spladle08

Downey Making Weight...

*Not even a Downey fan... never liked the guy, and maybe this move by USA Wrestling is a move to rally support behind him or something (I doubt they are that crafty) but....
Making him cut for no reason at final X is the most laughable thing...

He's got the spot. He doesn't need to actually weigh-in for fairness of competition.
If he doesn't make weight what are we going to do, leave the spot empty?
Roll the obviously lesser Heflin out there.

Damn you governing body.... work better.

I wonder if Taylor will be required to make weight in order to be a national team member and receive benefits such as stipend, insurance, training, etc. It does seem fair that if Downey is required to make weight to be a member of the national team then Taylor should also be required to do so*

For the record I don't feel that either should have to weigh-in given the circumstances

*hot take

I think the rules say something like if the incumbent doesn't make weight/show up, the WTT winner is automatically the the Rep.
However I think our governing body for whatever reason is making him make weight, it's just odd.

Edited by spladle08

Don't see the big deal of having him make the weight he is going to be competing at... But I don't even necessarily think Hefflin is "obviously lesser" than Downey. Downey is clearly a bad matchup for Hefflin personally. But against common opponents Hefflin has outperformed Downey. Matchups/styles are very important. 

Don't see the big deal of having him make the weight he is going to be competing at... But I don't even necessarily think Hefflin is "obviously lesser" than Downey. Downey is clearly a bad matchup for Hefflin personally. But against common opponents Hefflin has outperformed Downey. Matchups/styles are very important. 
I guess the big deal is simply there is no reason for him to make weight. And yeah I mean if it was a fluke win or it was very close I'd understand but Downey got him 3x in a row, that's enough for me.

Just now, spladle08 said:
2 minutes ago, jsmalls131313 said:

I guess the big deal is simply there is no reason for him to make weight. And yeah I mean if it was a fluke win or it was very close I'd understand but Downey got him 3x in a row, that's enough for me.

Everyone else that will be a world team member will have made weight for final X. Just b/c Downey was gifted a bye doesn't mean he shouldn't have to make weight. I am fine with it. 

And Downey could beat him 10x in a row. If he loses to multiple guys Hefflin beat that would point more towards Downey being a bad stylistic matchup for Hefflin more than him being the better overall wrestler. 

Everyone else that will be a world team member will have made weight for final X. Just b/c Downey was gifted a bye doesn't mean he shouldn't have to make weight. I am fine with it. 
And Downey could beat him 10x in a row. If he loses to multiple guys Hefflin beat that would point more towards Downey being a bad stylistic matchup for Hefflin more than him being the better overall wrestler. 
He did win the Open and WTT.... and again the rules say if the incumbent doesnt show up for the Final X the WTT champ is automatically the guy.

And

Of course the other guys have to make weight, it's what happens before a contested match, to level the playing field.
Since he isnt participating in a match, and already has the spot... why make weight?

Its obvi no biggie to him but its odd

1 minute ago, spladle08 said:

He did win the Open and WTT.... and again the rules say if the incumbent doesnt show up for the Final X the WTT champ is automatically the guy.

And

Of course the other guys have to make weight, it's what happens before a contested match, to level the playing field.
Since he isnt participating in a match, and already has the spot... why make weight?

Its obvi no biggie to him but its odd

Shouldn't be a biggie to anyone. If you are going to compete for us at that weight you should be able to make it when requested. 

It’s unnecessary but is this really worth complaining about? It’s 3 months out from worlds. 
Meh, since its no biggie to him, it's no biggie. Just odd... and we have a lot of dead space to fill. I can only argue Cox/Nickal or Zain/Yainni so much.. needed some variety.

I hope there is a grand entrance including pyrotechnics and they place the scale center mat. Make Downey step on for the regularly scheduled match. He makes it match 1, has too much water and misses round 2, who takes the final match for the national team spot?!?! My pick is Downey over the scale for all the marbles!!!

Edited by bnwtwg

1 hour ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Lol....a bad match-up. Their styles are IDENTICAL. Only Downey is stronger, tougher, quicker, more athletic, and a better wrestler. Stop making excuses for Heflin. It's very annoying.

1 hour ago, jsmalls131313 said:

wait, you mean those other guys gifted a bye to final x had to make weight while not wrestling at WTT and US open? 

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I wonder if Taylor will be required to make weight in order to be a national team member and receive benefits such as stipend, insurance, training, etc. It does seem fair that if Downey is required to make weight to be a member of the national team then Taylor should also be required to do so*

For the record I don't feel that either should have to weigh-in given the circumstances

hot take

This is a really good point.  That is completely unfair if Taylor gets the benefits without weighing in if they are going to make Downey do it.

Edited by olddirty

2 hours ago, jsmalls131313 said:

Maybe, but there is something to be said for guys who are firing on all cylinders at a given point in time.  And Downey seems to be.  Kind of like Colon last year.  Colon is hit and miss but he picked the right time to consistently perform at a very high level, and it earned him a medal. Whether a fan of Downey or not (I am indifferent on him) he is wrestling very well and beat several guys who may be better over an average extended period of time.  Right now though for this moment in time he seems to be better than all of them.  That is the know of momentum that gets a person a medal.  I don't think Helflin has that.  Just my opinion

6 hours ago, jsmalls131313 said:

What common opponents do they have that Heflin has performed better against?