Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Top Freshman 2019/2020

15 hours ago, Creek chub said:

Pack freshmen Camacho and hidlay. Both are possible AA threats. 

I watched Camacho live. Although he wrestled the freshman/ sophomore division at the hokie open, he clearly dominated the field with technique, speed and strength. I heard he gave fausz all he could handle in the room. 

Hilday could be a natty champ threat in a couple years. He is the real deal. I think he easily wins the 74 slot and displaces one of the Bullard boys. 

It pains me to say as a VT fan but NC State is gonna be really tough next year

Trent is going 184

8 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I thought Conigliaro competed last year for Harvard and is now a sophomore.  I am not positive as he was not at EIWAs.  Harvard can't Red Shirt guys and if they are in school they usually are competing.

He will be a freshman.  Took a gap year after tearing ACL Sr year.

18 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

How many others can't Brooks beat at 174? Two, four, six more? 

Lujan, kutler, labriola, skatska, lydy, joe smith if he wrestles that weight. Mehki lewis if he goes up. Maybe valencia

10 minutes ago, Hwkfan4life said:

Lujan, kutler, labriola, skatska, lydy, joe smith if he wrestles that weight. Mehki lewis if he goes up. Maybe valencia

You are up to 11 guys, one of whom Brooks beats handily in free. Yeah, not worried about him if he is the guy for PSU. 

10 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

You are up to 11 guys, one of whom Brooks beats handily in free. Yeah, not worried about him if he is the guy for PSU. 

There is obviously a huge difference in the two styles, and the results that come with the two

6 hours ago, rocklobsta said:

He will be a freshman.  Took a gap year after tearing ACL Sr year.

That's good to know - I hope he can help bring Harvard back to where they were producing AAs on a pretty regular basis.

7 hours ago, lu1979 said:

That's good to know - I hope he can help bring Harvard back to where they were producing AAs on a pretty regular basis.

When's the last time Harvard was relevant on this board?  They won't beat Cornell or Lehigh next year, but they will be much stronger.  In addition to Conigliaro, they're bringing in a HWT who won Sr Nationals this year.  They also have one of their better wrestlers returning (149) from a competitive gap year.

6 hours ago, rocklobsta said:

When's the last time Harvard was relevant on this board?  They won't beat Cornell or Lehigh next year, but they will be much stronger.  In addition to Conigliaro, they're bringing in a HWT who won Sr Nationals this year.  They also have one of their better wrestlers returning (149) from a competitive gap year.

I am not sure what you mean by "relevant on this board" but Harvard was putting out a reasonably good team from the late 1990s through 2014 or so.  They were never a power house team but were usually in the middle of the EIWA standings and would regularly produce All Americans or guys in the blood round. Aside from the 2 national champs they had the would have a few tough guys who were ranked pretty high each year.  I would like to see them get back to to that level.  I don't expect them to compete with Lehigh, Cornell or Princeton but them getting back to their previous level of success would be good for their program and for the EIWA overall. 

On a related subject I think U of Penn's recruiting bodes well for them getting back to producing guys that can compete for AA honors also.

3 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

I am not sure what you mean by "relevant on this board" but Harvard was putting out a reasonably good team from the late 1990s through 2014 or so.  They were never a power house team but were usually in the middle of the EIWA standings and would regularly produce All Americans or guys in the blood round. Aside from the 2 national champs they had the would have a few tough guys who were ranked pretty high each year.  I would like to see them get back to to that level.  I don't expect them to compete with Lehigh, Cornell or Princeton but them getting back to their previous level of success would be good for their program and for the EIWA overall. 

On a related subject I think U of Penn's recruiting bodes well for them getting back to producing guys that can compete for AA honors also.

They won in 2001.

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Sasso’s gotta have a pretty good shot at 149 having beaten Lugo and Pantaleo last year.  Is Teemer going 157?

I think he's got a good shot, but his gassing at the Jr. WTT vs. Brayton Lee causes me pause.  He has NC level skills.  But does he have the NC level gas tank?  Maybe it was just an offseason dip?  If he gets challenged, I'm definitely concerned about that tank.

4 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I think he's got a good shot, but his gassing at the Jr. WTT vs. Brayton Lee causes me pause.  He has NC level skills.  But does he have the NC level gas tank?  Maybe it was just an offseason dip?  If he gets challenged, I'm definitely concerned about that tank.

Wrestling Lee has that effect on people.  He also came from behind and pulled away in the 2nd against Robb and Teemer in that same tournament.

Other than a loss to Carr up at 157 all of Lee's folkstyle losses last season were 1 or 2 point, and most of those were riding mistakes, such as just missing riding time, giving up too easy an escape, or not getting a ride out to end a period.  If he can shore up this part of his game he will be tough to beat.  Maybe Schlatter or Ness will even teach him some turns.

8 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Cevion Severado, Malik Johnson, Peyton Mocco, Jeremiah Kent.  With Mizzou's track record, I'd be shocked if at least one of these 4 doesn't AA.

I’m super high on Mocco if his injuries are corrected. 

Malik and Ceverado haven’t had great results. 

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Fair point, but tOSU guys tend to be in shape. I highly doubt Sasso will have this issue come NCAAs. 

Lee has the perfect style to wear guys down and it works against our best age level guys too. I rarely see Sasso gas (he gets tried but pushes through). 

23 hours ago, Hwkfan4life said:

There is obviously a huge difference in the two styles, and the results that come with the two

And Brooks has demonstrated a gap between his freestyle and folkstyle results. He has much better results in freestyle.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, TBar1977 said:

Exactly which freshman in the history of PSU under Sanderson, with next to no telling DI results have you been worried about?  Schnupp maybe?  Anyone else?

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I’m super high on Mocco if his injuries are corrected. 

Malik and Ceverado haven’t had great results. 

True, but both came in injured and didn't get a lot of mat time prior to the season.  Their early results showed that.  But Severado at least won his last 3 opens, albeit against mostly lower division guys, but still.  Johnson's injury recovery took longer.  Both come more highly regarded than Mauller was.  Unfortunately, I've moved away from Columbia and no longer have first hand knowledge about the practice room.  Ironically, of the four, Mocco might be the only one who doesn't start.

On 6/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, TBar1977 said:

I think the issue that is overlooked with Brooks (besides his lack of big folkstyle results) is that he's not a 184. He's wrestled 174 at every event where he could run into someone with a pulse and he doesn't look big there either. Penciling him in for success at 184 as a bumped up 174 is premature, especially with a guy as capable as Rasheed who has been excellent for 2 years minus one weekend where he wasn't healthy. It's more the insistence that he's a better option than Rasheed than whether he would be good at 184. I would be more interested in seeing him at 174 if Hall decides to redshirt. I think that weight is more suited for him. If I had to choose between him or Rasheed, I'd take Rasheed all day right now.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

Exactly which freshman in the history of PSU under Sanderson, with next to no telling DI results have you been worried about?  Schnupp maybe?  Anyone else?

I don't get involved with things like "worry" under Sanderson, I just sit back and enjoy.