JBluegill133

What makes Mark Hall so good?

This is not meant as a slight towards Mark in the least bit.  He is an incredible athlete and one of the most dominant wrestlers in freestyle and folkstyle I have ever seen.  I am a huge fan.  But sometimes I watch his matches (currently watching his semifinals against becker at WTT) and I can't see how he is able to win so much....Is it his defense?  His ability to stay in good position and frustrate his opponents into making mistakes?  His match tactics and ability to turn it on when he needs to?  What?  

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

This is not meant as a slight towards Mark in the least bit.  He is an incredible athlete and one of the most dominant wrestlers in freestyle and folkstyle I have ever seen.  I am a huge fan.  But sometimes I watch his matches (currently watching his semifinals against becker at WTT) and I can't see how he is able to win so much....Is it his defense?  His ability to stay in good position and frustrate his opponents into making mistakes?  His match tactics and ability to turn it on when he needs to?  What?  

Kid has mad hips and incredible mat awareness. Zahid just has the perfect offensive repertoire to finish on Hall before Hall can stymie him and transition to his own takedown. 

Also, that matchup hinges upon Zahid’s gas tank. Early/mid season favors Hall as he seems to always be “gas tank full”. 

I kept thinking Amine was going to get him and he might next year, but Hall is just a bit better on his feet and their mat wrestling is about equal. 

174 has been a great clear top 4/5 over the past 3 years and Kemerer should be the 4th to keep that going this season.  This is definitely one of maybe three(133 and 165) weights I really look forward to watching both semis. 

Sadly, we may not get that matchup if Zahid goes to 184.....

1 minute ago, hammerlockthree said:

Gill is exactly right to ask.

He has great defense, can throw, and can stall on top to get his point.

So if you are wrestling him you are in the awful situation of being unable to shoot, tie up, or wait. He can't get his own TD though....

If they can’t take you down or ride you they can’t beat you without the ref getting involved. It may not always be pretty to watch, but his defense and counter offense is elite. 

most are getting it right.  He wrestles like he has multiple brains controlling different parts of his body. I cannot recall anyone with more mat sense that Markie, and I've been watching wrestling for 60 years.

It's uncanny how he can seem to be in an untenable situation when he moves a knee or subtly shifts his weight and suddenly he's on top! It's inspiring to watch.  

People used to say it was his defense and counter-wrestling, and his ability to outscramble just about anyone. I think Yianni is probably the current gold standard for that now, but Mark Hall is up there. He doesn't seem to get taken down or put into dangerous situations very often. 

1 hour ago, pamela said:

People used to say it was his defense and counter-wrestling, and his ability to outscramble just about anyone. I think Yianni is probably the current gold standard for that now, but Mark Hall is up there. He doesn't seem to get taken down or put into dangerous situations very often. 

He gets taken down less than Yianni, which is pretty crazy. If Hall can turn on his offense likely Yianni has started to do, he will start winning world team spots. Obviously he wants to be more offensive and is working on it, but man I really think he has it in him to be a world champ. I kind of hope he redshirts this year and focuses on freestyle

I think Yianni and Hall are different beasts. Yianni has generated his own offense and scored with it very consistently at every level. Even against the world #1 ranked guy. Hall has two modes: I’m much better than you so I’m going to turn my offense on, and I’m not sure, so you shoot. This is not a knock on Hall. I think he’s very talented and plays to his strengths. But the Yianni comparison is inaccurate other than in reference to their scrambling ability. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Outside of all the other nice compliments already given re: his physical tools, to me his greatest strength is that he's adept in virtually every position imaginable. Very rarely, if ever, do you see Mark unclear of how to wrestle through a position, whether beginning from a favorable position or not.  That's no doubt a testament to his willingness to put himself into those positions countless times before.  

Could it be that we have been treated to offensive juggarnauts like Nolf and Zahid that it makes a more sedentary wrestling approach like Hall's seem....for lack of a better word, lesser?  I mean its cool either way.  I love the differences in style and I can only think younger wrestlers who look up to these guys can see that there isnt one clear path to success...

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

Could it be that we have been treated to offensive juggarnauts like Nolf and Zahid that it makes a more sedentary wrestling approach like Hall's seem....for lack of a better word, lesser?  I mean its cool either way.  I love the differences in style and I can only think younger wrestlers who look up to these guys can see that there isnt one clear path to success...

Hall is closer to Dake than Nolf, style-wise.

21 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Not fiction. It just might. He may have nearly 10% of his weight in his head.

His head is so big in proportion to his body, it isn't that his hips are so great, it's just that for most guys at 174, you have to shoot a low single or ankle pick just to get to a high crotch.

I've seen him wrestle since 7th grade when he took Minnesota high school wrestling by storm.  Just incredible balance and that internal gyroscope that allows him to keep his hips down and head up no matter what kind of attack his opponent brings.  His parents also gave him every opportunity to succeed by bring him to every competition and training opportunity available.