Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

The strangeness of U23

The U23 competition seems odd to me. I figure most college wrestlers are eligible, but most of the big names are not there. For instance, Chas Tucker did not place at the NCAAs, but he is the #1 seed at his weight in U23.

It seems that the juniors get more big names. Is that so?

Of course, the very best college guys jump straight to seniors.

Winning U23s means having to travel overseas in the middle of your college semester - that has turned off a lot of people I think.  Then you come right back and start the folkstyle season, the timing of it stinks for collegiates. 

Edited by Gantry

On 6/1/2019 at 1:46 PM, Gantry said:

Winning U23s means having to travel overseas in the middle of your college semester - that has turned off a lot of people I think.  Then you come right back and start the folkstyle season, the timing of it stinks for collegiates. 

To both our points, Tucker won it, but say he won't go to Budapest due to his academic obligations.

With Worlds being Oct 28-Nov 3 many college guys dont go because it doesn't benefit them to train freestyle up until the season starts.Imagine we will see a few guys  not go 

Edited by justafan

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

To both our points, Tucker won it, but say he won't go to Budapest due to his academic obligations.

Tucker can easily take the Fall semester off and rejoin the team after the first of the year.  Numerous Cornell wrestlers have done so in the past.

6 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Tucker can easily take the Fall semester off and rejoin the team after the first of the year.  Numerous Cornell wrestlers have done so in the past.

I'm guessing that Tucker, being an engineering student and all, probably knows pretty well what are his options.  I'm also guessing that he wants to graduate on the normal schedule.

2 hours ago, klehner said:

I'm guessing that Tucker, being an engineering student and all, probably knows pretty well what are his options.  I'm also guessing that he wants to graduate on the normal schedule.

Tucker said, that he couldn't miss classes.

Juniors a much better tournament.  This is the old University division I guess, which was never a premier event.   It is nice, though, to get guys just breaking into FS/GR some international experience and an introduction to what they can expect at Seniors.

10 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Unlike many majors such as history, english, communications, etc., engineering classes at most, if not all universities, are rigidly scheduled and must be taken in a precise order if you wish to graduate in 4 years.  

6 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Juniors a much better tournament.  This is the old University division I guess, which was never a premier event.   It is nice, though, to get guys just breaking into FS/GR some international experience and an introduction to what they can expect at Seniors.

The U23 format has been an improvement IMO--the timing continues to be difficult with the NCAA season though.  

I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the guys that made the team this weekend decline to actually attend the tournament.  

Because of financial constraints, a number of nations have to choose between sending a team to Junior or U-23; many opt for Junior, seeking to reap the developmental benefits earlier, believing if you haven't made it by 23 the investment for the long run isn't worth it.

It’s too bad the UWW can’t make the U23 prize some kind of scholarship money or something, payable to the athlete c/o their academic institution. That might raise participation while hopefully eliminating the rumors that used to float around of wrestlers not in college or over the age limit competing at the old Uni Worlds.

2 hours ago, pamela said:

It’s too bad the UWW can’t make the U23 prize some kind of scholarship money or something, payable to the athlete c/o their academic institution. That might raise participation while hopefully eliminating the rumors that used to float around of wrestlers not in college or over the age limit competing at the old Uni Worlds.

Russia had many 30 year old "students" in the day!  We wrestled a "university" team from there once--there were, shall we say, probably all "seniors."

10 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Juniors a much better tournament.  This is the old University division I guess, which was never a premier event.   It is nice, though, to get guys just breaking into FS/GR some international experience and an introduction to what they can expect at 

Edited by Ultimatepip
I was curious what happened to University Worlds

40 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

Russia had many 30 year old "students" in the day!  We wrestled a "university" team from there once--there were, shall we say, probably all "seniors."

The old cut off for University Worlds used to be age 28 and you had to be enrolled at a college. I can't say how thoroughly they checked this.

At sport universities in Russia the main focus is on training for a given sport, not academic study.  Wrestlers (at least in the day) were often given 4-6 weeks off to attend training camps and did no school work during that time and did not have to make up any work--their job was wrestling.

On 6/1/2019 at 1:37 PM, NJDan said:

The U23 competition seems odd to me. I figure most college wrestlers are eligible, but most of the big names are not there. For instance, Chas Tucker did not place at the NCAAs, but he is the #1 seed at his weight in U23.

It seems that the juniors get more big names. Is that so?

Of course, the very best college guys jump straight to seniors.

U23 is basically for competitors who aren't good enough to make the junior or senior teams at that point in time(or ever).

On 6/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, pamela said:

After changing it from "University" to U23 there is no longer a requirement to be enrolled in college.  Not that they ever checked it really thoroughly back when it was "University."

Student athletes shouldn't have to choose between educational career goals and potentially once in a lifetime wrestling opportunities. It seems silly that the timing can't be worked out so that both can be realized.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:07 AM, CA_Wrestler said:

U23 is basically for competitors who aren't good enough to make the junior or senior teams at that point in time(or ever).

I think that's fine since it's just one wrestler per weight per country. Even the US has a bit of a logjam going on in its upper weight classes. Or countries with developing programs can use U23s as a stepping stone to Seniors. 

Anyway, about the sketchy verification for Uni Worlds I remember ppl balking when Tsargush entered one year after winning World and Euro titles multiple times and medaling at the Olympics. Did the RUS wrestling send him to Unis as some sort of punishment or something?  Lol

9 hours ago, pamela said:

Anyway, about the sketchy verification for Uni Worlds I remember ppl balking when Tsargush entered one year after winning World and Euro titles multiple times and medaling at the Olympics. Did the RUS wrestling send him to Unis as some sort of punishment or something?  Lol

ah yes, the 2013 University Games in Kazan. that event had multiple sports and took place inside Russia so they took it seriously sent their number ones. Tsargush, Gadisov, Kurbanaliev. just about the whole team had or would have world medals within a year or so. the idea that they were all college students was a farce.