Housebuye

Who wins the team title next year?

This is Iowa’s best shot at a title in years. It looks like other teams will likely have down years with a combination of losing talent and Olympic redshirts. They have 10 legitimate AA threats and multiple title threats  

PSU has 10 AA candidates and 7 finalist contenders. They could run away with it again. 

tOSU has a lot of freshman, but everyone in the lineup is an AA contender. 

Cornell is stacked, with 8 AA contenders, multiple returning finalists. They are a serious title contender assuming Yianni wrestles. 

OSU doesn’t look quite as good on paper as others, but have a bunch of returning AAs. 

ASU is a dark horse contender. It depends on if their freshman can perform. They don’t have a single hole in the lineup. I expect 10 qualifiers 

NC State is in the mix too but they needs the Bullards to AA. They have a hole at 285, but they were true freshman last year and have been training with Gwiz and Mach. I’m sure they are much better. 

Michigan is solid too. Many of their guys are borderline AAs. They tend to underperform, but should have 10 qualifiers. 

So many teams can win it this year. 

The safe pick is PSU, but that aside, I think Cornell is my dark horse champ pick. 

Vito, Yianni, Dean and Darmstadt all have title potential. Tucker and Womack could very well AA. They just need 1 other guy to step up (Berryessa?) and they can win it all. This only happens if they have all 4 of the top guys place top 3. They don’t have the 10 AA contenders like a few other teams, so they have to make up for that. 

Cant wait. I expect a fair amount of parity next season

PSU by 20 points. Ohio State in 2nd, Iowa or OSU for 3rd. Pretty much rinse and repeat at this point. I like Iowa's chances to move up next year, though.

I would be tickled if Cornell won the team title, btw.

Edited by TobusRex

27 minutes ago, Sublime607 said:

Just like the germans try to erase there history from 1935-45. PSU denies the year 2015 ever existed.

Actually I think "Back to back to back" means winning 4  titles in a row which PSU has now done twice.  Just saying

Gotta go with Iowa this year simply because I picked them to win at least once with Lee.  If forced to bet money, I would have to fall back on PSU, so I WILL NOT be betting money!  Still if you go side by side with Iowa against any team next season, even PSU looks hard pressed to win

125 Iowa:  Lee-2x Champ----------PSU: Likely 0-2-------------------tOSU: Heinselman-maybe a couple of points--------------------------OkState-Picc 3rdish

133 Iowa: DeSanto-4thish---------PSU: 7th/8thish-------------------tOSU: 4thish------------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-Finalist

141 Iowa:  Murin-low AA/R12---PSU:  3rd-5th-----------------------tOSU: 0-2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-low AA/R12

149 Iowa: Lugo-mid-low AA------PSU:  R12-R16--------------------tOSU: IF Hayes, mid-low AA------------------------------------------------------OkState-low AA/R12

157 Iowa:  Young-High AA--------PSU:  low AA/R12---------------tOSU: IF Sasso, mid AA-R12-----------------------------------------------------OkState-maybe a pt. or 2

165 Iowa: Finalist-low AA---------PSU: Finalist-mid AA----------tOSU:  maybe a pt. or 2--------------------------------------------------------------OkState-Depends on if fat Joe shows up say low AA for now

174 Iowa: Kemerer-High AA-----PSU: Finalist-----------------------tOSU:  R12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-R12ish

184 Iowa: Wilcke-Mid AA-R16  PSU: wide range-----------------tOSU:  wide range----------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-low AA R12ish

197 Iowa: Warner-Mid-low AA PSU: wide range-----------------tOSU:  Finalist-----------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-maybe a pt or 2

285 Iowa: Cass-wide range-----PSU: Finalist-----------------------tOSU:  maybe low AA-R16----------------------------------------------------------OkState-maybe a pt or 2

1.)Iowa has proven AA caliber at every weight but 285 and Cass has wrestled so much that he has proven AA is probable. 

2.)PSU has question marks at 125, 149, 157, 184 and 197.  If their history holds with new guys hitting the ground running, they will be very hard to beat.  Still, it is hard to say AT THIS POINT IN TIME, what you will get from that group.

3.) tOSU will have huge holes to fill at 141 and 184.  On top of that I just don't see many points from 125, 141 and 165.  For them to truly contend Sasso and Hoffman have to AA high with Moore winning it and Pletcher again making top 4.  They look like they just have too many holes this year to make it happen.

4.)OkState takes a BIG hit at 197 and 285.  I just don't see them recouping most of those points.  157 also looks like a hole at this point.  Again, I just don't see this lineup truly challenging.

I really see it as a 2 horse race between PSU and Iowa.  The key for Iowa to contend is not taking a bunch of 7th/8ths.  Those guys need to be wrestling on the championship mats on Friday night.  On top of that, they need Verkleeren and Berge to stay semi-pedestrian and stay off the podium, along with whomever mans 184/197 not finishing higher than low AAs.  PSU is going to get their big points from Lee, Joseph, Hall and Cassar so it really comes down to what the supporting cast does to put them over the top.

6 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

Actually I think "Back to back to back" means winning 4  titles in a row which PSU has now done twice.  Just saying

Back to back to back would be three titles in a row.  Their 2019 title was not included.

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

This is Iowa’s best shot at a title in years. It looks like other teams will likely have down years with a combination of losing talent and Olympic redshirts. They have 10 legitimate AA threats and multiple title threats  

PSU has 10 AA candidates and 7 finalist contenders. They could run away with it again. 

tOSU has a lot of freshman, but everyone in the lineup is an AA contender. 

Cornell is stacked, with 8 AA contenders, multiple returning finalists. They are a serious title contender assuming Yianni wrestles. 

OSU doesn’t look quite as good on paper as others, but have a bunch of returning AAs. 

ASU is a dark horse contender. It depends on if their freshman can perform. They don’t have a single hole in the lineup. I expect 10 qualifiers 

NC State is in the mix too but they needs the Bullards to AA. They have a hole at 285, but they were true freshman last year and have been training with Gwiz and Mach. I’m sure they are much better. 

Michigan is solid too. Many of their guys are borderline AAs. They tend to underperform, but should have 10 qualifiers. 

So many teams can win it this year. 

The safe pick is PSU, but that aside, I think Cornell is my dark horse champ pick. 

Vito, Yianni, Dean and Darmstadt all have title potential. Tucker and Womack could very well AA. They just need 1 other guy to step up (Berryessa?) and they can win it all. This only happens if they have all 4 of the top guys place top 3. They don’t have the 10 AA contenders like a few other teams, so they have to make up for that. 

Cant wait. I expect a fair amount of parity next season

I think you are way to optimistic about Cornell.  They have 4 strong AA contenders in Vito, Yianni, Max, & Darmstadt (assuming he is healthy).  Tucker is tough but in a loaded weight - he will have to step up his game to make the podium.  Womack is also an outside shot to AA.  They really havn't shown that they have anyone that can compete on a high level at 149, 157, 165 (I include Berrysea) and 285.  This could change if they bring in some of their star laden-ed recruiting class to beef up some of those weak spots.  I will be interested to see who grey shirts for them.   Right now it appears that the race is between PSU & Iowa with others playing catch up.

1 hour ago, TBar1977 said:

Penn State because ……….

"That's What We Do"

Screen_Shot_2018_03_20_at_9.22.29_AM.png

Does PSU claim a title in 1921?  That isn't on the penn state wrestling club website.  It also predates the brackets on wrestlingstats. 

31 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Gotta go with Iowa this year simply because I picked them to win at least once with Lee.  If forced to bet money, I would have to fall back on PSU, so I WILL NOT be betting money!  Still if you go side by side with Iowa against any team next season, even PSU looks hard pressed to win

125 Iowa:  Lee-2x Champ----------PSU: Likely 0-2-------------------tOSU: Heinselman-maybe a couple of points--------------------------OkState-Picc 3rdish

133 Iowa: DeSanto-4thish---------PSU: 7th/8thish-------------------tOSU: 4thish------------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-Finalist

141 Iowa:  Murin-low AA/R12---PSU:  3rd-5th-----------------------tOSU: 0-2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-low AA/R12

149 Iowa: Lugo-mid-low AA------PSU:  R12-R16--------------------tOSU: IF Hayes, mid-low AA------------------------------------------------------OkState-low AA/R12

157 Iowa:  Young-High AA--------PSU:  low AA/R12---------------tOSU: IF Sasso, mid AA-R12-----------------------------------------------------OkState-maybe a pt. or 2

165 Iowa: Finalist-low AA---------PSU: Finalist-mid AA----------tOSU:  maybe a pt. or 2--------------------------------------------------------------OkState-Depends on if fat Joe shows up say low AA for now

174 Iowa: Kemerer-High AA-----PSU: Finalist-----------------------tOSU:  R12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-R12ish

184 Iowa: Wilcke-Mid AA-R16  PSU: wide range-----------------tOSU:  wide range----------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-low AA R12ish

197 Iowa: Warner-Mid-low AA PSU: wide range-----------------tOSU:  Finalist-----------------------------------------------------------------------------OkState-maybe a pt or 2

285 Iowa: Cass-wide range-----PSU: Finalist-----------------------tOSU:  maybe low AA-R16----------------------------------------------------------OkState-maybe a pt or 2

1.)Iowa has proven AA caliber at every weight but 285 and Cass has wrestled so much that he has proven AA is probable. 

2.)PSU has question marks at 125, 149, 157, 184 and 197.  If their history holds with new guys hitting the ground running, they will be very hard to beat.  Still, it is hard to say AT THIS POINT IN TIME, what you will get from that group.

3.) tOSU will have huge holes to fill at 141 and 184.  On top of that I just don't see many points from 125, 141 and 165.  For them to truly contend Sasso and Hoffman have to AA high with Moore winning it and Pletcher again making top 4.  They look like they just have too many holes this year to make it happen.

4.)OkState takes a BIG hit at 197 and 285.  I just don't see them recouping most of those points.  157 also looks like a hole at this point.  Again, I just don't see this lineup truly challenging.

I really see it as a 2 horse race between PSU and Iowa.  The key for Iowa to contend is not taking a bunch of 7th/8ths.  Those guys need to be wrestling on the championship mats on Friday night.  On top of that, they need Verkleeren and Berge to stay semi-pedestrian and stay off the podium, along with whomever mans 184/197 not finishing higher than low AAs.  PSU is going to get their big points from Lee, Joseph, Hall and Cassar so it really comes down to what the supporting cast does to put them over the top.

Are you a bit optimistic on Kemerer?  He is coming off an injury and a 4th place finish at 157 and moving up two weights to a weight with Valencia, Hall, and Amine.  I don't reckon he will beat those three.  So something in the 4-6 range seems more realistic to me. 

3 minutes ago, Fishbane said:

Are you a bit optimistic on Kemerer?  He is coming off an injury and a 4th place finish at 157 and moving up two weights to a weight with Valencia, Hall, and Amine.  I don't reckon he will beat those three.  So something in the 4-6 range seems more realistic to me. 

I am very high on Kemerer.  That "4th place finish" is a little bit cherry picked considering he ended up on the same side of the bracket as Nolf and then had to injury default in the 3rd/4th match.  By every indication he has recovered from his surgery very well and looks great up at 174.  I expect his attack rate to be very high like it was his freshman season and his gas tank will hopefully be reinvigorated by not having to pull the weight.  I truly expect him to be right there with those 3.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Fishbane said:

Does PSU claim a title in 1921?  That isn't on the penn state wrestling club website.  It also predates the brackets on wrestlingstats. 

I wondered about that too when I saw the banner a few years ago. The NCAA tournament as such started in 1928. What I was told was that prior to the actual tournament it was basically a dual meet thing based on records throughout the year. I think Cornell could claim some of those also.

1 hour ago, Fishbane said:

i saw that too... earliest brackets i can find are 1928

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

You are at least consistent. Ha ha. 

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

I just like to bust PSU fans balls there are so many these days you know you will get a reaction. Now when I used to read this forum before the Cal era very few to be found just Metcalf after Metcalf posts. It's all just in good clean fun

Edited by Sublime607

Just now, Sublime607 said:

I just like to bust PSU fans balls there are so many these days you know you will get a reaction. Now when I used to read this forum before the Cal era very few to be found just Metcalf after Metcalf posts

Wrestling was invented in 2010, no? Ha ha. 

7 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

The team race was sealed when the NCAA granted extra eligibility to Cassar & Rasheed for their inability to crack the starting lineup earlier in their careers.

Cassar had serious injuries for 2 seasons where he didn't wrestle at all. I think he may have withdrawn from school one of those years. So it was not due to his inability to crack the lineup. Also, he may not even come back this year.

Where do you see potential 7 finalists for PSU?  I see 5.  RBY is AA candidate, so is Beard but neither are potential finalists IMO.

141 - Nick Lee

165 - Joseph

174 - Hall

184 - Rasheed (if he returns)

Hwt - Cassar (if he returns)

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon