Jump to content
spladle08

Downey Making Weight...

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:
3 hours ago, nhs67 said:
Is Cox getting a waiver this year to wrestle for Canada or something?
How does he medal?

Yall BoNuts are gonna vanish so quick. I hope somebody is petty enough to quote all these posts after the fact. :)

Do it. Quote me.

I'll still troll TF out of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'm not one to tell people they were wrong after the fact... I do it before.
#WarCox

Hahahaha

To be fair, I have gone on record stating that I believe Cox will win.

I have also gone on record stating I believe he wins the 97kg spot next year.

I have also gone on record that my stating him pinning Sad/Snyder/Cox is me purely trolling all y'all nubs.

As much as I want to believe he can use his flashy style in seniors he is undersized at 92 and 97 and I fully believe Taylor big brothers him regardless of whatever bond they have formed as far as mentor/protege.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is essentially receiving a forfeit. And you have to have made weight to receive a forfeit, correct?  For those saying shouldn’t Taylor have to make weight for his #2 spot on the national team?  So....what about the #3 guys?  Are we making them make weight too??  I’ve never heard anyone crying over the #3 guy having to make weight at Final X last year to solidify their spot. Then again, just like I never heard any crying over Colon should have to go up against a special wrestle off against guys that didn’t win other weights when Nashon went down. But no, it’s not about the individual we are talking about. Not at all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbert said:

Rubber match??   Dont you have to win at least one first?

I’m counting DT’s hypothetical wins.

i will note that this would be a great freestyle match now.  BTS maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sstern said:

I’m counting DT’s hypothetical wins.

i will note that this would be a great freestyle match now.  BTS maybe?

Maybe he can go for the best out of 15, of course he would have to win 8 straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sstern said:

I’m counting DT’s hypothetical wins.

i will note that this would be a great freestyle match now.  BTS maybe?

Unless Grapple in the Garden is scheduled for after Worlds/Olympics from now on, I'd be a little surprised to see Taylor go at any more than 50% tops at BTS, much less show up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, no one has been able to answer the hypothetical: "What happens if Downey doesn't make weight?"
I really don't care one way or another, but just find the whole process a bit odd.
Yeah sorry I had typed it early. The rule says if the incumbent doesnt show or make weight the spot automatically goes to the WTT Champ.... so I would assume as long as DT doesnt weigh in, its decided in Downeys favor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not much of a mystery really.  He would just go back to completing his degree at Princeton and then move on to taking a high paying job on Wall Street.
Living the street life gettin no respect from anyone. Doesnt even know where his next meal is coming from (because he has so many choices!!!!)

Lol I hope he medals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lurker said:

It is essentially receiving a forfeit. And you have to have made weight to receive a forfeit, correct?  For those saying shouldn’t Taylor have to make weight for his #2 spot on the national team?  So....what about the #3 guys?  Are we making them make weight too??  I’ve never heard anyone crying over the #3 guy having to make weight at Final X last year to solidify their spot. Then again, just like I never heard any crying over Colon should have to go up against a special wrestle off against guys that didn’t win other weights when Nashon went down. But no, it’s not about the individual we are talking about. Not at all...

The #3 guy, Heflin, is done and his #3 spot is solidified.  Final X is reserved for two guys, not three.  Why in the world would Heflin weigh-in?   Personally, I don't think Taylor or Downey should have to weigh-in, but it will be no big deal for Downey.  In fact, it will be worth it to see him get his hand raised in a singlet and making his first World Team. No big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, pamela said:

Unless Grapple in the Garden is scheduled for after Worlds/Olympics from now on, I'd be a little surprised to see Taylor go at any more than 50% tops at BTS, much less show up. 

Personally, I believe Taylor going only at 50% at BTS is what may have caused his injury. Never a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blue Dragons said:

The #3 guy, Heflin, is done and his #3 spot is solidified.  Final X is reserved for two guys, not three.  Why in the world would Heflin weigh-in?   Personally, I don't think Taylor or Downey should have to weigh-in, but it will be no big deal for Downey.  In fact, it will be worth it to see him get his hand raised in a singlet and making his first World Team. No big deal. 

That’s my point. For Those who are saying Taylor should have to weigh in to solidify his national team spot. It is already solidified. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lurker said:

That’s my point. For Those who are saying Taylor should have to weigh in to solidify his national team spot. It is already solidified. 

I believe the ONLY reason some are saying that Taylor should have to weigh-in is that Downey is being forced to weigh-in.  Unlike Heflin, they ARE the two guys penciled-in for Final X. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blue Dragons said:

The #3 guy, Heflin, is done and his #3 spot is solidified.  Final X is reserved for two guys, not three.  Why in the world would Heflin weigh-in?   Personally, I don't think Taylor or Downey should have to weigh-in, but it will be no big deal for Downey.  In fact, it will be worth it to see him get his hand raised in a singlet and making his first World Team. No big deal. 

I would be a proud Dad also, congrats to you and your son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 6:37 PM, DanGerMan said:

Downey is collecting a forfeit at Final X. To win by forfeit, you make weight and appear at the mat in uniform to get your hand raised. Why is this an issue?

 

Because:

1. It isn't a dual meet where a forfeit benefits on side of the competition

2. It is stupid

3. Potentially a detriment to the athlete that is representing the US, which is the goal of the competition: determine the rep.  Since that has been done, see #2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, tbert said:

What if he doesnt weigh in, then what?

I don't know how else they could justify letting Bo challenge him...I kid, I kid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be pulling for Pat as hard as any of the others.  In fact, a guy like him has a chance to be a hero and medal on this team when it is in the hunt for a title...that's good stuff!  DT points are a big loss, but every coach on this board knows, a lot of your best victories are when you had to dig deep from a set back.  I like having a ballsy guy step in.  I know you can love him or hate him, but if he pulls off the right victory in Sept, it could be huge for our team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LordNelson said:

Because:

1. It isn't a dual meet where a forfeit benefits on side of the competition

2. It is stupid

3. Potentially a detriment to the athlete that is representing the US, which is the goal of the competition: determine the rep.  Since that has been done, see #2

1 - How about looking at it as a medical forfeit? Thanks for pointing out that this isn't a dual meet.

2- Although you give a well thought out sentence, it is only an opinion.

3 - Not as eloquent as 2. It is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...