Jimmy Cinnabon

Does Zain have a shot against Yianni?

The problem for Zain is his biggest strength as a wrestler is his folkstyle ability from top, which is pretty close to useless in free.  And Yianni's biggest strength (defense and scrambling) is extremely useful in free.

It's just a bad matchup for Zain whose brute strength and riding dominance are neutralized by Yianni's length and funk.  In folkstyle I think Zain crushes Yianni but Yianni owns him in free.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

Zain has a chance, but he is more "Metcalf" than I like from neutral. Straight forward, grind you out if he can. Not very creative, etc etc...

I like Yianni's chances more vs elite competition so I hope he wins.
But the gap isn't anymore than a take-down if there is any. It's a toss.

It's like Zain is 50/50 with the top 20 guys in the world. He will be defensive, stable, and beat 10 and lose to 10 who knows which ones.
I feel like Yainni is 70/30 with the top 10. Where he wins more often than he loses to the toughest opponents.
Here's hoping it doesn't land on Heads 2x out of 3 for ZainTrain

Edited by spladle08

36 minutes ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Yianni won on a scramble with a few seconds left in the match where he almost exposed himself, if anybody watched the open match and says Zain doesn’t have a chance doesn’t know what they are talking about. 

Do you think that Zain will have improved in the seven-plus weeks since the US Open?  Not just against Yianni, but in general?

Do you think that Yianni will have improved over that time, considering that the US Open was his first freestyle tournament in nearly two years and had just completed his second straight folkstyle season about a month earlier?

Will the differences in their skill level have increased, decreased, or stayed roughly the same?

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The problem for Zain is his biggest strength as a wrestler is his folkstyle ability from top, which is pretty close to useless in free.  And Yianni's biggest strength (defense and scrambling) is extremely useful in free.

It's just a bad matchup for Zain whose brute strength and riding dominance are neutralized by Yianni's length and funk.  In folkstyle I think Zain crushes Yianni but Yianni owns him in free.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. 

I am in the camp that Yianni is going to win. Even though the last match with Zain was pretty close in addition to what everyone else said, Yianni had to win a brutal set of matches just to get to the finals. Even though he beat JO and Molinaro with ease they weren’t easy matches. Zain cakewalked to the finals. This time around Yianni will be fresh. He will have been training non-stop in freestyle, so I think Yianni widens the gap. The only caveat I can think of is if Zain had some issue we didn’t hear about. 

3 hours ago, klehner said:

Do you think that Zain will have improved in the seven-plus weeks since the US Open?  Not just against Yianni, but in general?

Do you think that Yianni will have improved over that time, considering that the US Open was his first freestyle tournament in nearly two years and had just completed his second straight folkstyle season about a month earlier?

Will the differences in their skill level have increased, decreased, or stayed roughly the same?

Yes of course, I think both will improve and have fresh game plans going in.  I’m not saying Zain will win but to say the outcome is already decided like Gadson Snyder is just crazy. 

7 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Yianni has elevated his game this season.  Zain is a stud but Yianni's length and funky scrambling ability are world class.

I predict Yianni in 2.  Anyone think Zain can win a match or even 2?

Did you attend University to get to this level of thought or was it Home Study watching 3 stooges marathons?

6 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Yianni won on a scramble with a few seconds left in the match where he almost exposed himself, if anybody watched the open match and says Zain doesn’t have a chance doesn’t know what they are talking about. 

I'm very wary of those that expose themselves.  #notmetoo  

Well if Zain can use his double leg, it may prevent Yianni from fully utilizing his scrambling ability. If Zain can neutralize Yianni's scrambles then I think he has a very real chance of winning.