Jimmy Cinnabon

What is the best body type for wrestling?

3 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

1. Long and lean, (e.g. Matt McDonough, Ben Darmstadt, Quentin Wright)

2. Compact and musclebound (e.g. Frank Molinaro, Zain Retherford, NATO, Kyle Snyder)

3. Jacked (e.g. Matt Brown, Mekhi Lewis, Alex Dieringer, Myles Martin)

4. Dad bod/chunky (e.g. Sam Stoll, Deuce Rachal, Vincenzo Joseph, Ben Askren)

5. Athletic but with no visible muscle definition (e.g. Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal, David Taylor, Cael)

The best wrestlers are the ones that develop a style that takes advantage of their body type to optimize skill. Off hand, on the world level you see a burroughs who is quick, explosive, and has long arms. His style is perfectly adapted to work with his body type. Tsargush is long and lean, and you can see how he uses that to his advantage to get takedowns. Yowlys Bonne is short, compact, and powerful and all his moves play to his strengths.  I don't believe Tsargush could be a world champ wrestling like Burroughs, nor Buroughs wrestling like Tsargush. There doesn't seem to be one style or body type that dominates all, but if there was wrestling would be way less entertaining.

13 minutes ago, russelscout said:

The best wrestlers are the ones that develop a style that takes advantage of their body type to optimize skill. Off hand, on the world level you see a burroughs who is quick, explosive, and has long arms. His style is perfectly adapted to work with his body type. Tsargush is long and lean, and you can see how he uses that to his advantage to get takedowns. Yowlys Bonne is short, compact, and powerful and all his moves play to his strengths.  I don't believe Tsargush could be a world champ wrestling like Burroughs, nor Buroughs wrestling like Tsargush. There doesn't seem to be one style or body type that dominates all, but if there was wrestling would be way less entertaining.

Well put.  Different body types have certain positions in which they most benefit.  Dictating those positions while avoiding others is really the key.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Dake > Marinelli > Cenzo > IMar

Back 3rd of that is pretty easy.  Marinelli has thrown Cenzo to his back multiple times, Cenzo has done the same to IMar.

Cenzo is huge, but most likely couldn't beat Nolf for 157 so probably doesn't cut more than 12-15. He will challenge for 70/74kg world team so myeh?

Also, Marinelli is low-man on your list. Dake is a world champion, Imar is currently at a different level due to training, and Cenzo will have 4 finishes better than Marinelli who will most likely be a 0x champ.

Edited by bnwtwg

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Dake > Marinelli > Cenzo > IMar

Back 3rd of that is pretty easy.  Marinelli has thrown Cenzo to his back multiple times, Cenzo has done the same to IMar.

I'm not sure that Cenzo being taken down by Marinelli is the fault of his hips as much as his being out of position or not wrestling smartly. At the same time, his hips have bailed him out of some precarious situations - like we see Cenzo falling backwards with his back arched and somehow he gets his hips and legs out from under him and avoids being taken down or worse. He could stop a locomotive if he sprawled hard enough lol

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Best examples: Yianni, Ed Ruth, Burroughs...who else had freaky long arms?

The Great One ( whom could body lock from 4 feet away)

Edited by BadgerMon

11 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

2. Compact and musclebound (e.g. Frank Molinaro, Zain Retherford, NATO, Kyle Snyder)

5. Athletic but with no visible muscle definition (e.g. Jason Nolf, Bo Nickal, David Taylor, Cael)

Why is a zero time national qualifier on this list with all NCAA champs and All Americans?

Long arms, great hips, and big hands are all great attributes to have as a wrestler.

Obviously you can't carry a whole lot of fat around and be the top of your game, so that rules out the dad types. But other than that I think as long as the wrestler isn't a pathetic weakling that it doesn't matter. Champs come in all shapes and sizes. As for which is best, who can say? The musclebound guys were nothing to me. I don't think I ever lost to one of those guys (I was built like Bo and was a lot stronger than I looked). The guys that gave me the most trouble were the long, lanky guys who were still very strong. One of the guys who beat me like a drum was about 6'2" (this was at 168 pounds!) and that dude could stick me in a cradle anytime he wanted. Which was a lot, lol.

There are all different body types obviously.  Most wrestlers seem to have a longer torso length to leg length ratio for their height than the general population (long torso/shorter legs).  In other words, lower center of gravity, better balance, etc.  Short legs, long arms is a good combo.

Image result for jayson nessImage result for luke pletcher wrestling

Of course there are exceptions, like Evan Wick who has long legs and arms and a more average torso.

Image result for Evan wick wrestling

Edited by MNRodent

1 hour ago, MNRodent said:

There are all different body types obviously.  Most wrestlers seem to have a longer torso length to leg length ratio for their height than the general population (long torso/shorter legs).  In other words, lower center of gravity, better balance, etc.  Short legs, long arms is a good combo.

Good point about the long arms. Comes in pretty handy being able to control the gap between wrestlers, breaking guys down from top,  working cradles and such.  I don't know if I've ever noted a great wrestler with stubby arms before.

Some folks had mentioned previously that one of Dan Gable's most underrated physical gifts was his grip strength. Like his forearms were so strong that he used to crush apples in his hands for fun. I don't know much about it or how advantageous it is, but ppl have commented similarly on how much Austin DeSanto's crazy GI Joe grip creates problems for his opponents (along with his motor).

18 minutes ago, pamela said:

Some folks had mentioned previously that one of Dan Gable's most underrated physical gifts was his grip strength. Like his forearms were so strong that he used to crush apples in his hands for fun. I don't know much about it or how advantageous it is, but ppl have commented similarly on how much Austin DeSanto's crazy GI Joe grip creates problems for his opponents (along with his motor).

You might be confusing Dan Gable for Dan Hodge. I'm sure Danny G has great grip strength but Hodge is the one who is known for crushing apples.

1 minute ago, BTC said:

You might be confusing Dan Gable for Dan Hodge. I'm sure Danny G has great grip strength but Hodge is the one who is known for crushing apples.

Ah yes, you are right - it was Hodge. Sorry about that!

On 6/6/2019 at 10:43 AM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I'm beginning to think this whole thread is an elaborate scheme to throw some shade at Joseph.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, ConnorsDad said:

As I said that was obvious but I was just wondering if there were other reasons that make it that important. I agree that I think it is.

Easier reach on the offense.

Longer head/hands to clear in defense.

Tighter hold while riding in folkstyle or par terre in freestyle.

Cradles are much easier.

Anatomically, long arms usually also means long fingers and long fingers means much better grip (see Johnni Dijulius).

On 6/6/2019 at 3:51 PM, MSU158 said:

Well put.  Different bodyve certain positions in which they most benefit.  Dictating those positions while avoiding others is really the key. types ha

On 6/6/2019 at 3:33 PM, russelscout said:

Quotes are out of order, but they are correct. But I must add is that the guy you hated most to wrestle was the long, lean, strong (sinewy strength), but also extremely flexible. Try doing a firemans on a python. Satiev is built like that; he could do things no one else did, or counter when there was no known counter for a certain situation.

5 hours ago, fullnelson said:

Quotes are out of order, but they are correct. But I must add is that the guy you hated most to wrestle was the long, lean, strong (sinewy strength), but also extremely flexible. Try doing a firemans on a python. Satiev is built like that; he could do things no one else did, or counter when there was no known counter for a certain situation.

Trying to move a short stocky powerful guy or getting a grip on short strong arms is also not easy.