LHU125

#NCAAforFreestyle?

I know this will certainly stir the pot however it needs to be brought up.

With the great news of Women's Wrestling's emergence in the NCAA and a solid number of programs being announced, how is this going to impact Folkstyle in the long run?

We already have high profile athletes like Yianni Diakomihalis advocating for the NCAA transition to freestyle. Women's wrestling is the future of the sport so I am interested to see if Folk sticks around. Obviously, there are a ton of hypothetical/scenarios but should folk stay?    

Edited by LHU125

9 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

I know this will certainly stir the pot however it needs to be brought up.

With the great news of Women's Wrestling's emergence in the NCAA and a solid number of programs being announced, how is this going to impact Folkstyle in the long run?

We already have high profile athletes like Yianni Diakomihalis advocating for the NCAA transition to freestyle. Women's wrestling is the future of the sport so I am interested to see if Folk sticks around. Obviously, there are a ton of hypothetical/scenarios but should folk stay?    

Lack of referees would keep us from changing to freestyle.Some states wrestle freestyle state with 2 referees and it's a mess.

3 hours ago, justafan said:

Lack of referees would keep us from changing to freestyle.Some states wrestle freestyle state with 2 referees and it's a mess.

I can't say folkstyle referees are any better.

Folkstyle is much more popular than freestyle in the US.  Just look at attendance at NCAAs & many dual meet/college tournaments vs. freestyle competitions.  Even the World Championships in Vegas in 2015 didn't draw like the NCAA or Big 10 tournaments do.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Novak said:

Uniform choice for women's wrestling is the key to any long term success.

What, the skimpier the better? I mean it works for beach volleyball. 

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Folkstyle is much more popular than freestyle in the US.  Just look at attendance at NCAAs & many dual meet/college tournaments vs. freestyle competitions.  Even the World Championships in Vegas in 2015 didn't draw like the NCAA or Big 10 tournaments do.

Only because it is attached to colleges.

Freestyle is more entertaining. 

11 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Well this topic went about the way I expected it to...

Unwritten internet rule #1. All threads can devolve at any point to........

I don't want o get banned so you know where that goes. 

5 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Unwritten internet rule #1. All threads can devolve at any point to........

I don't want o get banned so you know where that goes. 

Yes I have seen it many times lol. 

This is a classic "conservative" vs. "progressive" argument.  Those in favor of folk in college want to "conserve" the tradition and the uniqueness of this USA-only concoction, while those advocating for Freestyle want to "progress" towards what the rest of the world is doing, due to whatever reason(s) they cite.  Fascinating...

Freestyle was originally an American product.  That's why the USA won every single freestyle medal in 1904.

But since 1904, freestyle and folkstyle evolved along different paths.  Freestyle evolved under international leadership, while folkstyle evolved under national leadership.  Today I think freestyle has a much better product. 

I'd love to see the NCAA start making rule changes so that folkstyle benefits from the successful experiments in freestyle.  I see no reason, for example, that folkstyle can't have a step out rule.

Man do I EVER disagree with freestyle being a better product, let alone much better.  All it really is, is a takedown contest with a little bit of sumo thrown in.  Unless you want to count leg laces and trap arm guts, usually right off takedowns, as mat wrestling.  If you don't score quickly an almost arbitrary decision is made to put someone on the clock.  If they continue to not score, again, an almost arbitrary decision is made to put someone on the clock and it usually ends up being the other guy.  And guess what?  The other guy would win if the score ends up 1-1 to because neither scored when they were on the shot clock.

Don't forget how convoluted tie-breakers can get.  Score ends 6-6? Yep there is still a winner.  But, did he score last?  Or did he score the only 2 point move? 4 point move?  Oh wait, was he cautioned?

If you want wrestling to be the most simplistic it can be from a scoring perspective, I somewhat get why you follow freestyle.  But, I don't want the actual wrestling to be as simple to view as it can be.  I don't like the, "You took me down so I will quickly lay flat until I quickly get my chance to take you down!" philosophy.  To me,  Wrestling has always been about CONTROLLING your opponent.  Without Folkstyle mat wrestling, I just don't see how that is done...................

NCAA can't really go to Freestyle.

Freestyle's rules are determined by UWW.  The NCAA would lose control over their rules if they simply adopted whatever UWW decided would be the rules that month.  And if the NCAA wanted to standardize Freestyle rules (which many in the United States would love) it wouldn't compel UWW to adhere to the rules which would just end up with two very different Freestyle forms of wrestling.

The wrestling community, in the United States, is a folkstyle community.  It would be rare to find an American who has wrestled Freestyle but not Folkstyle.  But you can find millions who have wrestled Folkstyle and never wrestled Freestyle.  It just happens that the top athletes in Folkstyle are also involved with Freestyle.

Changing college wrestling to Freestyle would be a major structural change.  And I doubt you would get buy-in from high school and youth programs where most of the coaches and parents have little to no experience in Freestyle.  And if the feeder programs aren't changed, it would have a major impact on college wrestling.  I would venture to guess there would be many programs eliminated simply due to a lack of coaching and lack of ability to recruit and retain wrestlers with Freestyle experience (though the D1 programs would remain).

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Man do I EVER disagree with freestyle being a better product, let alone much better.  All it really is, is a takedown contest with a little bit of sumo thrown in.  Unless you want to count leg laces and trap arm guts, usually right off takedowns, as mat wrestling.  If you don't score quickly an almost arbitrary decision is made to put someone on the clock.  If they continue to not score, again, an almost arbitrary decision is made to put someone on the clock and it usually ends up being the other guy.  And guess what?  The other guy would win if the score ends up 1-1 to because neither scored when they were on the shot clock.

Don't forget how convoluted tie-breakers can get.  Score ends 6-6? Yep there is still a winner.  But, did he score last?  Or did he score the only 2 point move? 4 point move?  Oh wait, was he cautioned?

If you want wrestling to be the most simplistic it can be from a scoring perspective, I somewhat get why you follow freestyle.  But, I don't want the actual wrestling to be as simple to view as it can be.  I don't like the, "You took me down so I will quickly lay flat until I quickly get my chance to take you down!" philosophy.  To me,  Wrestling has always been about CONTROLLING your opponent.  Without Folkstyle mat wrestling, I just don't see how that is done...................

What exactly is your objection to the step-out rule?

IMO, the rule has proven to be a great reform for freestyle.

The rule has been effective at keeping the clock going.  The rule encourages action.  Further, I have not seen a match devolve into a sumo competition. 

I really don’t understand the resistance to the step-out rule.