Hi all. Final X is quickly approaching. Bouts are as follows:

Session 1: Noon

Bout 1: Men's GR 87 kg - U.S. Open champion Joe Rau (Chicago, Ill./Titan Mercury WC/Chicago RTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Ben Provisor (State College, Pa./New York AC/Nittany Lion WC)

Bout 2: Women's FS 72 kg - U.S. Olympic champion Alyvia Fiske (Napa, Calif./Titan Mercury WC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Victoria Francis (Litchfield, Ill./Titan Mercury WC)

Bout 3: Men's GR 82 kg - U.S. Open champion Kendrick Sanders (Marquette, Mich./New York AC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion John Stefanowicz (Camp LeJeune, N.C./U.S. Marine Corps)

Bout 4: Women's FS 50 kg -U.S. Open champion Whitney Conder (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Victoria Anthony (Tempe, Ariz./Sunkist Kids)

Bout 5: Men's GR 55 kg - U.S. Open champion Max Nowry (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Brady Koontz (Plover, Wis./Ohio RTC)

Bout 6: Men's GR 67 kg - U.S. Open champion Ellis Coleman (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Jamel Johnson (Camp LeJeune, N.C./U.S. Marine Corps)

Bout 7: Women's FS 57 kg - U.S. Open champion Becka Leathers (Chapel Hill, N.C./Titan Mercury WC/Tarheel RTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Jenna Burkert (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army WCAP)

Session 2: 6 p.m.

Bout 1: Women's FS 65 kg - U.S. Open champion Forrest Molinari (Iowa City, Iowa/Titan Mercury WC/Hawkeye WC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Maya Nelson (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids/OTC)

Bout 2: Men's GR 77 kg - U.S. Open champion Kamal Bey (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids/OTC) vs. winner at World Team Trials Challenge Tournament Pat Smith (Minneapolis, Minn./Minnesota Storm)

Bout 3: Women's FS 68 kg - World bronze medalist Tamyra Mensah-Stock (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/OTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Alexandria Glaude (W. Sacramento, Calif./Titan Mercury WC/McKendree Bearcat WC)

Bout 4: Men's FS 125 kg - World bronze medalist Nick Gwiazdowski (Raleigh, N.C./Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Gable Steveson (Apple Valley, Minn./Minnesota RTC)

Bout 5: Men's FS 65 kg - U.S. Open champion Yianni Diakomihalis (Rochester, N.Y./Titan Mercury WC/Finger Lakes RTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Zain Retherford (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC) 

Bout 6: Men's FS 79 kg - World champion Kyle Dake (Ithaca, N.Y./Titan Mercury WC/Finger Lakes RTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Alex Dieringer (Stillwater, Okla./Titan Mercury WC/Cowboy RTC)

Bout 7: Men's FS 92 kg - World champion J'den Cox (Colorado Springs, Colo./Titan Mercury WC/OTC) vs. World Team Trials Challenge Tournament champion Bo Nickal (State College, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)

Besides Whitney Conder vs Victoria Anthony, I must admit that none of the noon matches pique my interest too much. Highly considering just attending the 6 PM session. Don't really want to spend all day in New Brunswick anyway. I was wondering what everyone else was thinking about doing.

P.S. Feel free to call me names for only wanting to see the marquee matchups. I deserve it. 

Edited by WrestleNJ

I'm going evening only.  The afternoon crowd will be small if it is a great beach day. I hope there are no more drop outs between now and then.  $100 for a maximum 12 matches I am interested in and possibly as few as 6 match is pretty pricey.  Will be worth it if the last 4 pairings all light it up though.

Plus it's a best of 3 series.   :)

I absolutely loved the Final X series last year - getting to watch some of the best wrestlers in the world while at the same time watching my favorite wrestlers. 

Little different format this year, down to 2 dates instead of 3 dates but should still be awesome if not better.

7 hours ago, nom said:

Is Dake wrestling on schedule?  I believe Flo and others have suggested he is not.  

Dake is still scheduled the wrestle.I think he has 72 hours prior to weigh ins to request a special wrestleoff.

33 minutes ago, justafan said:

Dake is still scheduled the wrestle.I think he has 72 hours prior to weigh ins to request a special wrestleoff.

I’m a huge fake fan but man I’m going to be pissed if he pulls out this late.

Edited by Housebuye

Now we are down to: 

1. Cox / Nickal
  2. Yianni / Zain
  3. Gwiz / Steveson

Do not add any more uninteresting matches - let's just get home at a reasonable hour.   1 more dropout and i'll have 2 VIPs available for anyone who wants them. 

36 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

This is why they should never split the locations again. If the two Finals X's were together these cancellations would not have been that big of a deal. 

The two weekend format is better. The three weekend thing last year was drug out and not as productive.

Two weekends gets the event exposed in different locations to help promote the sport. 

If they don't split it up they have 60-90 matches they need to run in one day. If they run two mats it gets watered down and you miss great matches for world team spots. Now you are are using about 7 or 8 weights per session which is a lot better. No one wants to sit on their butt all day to watch 60+ matches. Now we get condensed sessions that are much more fan friendly with 15-20 matches in each session.

Final X is much more fan friendly for those in attendance and those that can commit a few hours instead of a couple whole days to the event.

32 minutes ago, BobDole said:

The two weekend format is better. The three weekend thing last year was drug out and not as productive.

Two weekends gets the event exposed in different locations to help promote the sport. 

If they don't split it up they have 60-90 matches they need to run in one day. If they run two mats it gets watered down and you miss great matches for world team spots. Now you are are using about 7 or 8 weights per session which is a lot better. No one wants to sit on their butt all day to watch 60+ matches. Now we get condensed sessions that are much more fan friendly with 15-20 matches in each session.

Final X is much more fan friendly for those in attendance and those that can commit a few hours instead of a couple whole days to the event.

Here's some heresy - Hold all of the Men's freestyle in one place on one day.  Hold the other styles on separate weekends. By commingling you are opening USAW to a lawsuit similar to the USWNT.   

Done this way we would be seeing NJ natives Green and Burroughs.  The loss of Dake and Taylor wouldn't have scuttled the enthusiasm - for me at least

3 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

Here's some heresy - Hold all of the Men's freestyle in one place on one day.  Hold the other styles on separate weekends. By commingling you are opening USAW to a lawsuit similar to the USWNT.   

Done this way we would be seeing NJ natives Green and Burroughs.  The loss of Dake and Taylor wouldn't have scuttled the enthusiasm - for me at least

Why do you think this is opening up USAW to a lawsuit? I'm not quite following this at all.

When was the last time we have had two of the final matches postponed? I have only remembered a few over the past 10 years that were postponed. This year is definitely not the norm.

54 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

I was under the impression that the USWNT lawsuit was centered largely around disparity in pay, no?  

I'm not really following your point... how exactly does holding all three disciplines at the same events head down that road?  If anything I would think splitting them up could lead to significantly more issues.  

I was under the impression that the USWNT lawsuit was centered largely around disparity in pay, no?  
I'm not really following your point... how exactly does holding all three disciplines at the same events head down that road?  If anything I would think splitting them up could lead to significantly more issues.  
If they split them up, no one would show for Greco or the female freestyle. Friends and family would show, but the average American wrestling fan shows very little interest in either style.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, cjc007 said:

If they split them up, no one would show for Greco or the female freestyle. Friends and family would show, but the average American wrestling fan shows very little interest in either style.

Agreed. And women's freestyle in particular is extremely important to the sustainability of the sport in general. I think the way Final X was scheduled, with men's freestyle in the evening and the other styles in the morning, is fine. For those who are only interested in men's freestyle, you can attend the second session which is a self-contained event of its own. You still have to pay for the tickets which are priced for all events. Even though I won't make the morning session, I'm more than happy to pay for the entire event and just attend the evening session. Even with Dake and DT out, I cannot wait to go to Rutgers this weekend.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Agreed. And women's freestyle in particular is extremely important to the sustainability of the sport in general. I think the way Final X was scheduled, with men's freestyle in the evening and the other styles in the morning, is fine. For those who are only interested in men's freestyle, you can attend the second session which is a self-contained event of its own. You still have to pay for the tickets which are priced for all events. Even though I won't make the morning session, I'm more than happy to pay for the entire event and just attend the evening session. Even with Dake and DT out, I cannot wait to go to Rutgers this weekend.
I'm looking forward to it as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is what it comes to, happily paying for unused women’s tickets?  We need to bankroll women’s freestyle to insure we keep a few men’s weights in the Olympics.