Jump to content
Jimmy Cinnabon

The Mekhi Lewis Juggernaut

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, WillieBoy said:

Cael & Co will have Joseph working on at least two more takedowns so he can vary his attack. Lewis will be scouted more carefully and Josph wins another NCAA title.

You'll be heartbroken if he doesn't huh?

------------------------------------------

No. Based on how Penn State guys have done it is a good possibility Joseph gets the job done. Lewis hits a sophomore slump as more figure out how to go with him and he wears down a bit as the season progresses. He will the "The Match of The Year" for most he faces and will see many wrestling above their normal abilities as a result. It will wear him down.

Then again, what do I know? All I have seen is online and don't know the kid at all. I do like Penn State but would not be much of a fan if Cody Sanderson was not there on the coaching staff. For now I'll go with them as he and his younger brother are doing a good job. Would love to root for John Smith, the Greatest wrestler the US has ever produced and he would be my #2 choice - after a Coach I know at Penn State.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lewis may have a sophomore slump, but I'm betting his rate of improvement outpaces any slump and he has another great year. Interestingly, he is not wrestling freestyle this summer, which to me is a sign of commitment to next year (I haven't heard or seen anything to suspect injury or burnout). I think Marinelli has the best shot of upsetting him. Very strong and fundamentally solid, doesn't take undue risks and almost always stays in good position. Obviously Cenzo has the talent to do it too but Lewis won so convincingly when Cenzo has usually shined and wrestled his best, it's hard for me to see that right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Lewis may have a sophomore slump, but I'm betting his rate of improvement outpaces any slump and he has another great year. Interestingly, he is not wrestling freestyle this summer, which to me is a sign of commitment to next year (I haven't heard or seen anything to suspect injury or burnout). I think Marinelli has the best shot of upsetting him. Very strong and fundamentally solid, doesn't take undue risks and almost always stays in good position. Obviously Cenzo has the talent to do it too but Lewis won so convincingly when Cenzo has usually shined and wrestled his best, it's hard for me to see that right now.

I read or saw an interview of Cenzo's where he said he comes up to his feet baiting opponents to go for that cradle because he never thought anyone was strong enough to lock it on him. Ironically, I saw something from Mehki where he says he saw that cradle position while scouting Cenzo. 

I think now Mehki will be scouted, and also both Marinelli and Cenzo have a feel for his game. I think Mehki is great, but I also think Cenzo and Marinelli are great despite Marinelli 2x underperforming at NCAA. This will be interesting going forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pamela said:

Any possibility that Hayden Hidlay goes 165? I thought he looked ginormous for 157.

He's built but short. He can make 157 again and if he can't, he'll cut off whatever he needs to to make it. He is either the favorite or co-favorite next year at 157 and perhaps a darkhorse at best at 165. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, pamela said:

Any possibility that Hayden Hidlay goes 165? I thought he looked ginormous for 157.

It doesn’t work with their lineup this coming year, so I doubt it. Hidlay has also been competing at 70kg. If he was going up I assume he’d compete at 74kg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Lewis may have a sophomore slump, but I'm betting his rate of improvement outpaces any slump and he has another great year. Interestingly, he is not wrestling freestyle this summer, which to me is a sign of commitment to next year (I haven't heard or seen anything to suspect injury or burnout). I think Marinelli has the best shot of upsetting him. Very strong and fundamentally solid, doesn't take undue risks and almost always stays in good position. Obviously Cenzo has the talent to do it too but Lewis won so convincingly when Cenzo has usually shined and wrestled his best, it's hard for me to see that right now.

Either coach Robie or frayer said mehki needs some time off from competing. I believe it was mentioned that he had been training for about a year without much of a break. It was also mentioned that he is still in the room training and trying to get better for next year which isn’t good news for his opponents next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Housebuye said:

It doesn’t work with their lineup this coming year, so I doubt it. Hidlay has also been competing at 70kg. If he was going up I assume he’d compete at 74kg

Oops, I just remembered that you mentioned this not so long ago when discussing potential lineups for next year. I wonder if it's a rough cut for Hidlay - didn't he have a couple of questionable mental lapses in recent college and FS matches (I'm not referring to the Nolf match). I thought he went 70kg because it was a wider-open window to make the world team than at 74kg with JB, IMart, Valencia, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, pamela said:

Oops, I just remembered that you mentioned this not so long ago when discussing potential lineups for next year. I wonder if it's a rough cut for Hidlay - didn't he have a couple of questionable mental lapses in recent college and FS matches (I'm not referring to the Nolf match). I thought he went 70kg because it was a wider-open window to make the world team than at 74kg with JB, IMart, Valencia, etc.

I don't think it is a terrible cut. If it is, he will go up. They can't risk not scoring points at both 157 and 165. 

He wrestles at 70kg so I have to assume the cut to 157 isn't that terrible. 

I'm not sure what his lapses are caused by. It is a weird thing in the last year. I think he just may need some time off. He has been going hard for 2 years straight. Making U23s last year may have been a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

I don't think it is a terrible cut. If it is, he will go up. They can't risk not scoring points at both 157 and 165. 

He wrestles at 70kg so I have to assume the cut to 157 isn't that terrible. 

I'm not sure what his lapses are caused by. It is a weird thing in the last year. I think he just may need some time off. He has been going hard for 2 years straight. Making U23s last year may have been a bad thing.

U23s seemed to be an issue for McFadden and Lewis too in the early season and suspect it impacted hidlay too. 

I’m a vt fan so take my opinion for with a grain of salt. Hidlay doesn’t look too big for 157. I’ve stood beside him and suspect he’s probably at the ideal weight for his height. I know bc laprade took him to the wire in the dual and maybe a couple other guys did too. But he peaked when it mattered and still had a good ncaa minus the nolf call. 

I’d chaulk him as a preseason natty champ favorite. He’s fundamentally sound, rarely gets out of position and has a great motor. His younger brother may end as good or even better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Creek chub said:

U23s seemed to be an issue for McFadden and Lewis too in the early season and suspect it impacted hidlay too. 

I’m a vt fan so take my opinion for with a grain of salt. Hidlay doesn’t look too big for 157. I’ve stood beside him and suspect he’s probably at the ideal weight for his height. I know bc laprade took him to the wire in the dual and maybe a couple other guys did too. But he peaked when it mattered and still had a good ncaa minus the nolf call. 

 I’d chaulk him as a preseason natty champ favorite. He’s fundamentally sound, rarely gets out of position and has a great motor. His younger brother may end as good or even better

First, Lewis wrestled in Juniors not in U23's. It may have affected McFadden but I doubt it affected Lewis much since Juniors are sooner (September). I don't believe these competitions have as much of a negative effect on the wrestlers as people are making them out to have.

Second, while Lewis' first loss to Flynn may have shown to be a bit of a fluke, his loss to Isaiah White was not a bad one. He only rode White for 9 seconds and then got ridden the entire 3rd period. While I'm sure Lewis' ability to get off the bottom improved throughout the year, this is a loss I could see him taking again next year. They never faced each other again this past season.

Third, Hidlay lost to more than just Nolf at NCAA's last year. While I'd agree he's the favorite there are still capable contenders coming back at the weight like Deakin (Final X) and Early (win over Hidlay). Additionally, there will be many young studs coming off redshirt next year who may show themselves as title threats. I do think Hidlay would have a much tougher time winning it or even placing top 3 up a weight though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

First, Lewis wrestled in Juniors not in U23's. It may have affected McFadden but I doubt it affected Lewis much since Juniors are sooner (September). I don't believe these competitions have as much of a negative effect on the wrestlers as people are making them out to have.

Second, while Lewis' first loss to Flynn may have shown to be a bit of a fluke, his loss to Isaiah White was not a bad one. He only rode White for 9 seconds and then got ridden the entire 3rd period. While I'm sure Lewis' ability to get off the bottom improved throughout the year, this is a loss I could see him taking again next year. They never faced each other again this past season.

Third, Hidlay lost to more than just Nolf at NCAA's last year. While I'd agree he's the favorite there are still capable contenders coming back at the weight like Deakin (Final X) and Early (win over Hidlay). Additionally, there will be many young studs coming off redshirt next year who may show themselves as title threats. I do think Hidlay would have a much tougher time winning it or even placing top 3 up a weight though.

Ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JerryCallo said:

Isn't there a Stanford kid coming off red shirt at 157 this coming year as well? 

Assume you mean Shane Griffith, but he'll presumably be 165.  Had a great year and wrestled Cenzo tough at the Scuffle.  Just made the Junior WTT finals but fell in 2 matches to David Carr.  

Speaking of which, on the topic of 157, Carr will definitely be a factor next year, as will Teemer and potentially Sasso (if he's outgrown 149).  

And don't sleep on Ryan Deakin. His performance the last month of college the season was not indicative of his talent level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Assume you mean Shane Griffith, but he'll presumably be 165.  Had a great year and wrestled Cenzo tough at the Scuffle.  Just made the Junior WTT finals but fell in 2 matches to David Carr.  

Speaking of which, on the topic of 157, Carr will definitely be a factor next year, as will Teemer and potentially Sasso (if he's outgrown 149).  

And don't sleep on Ryan Deakin. His performance the last month of college the season was not indicative of his talent level.  

Deakin just isn’t as good at folk I think. 

Sasso I expect at 149. Teemer I 100% agree. Dark horse champ potential. 

Carr I hope stays at 157. He can beat anyone there. Even Hidlay on the right day. 

Shane Griffith is another guy who could win a title. He will be at 165. Super excited to see how he does. Stanford is going to be very good. They will push ASU again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Deakin just isn’t as good at folk I think. 

Sasso I expect at 149. Teemer I 100% agree. Dark horse champ potential. 

 Carr I hope stays at 157. He can beat anyone there. Even Hidlay on the right day. 

Shane Griffith is another guy who could win a title. He will be at 165. Super excited to see how he does. Stanford is going to be very good. They will push ASU again

Plus Brayton Lee who just beat both those guys will be in the mix. What weight do you think he's going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Assume you mean Shane Griffith, but he'll presumably be 165.  Had a great year and wrestled Cenzo tough at the Scuffle.  Just made the Junior WTT finals but fell in 2 matches to David Carr.  

Speaking of which, on the topic of 157, Carr will definitely be a factor next year, as will Teemer and potentially Sasso (if he's outgrown 149).  

And don't sleep on Ryan Deakin. His performance the last month of college the season was not indicative of his talent level.  

I would guess that we will see D Carr at 165 next year. He looked pretty good sized wrestling 74kg (163).  Teemer ASU, Lewan Mi, Robb Neb,  and either Sasso (if he's not at 149) or Mattox Oh St and possibly B Lee will all add great competition at 157 next year.

Edited by lu1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I would guess that we will see D Carr at 165 next year. He looked pretty good sized wrestling 74kg (163).  Teemer ASU, Lewan Mi, Robb Neb,  and either Sasso (if he's not at 149) or Mattox Oh St and possibly B Lee will all add great competition at 157 next year. 

I'm guessing given the hammers at 165 he'll go 157 initially. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Plus Brayton Lee who just beat both those guys will be in the mix. What weight do you think he's going?

149 I’m pretty sure. Only place he fits in the lineup. He might be able to beat out Brolsma at 157 but they don’t have another option at 149 unless Mitch McKee moves up (I hope he doesn’t)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

Teemer can't seem to wrestle a 6 minute freestyle match against a high quality opponent without gassing. Do we think that his tank can hold up in a 7 minute folkstyle match?

I think they will get corrected. If he goes 157, as rumored, he won’t need to cut much at all. It also means he is training with multiple AAs and AA contenders every day. I have to assume they hold him accountable. 

By ncaas he won’t be gassing unless there is a physical reason preventing it (some guys just don’t have gas tanks)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back at the finals' results, He had one of the more lopsided wins against one of the more credentialed opponents.  Why are we doubting this kid?  I also don't believe for a second that VJ is adding more weapons to his arsenal.  He has maxed out his ability... #insidetriporbust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, Chrissn2001 said:

Looking back at the finals' results, He had one of the more lopsided wins against one of the more credentialed opponents.  Why are we doubting this kid?  I also don't believe for a second that VJ is adding more weapons to his arsenal.  He has maxed out his ability... #insidetriporbust

Yup. Plus mehki didn’t get taken down the whole tournament which is crazy considering he’s a freshman and those studs he wrestled. His neutral  defense is top shelf. I’m not saying he’ll win it all again next year but it wouldn’t surprise me if he did in a more dominant, offensive manner than this past season if he doesn’t take an oly shirt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 2:01 PM, JerryCallo said:

Isn't there a Stanford kid coming off red shirt at 157 this coming year as well? 

I think you MAY be referring here to Gabriel Dinette as a Stanford wrestler who redshirted this past season at 157 lbs.   Dinette was a three time Colorado H.S. State champion and his father, James Dinette wrestled for Stanford.   Gabriel's brother, Isaac Dinette, wrestles for Campbell University (at 125 lbs).  However Gabriel Dinette, for reasons unknown to me, did not compete at all last season for Stanford.

Gabe Dinette did compete at the U23 Nationals about a month ago at 74 KG (163 lbs).  Here is a link to his Round of 32 match in that competition where he majored Joshua Kim (who started for Harvard last season at 174 lbs for the EIWA tournament but competed primarily at 165 lbs last season).   Dinette went 4-2 at the U23 Nationals.

Gabe Dinette video at U23 Nationals

WrestleStat has Dinette listed as the starter for Stanford next season at 157 lbs.  However I think Dominick Mandarino is more likely to be Stanford's starter next season at 157 lbs.

Edited by Bronco
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...