matches, forcing a bad attack or opening himself to an attack by trying to force an inside tie.

A simple sweep single or even a low, bull rush double would work wonders to combat those tactics.  Neither of those are really high risk and the benefits scream USE ME!

34 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Just off the top of my head I'd say what DeSanto is lacking is about 1 pound and 8 ounces of grey matter.

I was going to say Emotional Intelligence, but not sure the grappling world thinks in those terms. 

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Kemerer does it.  Cass will do it. Brands will do it.  Turk has a nice shot if he ever cracks the lineup again.  McDonough did it all the time.  Burak would shoot.  Brooks would shoot.  Sorensen would shoot.  Meyer would shoot.  Clark would shoot. St. John would shoot.  Dziewa would shoot.  Kelly actually shot a lot.  It isn't something new.

With that said, this past season was the most 1 dimensional I have EVER seen Iowa from neutral.  Top to bottom, the entire squad relied exclusively on collar ties.  Outside of Young and Warner, I don't remember a committed shot attempt from space from any other starter.

Lee and Wilcke both attack from space. Wilcke probably attacks from space more than anybody on the team. Very underrated misdirection low single to the left side. Warner doesn't really attack from space, but has a nice touch and go knee pull similar to what Andrew Howe used to have where he clubs hard and changes levels to the leg right away. Gilman hits it quite a bit too.

I would say that Desanto needs to diversify his handfight a little bit so that guys can't just defend the tricep tie. I'd also like to see him improve his single leg finish. He's pretty solid finishing out the back door, but struggles when he has to get to the corner and come to his feet. Defending leg rides is also a priority, but he was pretty solid on bottom overall last year. Only got ridden by two guys that I can recall (Lizak and Fix).

Edited by qc8223

15 minutes ago, qc8223 said:

Lee and Wilcke both attack from space. Wilcke probably attacks from space more than anybody on the team. Very underrated misdirection low single to the left side. Warner doesn't really attack from space, but has a nice touch and go knee pull similar to what Andrew Howe used to have where he clubs hard and changes levels to the leg right away. Gilman hits it quite a bit too.

I would say that Desanto needs to diversify his handfight a little bit so that guys can't just defend the tricep tie. I'd also like to see him improve his single leg finish. He's pretty solid finishing out the back door, but struggles when he has to get to the corner and come to his feet. Defending leg rides is also a priority, but he was pretty solid on bottom overall last year. Only got ridden by two guys that I can recall (Lizak and Fix).

Lee does?  When exactly? In the 2018-2019 season?  I would bet significant funds that less than 10% of his takedowns against a NCAA qualifier were a result of his taking a shot from space(re-shots DO NOT count).

All I really remember from Wilcke are ducks and high crotches and his attack rate being quite low. Also, how much of the time does he spend in collar ties vs. wrestling from space.  He may have the ability to actually create offense from space, but would you consider it an attack that he uses over ANY other attack he uses?

I actually think DeSanto handfights exceptionally well, but inevitably transitions into that tie.  So, it is really his transition off the handfighting that is the issue.  Handfight directly into that single or to the opposite arm or even develop a high crotch to the opposite side.

7 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'm sure a lot of people would make that assertion :D Quite contrary, I'm a German ethnicity and have a giant, square cranium filled to the brim with topnotch class "A" braininess.

Makes perfect sense.  Germans are well know for an inaccurately high opinion of themselves!  ;)

44 minutes ago, headache said:

Even Yianni can't consistently attack from space. It's a rare skill that is not necessary to winning a NCAA championship.

Nowhere did I say consistently.  In fact, I was saying less than 1 in 5 parts of his offensive attacks while not even asking for the conversion rate to match.  I am just saying that NOT having that offense AT ALL, makes it exceptionally difficult to beat someone that exclusively wrestles from space if the ref doesn't help you with stall calls.

I am not even asking for full fledged single legs or blast doubles.  Hell, catch a wrist and attack an ankle.  Drop levels and tap some knees.  But, just plodding forward to try to catch the head is a recipe for disaster against the top tier guys that wrestle from space.  OkState has proven that time and time again as they have proven to be an even tougher head to head matchup than PSU for Iowa under Brands.

Edited by MSU158

43 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

How about better defense? I think that's easier to work on than a shot from space he's never had. Even half of Suriano's defense coupled with his pace and offense, as one-dimensional as it may be, might do the trick.

Better defense is a non-starter.  That basically works for EVERYONE, including Suriano.  I think DeSanto's defense is solid enough that just a couple more attacks to go with his high pace would make him exceptionally hard to beat.  Like I said before, improvement against crab/leg rides to go with that offensive expansion would make him a complete wrestler and a true contender at the weight.

13 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Last Hawkeye to "shoot from space" was Joe Williams.

Not true.  McDonough would do it all the time.  Hell, he would shoot from different zip codes and basically land on his belly.  He was just so good at pulling the legs in while fully extended that he was able to get away with it nearly all the time.  True shame that he ended his career with the shoulder injury.  It essentially took away the best part of his wrestling.

Edited by MSU158

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Guys who wrestle from space are great at blocking off ties. Guys who wrestle from ties are great at closing the gap. Look at Lee. He is fantastic at closing the gap and getting from a tie to a shot. I think Desanto needs to learn to attack some new angles but I dont think he will ever really be a threat from space.