wrestlingnerd

Dake officially injured, delay in Final X wrestle-off

If he can’t go this year he’s gonna have one hell of a layoff between his last competition (Worlds in October 2018) and next year’s trials. I’m not what usually happens in an Olympic year but I doubt the coaches will want him going to the Yarigan next year and giving the Russians that much more (real time) tape on him. 

Not at all a surprise given the chatter that's been out there.

The "freak accident" thing is a little curious though.  I guess that means he injured himself outside of any sort of training (e.g. falling in the shower, slipping a disc while shoveling the driveway, being bit by a snake, etc.)? 

Max Dean tweeted the other day he was going live with Dake and Dake was tossing him around, which makes me think that Dake is already recovering and doing well.  He's probably just not in top form yet, and I don't blame him for wanting to make sure he's 100% healthy before wrestling Ringer.  

25 minutes ago, Glane18 said:

Max Dean tweeted the other day he was going live with Dake and Dake was tossing him around, which makes me think that Dake is already recovering and doing well.  He's probably just not in top form yet, and I don't blame him for wanting to make sure he's 100% healthy before wrestling Ringer.  

A cynic might be able to come up with a few other reasons for that tweet... hopefully you're right though. 

2 hours ago, Glane18 said:

Gabe, not Max. 

I hope Dake wants more time to get in shape and prepare and that it’s not the alternative, wishful thinking about a serious unhealed injury. At this point, there’s no gamesmanship in saying he wants a delayed wrestle-off only to pull out last minute. You could argue why DT might’ve done that, as some have, but in Dake’s case, the Final X finalists have already been decided. 

This is brilliant if it's a tactic to get Ringer at off peak schedule. 
Its 100% fake news... I knew he would play this card but I dont know. Just how its unfolded feels more like a tactic than a necessity. Its always something with this dude.
If it's that bad you get this sh*t ironed out when you get your "rehab schedule"... I dont like it. I feel there should be a pre-WTT deadline to announce delays. If you want to change it up after you know your opponent....sorry youre disqualified.

The surgery and injury is fake news?
Maybe it's always something with the dude because it IS always something. He's had, what, four surgeries now in as many years and half a dozen injuries that have kept him from competition?
No the injury is not fake news but as I was saying I dont like the delayed request. The timing is what bothers me. Either youre fit to compete by WTT or you're not. If not tell the public and your opponent of the reschedule date then. This Micky Mouse week of crap is dumb.

You seem to have an issue with Dake because he didn't immediately announce that he would need more time. In what high-stakes competitive field in life should you expect a competitor to do something that is in his competitors' best interest and against his own best interest? He, and DT too, are following the rules. Holding resentment towards either for being competitive while following the rules is ridiculous. This is not on Dake or DT for that matter. Announcing they're either out or want more time well within the time frame allowed for by the rules is not dishonest or underhanded in any way whatsoever.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

No the injury is not fake news but as I was saying I dont like the delayed request. The timing is what bothers me. Either youre fit to compete by WTT or you're not. If not tell the public and your opponent of the reschedule date then. This Micky Mouse week of crap is dumb.
It's not this is an unprecedented ruling.

Remember when Marabel got injured at weigh ins?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You seem to have an issue with Dake because he didn't immediately announce that he would need more time. In what high-stakes competitive field in life should you expect a competitor to do something that is in his competitors' best interest and against his own best interest? He, and DT too, are following the rules. Holding resentment towards either for being competitive while following the rules is ridiculous. This is not on Dake or DT for that matter. Announcing they're either out or want more time well within the time frame allowed for by the rules is not dishonest or underhanded in any way whatsoever.
Well put.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, tbert said:

Whats he got?  A hangnail? We need to seriously redo this criteria of giving a free pass all the way to the end.  It is BS. 

Should be survival of the fittest.

I would maybe agree with this if it was a pattern for an individual.  For me personally, I give both DT and Dake a pass.  Both of those guys have paid their dues.  Two world champions their first time out who had the unique, unusual, and unfortunate situation for a USA wrestler having to sit behind JB and eventually Cox (another Olympic medalist and world champ for what about 4 years, and at least one if not both might still be sitting had they not added and adjusted weights.  Both have been on the receiving end.  So I can give them a pass.  Ringer will get his shot, if not this year or next, soon.  I think Dake, JB, and Cox all hang it up after this cycle. 

So as stated I would be inclined to agree but I give these two a pass on this go round.  They have earned it in my opinion. 

0% claiming its dishonest or against the rules.

100% feel the rules should be changed to where you have until WTT to announce, so the challenger has an adequate view of what to expect.

Spin it as Dake hatred. If you must, but it's not.

1 minute ago, scramble said:

I would maybe agree with this if it was a pattern for an individual.  For me personally, I give both DT and Dake a pass.  Both of those guys have paid their dues.  Two world champions their first time out who had the unique, unusual, and unfortunate situation for a USA wrestler having to sit behind JB and eventually Cox (another Olympic medalist and world champ for what about 4 years, and at least one if not both might still be sitting had they not added and adjusted weights.  Both have been on the receiving end.  So I can give them a pass.  Ringer will get his shot, if not this year or next, soon.  I think Dake, JB, and Cox all hang it up after this cycle. 

So as stated I would be inclined to agree but I give these two a pass on this go round.  They have earned it in my opinion. 

Going by the USAW rules, I guess you are correct.  Its not Dake or Taylors fault, they just took advantage of the rules.  It was my mistake for misinterpreting the rules.  I thought it was meant to be a sort of an incentive based on high performance rather than an excuse to use if you were injured.    Regardless, maybe Ringer was notified that this was a possibility, after all "the fortunate son" seemed to know about it when he tweeted about their hair.

I can’t help but think this has a lot to do with all the mileage we put on our wrestlers growing up. He’s wrestled 1,000s of folkstyle matches and that wears on you. I am not anti-folkstyle like a lot of people but we need to tone it back for sure.