Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Top Freshman 2019/2020

Which freshman starters are you most excited about? Will any win a title?

I think Sasso at 149 is extremely interesting. 

Carr if he goes 157 can win a title at his best. I think he will at some point. 

Trent Hidlay at 184 is going to give people issues. 

Beard if he starts looks to have jumped levels 

Aaron Brooks same story as beard. High bonus potential  I think this kid is going to spearhead the next gen of psu hammers

stanford has 2 guys - Real Woods and Shane Griffith. Both looked amazing during their redshirt year  

ASU might start have 4. Teemer is incredible. Needs to work out a couple glaring issues, but he is extremely talented and developed his own style. Chlebove could smash people. His top game is an X factor. He could go 133 or 141. 

I think Camacho from nc state has potential.

Pat McKee is fun to watch, but has taken a bunch of losses recently

Who else?

I have very high confidence that Cassioppi will AA for Iowa, time will tell how high. I don't think a top 4 or 5 finish is unrealistic. He has the tools to beat most at the weight, but definitely takes risks and sometimes unnecessarily puts himself in precarious situations that cost him a match or two. 

54 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

Which freshman starters are you most excited about? Will any win a title?

I think Sasso at 149 is extremely interesting. 

Carr if he goes 157 can win a title at his best. I think he will at some point. 

Trent Hidlay at 184 is going to give people issues. 

Beard if he starts looks to have jumped levels 

Aaron Brooks same story as beard. High bonus potential  I think this kid is going to spearhead the next gen of psu hammers

stanford has 2 guys - Real Woods and Shane Griffith. Both looked amazing during their redshirt year  

ASU might start have 4. Teemer is incredible. Needs to work out a couple glaring issues, but he is extremely talented and developed his own style. Chlebove could smash people. His top game is an X factor. He could go 133 or 141. 

I think Camacho from nc state has potential.

Pat McKee is fun to watch, but has taken a bunch of losses recently

Who else?

Brayton Lee will be a freshman this year, right? I would add him to your list. 

All of the guys you mentioned are great choices, most of those guys can compete for AA honors right away (probably all except Pat McKee and Chlebove if he wrestles).  We'll see if Brooks and Beard go or not--I'd guess no, but the situation from 184 - heavy for PSU right now isn't clear.  

Some additional guys that could make some noise that haven't been mentioned:

Tanner Sloan -- quietly might have had to most impressive redshirt season of anyone.  Already owns wins over 2 AA's.  Will rep us at Junior Worlds.  He will AA in a shallow weight. 
Brayton Lee -- his pace is going to be a real problem for people.  He'll give up points but if you get lazy, his re-attacks are super clean, and he can go all day.  
Cole Matthews -- really solid kid, had a great RS year, looked a little raw in freestyle but still had some nice wins.  Beat Kanen Storr at U23. 
Gavin Hoffman -- recent freestyle results put a pause on the optimism, but he had a very solid redshirt season.  Could see him being on the AA bubble this year. 
Will Lewan -- holds a win over (an out of form) Pantaleo... he should be ready to step in right away and compete
Travis Wittlake -- not quite the start I would have imagined for him, but he's in a great position to improve. Whether he is 165 or 174, both are crowded at the top. 
Lucas Davison -- another guy that could AA at 197, he has the talent and the credentials.  
Jaden Mattox -- the talent is there, but I think consistency will be an issue, and he's not guaranteed a spot in the lineup

21 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think it is a pretty weak freshmen class, by modern standards

I think it is very promising freshman class - here is a list of some of the best in each weight that I am looking forward to seeing next season.  Some weights are my best guess and some of the true frosh could red shirt or defer (Ivies)

125 Camacho NC St, Colaiocco Penn, Thompsen Neb, P McKee Mn, J Lane Lehigh

133 - Tagg (or Hernandez) No Carl, Chlebove ASU, Trombley NC St, Johnson Mo & Silva Mi if Micic ORS

141 - Kinner Oh St, Wood Stan, Matthews Pitt, Revano Penn

149 Sasso Oh St, B Lee Mn, Hardy Neb, Alirez No Col

157 Lewan Mi, Teemer ASU, Robb Neb, Mattox (or Sasso if he outgrew 149) Oh St, Phillips No Carl

165 - Carr ISU, Griffith Stan, Mocco Mo, D Braunagal Ill, Possibly Karchla Oh St, I hope Cornell brings out Ramirez or Merola steps it up from his grey shirt year

174 - Wittlake OSU, Z Braunagal Ill, Kent Mo

184 - T Hidlay NC St, Hoffman Or R Jordan Oh St, Montavalo OSU, and possibly Brooks PSU depending on Rasheed, 

197 - Sloan So Dkt St, Davison NoWst, Beard PSU depending on Connel, Urbas Penn

Hvywt - Cassioppi Io, Emerson Neb, Luffman Ill, possibly Birchmeier Nav if he goes straight to Annapolis, 

I am looking forward to seeing what these young guys can do.  I am sure that there will be many young studs that I am not aware of that will make some noise.

10 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Yeah I should restate my claim.

No freshmen NCAA champs next year.

Sasso, Carr, and Brooks. I like at least one of them getting it done next year. 

Homer pick, but I think Woods has a decent shot at 141 if both Yianni and Eierman redshirt. 

8 minutes ago, goStanford18 said:

Homer pick, but I think Woods has a decent shot at 141 if both Yianni and Eierman redshirt. 

Where is Brooks winning it?

15 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

You missed a chance to say Woods has a Real shot at 141.

I'll show myself out.

15 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Where is Brooks winning it?

184 only returns Dean and Greer. I think Brooks has the talent to beat both. The only potential issues I foresee are size (Brooks is still wrestling at 79kg) or Zahid bumping up. For all I know, Brooks could be redshirting next year, so he might not even compete. 

If by chance Hall decides to go 184 (I know this sounds crazy lol) or to take a redshirt, I also think Brooks has the talent to win it at 174. 

44 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

That's not that unreasonable.  If Yianni doesn't go for whatever reason, 141 is wide open.  

If it’s that wide open you can bet the farm at least one of the studs at 133 will move up...especially the guys who can’t make 57k and are gonna go 65k at the Olympic trials.

Pack freshmen Camacho and hidlay. Both are possible AA threats. 

I watched Camacho live. Although he wrestled the freshman/ sophomore division at the hokie open, he clearly dominated the field with technique, speed and strength. I heard he gave fausz all he could handle in the room. 

Hilday could be a natty champ threat in a couple years. He is the real deal. I think he easily wins the 74 slot and displaces one of the Bullard boys. 

It pains me to say as a VT fan but NC State is gonna be really tough next year

5 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

184 only returns Dean and Greer. I think Brooks has the talent to beat both. The only potential issues I foresee are size (Brooks is still wrestling at 79kg) or Zahid bumping up. For all I know, Brooks could be redshirting next year, so he might not even compete. 

If by chance Hall decides to go 184 (I know this sounds crazy lol) or to take a redshirt, I also think Brooks has the talent to win it at 174. 

Getting blanked by christenson at 174 doesnt exactly show that he has the talent to beat either dean or geer. He will most likely redshirt

5 hours ago, goStanford18 said:

Brooks isnt beating amine, kemerer, or mcfadden

22 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I think it is very promising freshman class - here is a list of some of the best in each weight that I am looking forward to seeing next season.  Some weights are my best guess and some of the true frosh could red shirt or defer (Ivies)

125 Camacho NC St, Colaiocco Penn, Thompsen Neb, P McKee Mn, J Lane Lehigh

133 - Tagg (or Hernandez) No Carl, Chlebove ASU, Trombley NC St, Johnson Mo & Silva Mi if Micic ORS

141 - Kinner Oh St, Wood Stan, Matthews Pitt, Revano Penn

149 Sasso Oh St, B Lee Mn, Hardy Neb, Alirez No Col

157 Lewan Mi, Teemer ASU, Robb Neb, Mattox (or Sasso if he outgrew 149) Oh St, Phillips No Carl

165 - Carr ISU, Griffith Stan, Mocco Mo, D Braunagal Ill, Possibly Karchla Oh St, I hope Cornell brings out Ramirez or Merola steps it up from his grey shirt year

174 - Wittlake OSU, Z Braunagal Ill, Kent Mo

184 - T Hidlay NC St, Hoffman Or R Jordan Oh St, Montavalo OSU, and possibly Brooks PSU depending on Rasheed, 

197 - Sloan So Dkt St, Davison NoWst, Beard PSU depending on Connel, Urbas Penn

Hvywt - Cassioppi Io, Emerson Neb, Luffman Ill, possibly Birchmeier Nav if he goes straight to Annapolis, 

I am looking forward to seeing what these young guys can do.  I am sure that there will be many young studs that I am not aware of that will make some noise.

lu1979, Is Hardy back from his mission for this season? He was a member of the 2018 class I believe.

2 hours ago, Coachp said:

lu1979, Is Hardy back from his mission for this season? He was a member of the 2018 class I believe.

You are probably right I was not aware Hardy went on a mission. 

It is very easy to say that no freshman will win next year - many of the weights have very strong guys at the top as long as those guys don't ORS.  However when you look at the freshmen who did win NCAA titles over the last 10 years there are not a lot of them who would have started the year as favorites (or even highly likely candidates) to win titles.  That includes M Lewis from last year who entered a weight with the # 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8 guys returning plus other highly thought of guys like Massa, White etc.  Here are the Freshmen Champs over the last 10 years.  Let me know if I overlooked anyone.

19 - M Lewis

18 - S Lee & Yianni D. - both were highly anticipated

17 - M Hall, ViJo  M Hall was not a surprise

16 - MyMar

15 - I Mar, & Nato - neither was expected to win - Nato had Delgado & Garret as returning finalists

14 Tsirstis & Cox  97 had cleared out and Cox was highly anticipated

13 - none

12 - Logan S - He was highly anticipated but had defending champ JO in the way.

11 - none

10 M McD & Dake -  Dake was a big ? as a true freshman and McD had 2 past NCs in the weight. 

I would say of the 13 freshmen who won titles I would say only 4 or 5 were guys who would have been expected to win prior to starting their freshman year.  Lert's give this new crop of guys a chance to see what they can do.  I am looking forward to seeing it. 

5 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Pack freshmen Camacho and hidlay. Both are possible AA threats. 

I watched Camacho live. Although he wrestled the freshman/ sophomore division at the hokie open, he clearly dominated the field with technique, speed and strength. I heard he gave fausz all he could handle in the room. 

Hilday could be a natty champ threat in a couple years. He is the real deal. I think he easily wins the 74 slot and displaces one of the Bullard boys. 

It pains me to say as a VT fan but NC State is gonna be really tough next year

Can Hidlay still make 174? He's representing the Junior WT at 86kg (189/190), and looks pretty good at the weight.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:29 PM, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

All of the guys you mentioned are great choices, most of those guys can compete for AA honors right away (probably all except Pat McKee and Chlebove if he wrestles).  We'll see if Brooks and Beard go or not--I'd guess no, but the situation from 184 - heavy for PSU right now isn't clear.  

Some additional guys that could make some noise that haven't been mentioned:

Tanner Sloan -- quietly might have had to most impressive redshirt season of anyone.  Already owns wins over 2 AA's.  Will rep us at Junior Worlds.  He will AA in a shallow weight. 
Brayton Lee -- his pace is going to be a real problem for people.  He'll give up points but if you get lazy, his re-attacks are super clean, and he can go all day.  
Cole Matthews -- really solid kid, had a great RS year, looked a little raw in freestyle but still had some nice wins.  Beat Kanen Storr at U23. 
Gavin Hoffman -- recent freestyle results put a pause on the optimism, but he had a very solid redshirt season.  Could see him being on the AA bubble this year. 
Will Lewan -- holds a win over (an out of form) Pantaleo... he should be ready to step in right away and compete
Travis Wittlake -- not quite the start I would have imagined for him, but he's in a great position to improve. Whether he is 165 or 174, both are crowded at the top. 
Lucas Davison -- another guy that could AA at 197, he has the talent and the credentials.  
Jaden Mattox -- the talent is there, but I think consistency will be an issue, and he's not guaranteed a spot in the lineup

Why would you include Travis Wittlake in this list without including Phil Conigliaro, who recently beat Wittlake twice at the Open and then took second (losing to Berge) at the Trials.

2 hours ago, rocklobsta said:

Why would you include Travis Wittlake in this list without including Phil Conigliaro, who recently beat Wittlake twice at the Open and then took second (losing to Berge) at the Trials.

I thought Conigliaro competed last year for Harvard and is now a sophomore.  I am not positive as he was not at EIWAs.  Harvard can't Red Shirt guys and if they are in school they usually are competing.