Jimmy Cinnabon

What is the best body type for wrestling?

1. Long and lean, (e.g. Matt McDonough, Ben Darmstadt, Quentin Wright)

2. Compact and musclebound (e.g. Frank Molinaro, Zain Retherford, NATO, Kyle Snyder)

3. Jacked (e.g. Matt Brown, Mekhi Lewis, Alex Dieringer, Myles Martin)

4. Dad bod/chunky (e.g. Sam Stoll, Deuce Rachal, Vincenzo Joseph, Ben Askren)

5. Athletic but with no visible muscle definition (e.g. Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal, David Taylor, Cael)

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

1 minute ago, wildcatfan1992 said:

The fact that you named national champs at each body type, that should tell you that there isn't a "best" body type.

But the distribution of champ isn't equal between the 5 categories.  For instance, I would bet there are fewer dad bod champs than jacked champs.

There aren't many heavyweights that are "jacked", which is where you are most likely to find the supposed dad bod.  So the vast majority of heavys will be of the dad bod variety.  Cassar and White were the exceptions to that rule this year.  Guys like Coon, Konrad, Mocco, etc are historically your typical heavyweight champs.  But that may be changing with guys like Snyder, Cassar, Gable, Parris, Kerk, etc.

Edited by wildcatfan1992

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I'd move Matt Brown to category 2. I'd also put Dieringer and Joseph in the same category and it wouldn't be "jacked". More like strong but not lean.

I disagree about Dieringer and Joseph being in the same category.  Dierginer has always been shredded.  Joseph is solid but I don't think I've seen any definition on him, ever.

Just now, MDogg said:

Long arms is the single biggest advantage when it comes to how someone is built for wrestling. Every other type of build has its advantages and disadvantages.

Best examples: Yianni, Ed Ruth, Burroughs...who else had freaky long arms?

15 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Long arms is the single biggest advantage when it comes to how someone is built for wrestling. Every other type of build has its advantages and disadvantages.

This is correct. 

23 minutes ago, MDogg said:

Dog, is there a reason, other than the obvious one of being able to reach legs from a further distance, that I am missing or is just getting to someone's legs that important?

48 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

2. Compact and musclebound (e.g. Frank Molinaro, Zain Retherford, NATO, Kyle Snyder)

5. Athletic but with no visible muscle definition (e.g. Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal, David Taylor, Cael)

Only 9 PSU guys come to mind?

2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Dog, is there a reason, other than the obvious one of being able to reach legs from a further distance, that I am missing or is just getting to someone's legs that important?

Just as advantageous for defense in neutral, keeps opponent further from you and long arms makes it easier to defend lower shots. Also big advantage on top in folk (think tilts and cradles).

Just look at how far JB keeps his opponents from his legs with all his head pushing. It’s virtually impossible to get to his legs from space. I’ve never seen anyone take advantage of their build as well as JB does. Cael being a close second.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

What were you daydreaming about before you posted this topic?

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I have never heard someone say Zain had long arms. Trolling?

No...I’ve always thought he had long arms. Maybe not “freak” status like Yianni or JB but always thought it was noticeable. I don’t have wingspan data for him or anyone else so obviously just based on my eyeballs. 

49 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Can't finish if you can't get to their legs so...

43 minutes ago, LHU125 said:

Can't finish if you can't get to their legs so...

As I said that was obvious but I was just wondering if there were other reasons that make it that important. I agree that I think it is.

Edited by ConnorsDad
Change

42 minutes ago, pamela said:

Who has the best hips? Cenzo, Marinelli, IMart, Dake?

Dake > Marinelli > Cenzo > IMar

Back 3rd of that is pretty easy.  Marinelli has thrown Cenzo to his back multiple times, Cenzo has done the same to IMar.

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon