Gantry

Final X Rutgers live thread

33 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

steveson can't finish a match, he gets tired.

He had 1:15 left and never tried a thing. He gassed big time and in my opinion his only route to winning was to go 2-0. Third bout I don't think he can be Gwiz.

Women's wrestling appears to be on a skill level comparable to high school boys wrestling.

I like watching it, I respect their competitive desire, but it's a lot of muscling like in high school wrestling.

Am I just wrong?

20 minutes ago, Full Nelson said:

Nickal looked just as quick.

Cox outfoxed Bo a bit.  I say Bo takes next match.

Bo may take the next match but there was NOTHING in the first one that would lead anybody to believe he should beat Cox. Cox did absolutely nothing and Nickal still couldn't score. Like Nerd said he might never score in 6 hours. And the only reason they look remotely the same athletically is because Cox did absolutely nothing. Put me in the camp that Nickal is going 86 next year for the Olympics.

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

Bo may take the next match but there was NOTHING in the first one that would lead anybody to believe he should beat Cox. Cox did absolutely nothing and Nickal still couldn't score. Like Nerd said he might never score in 6 hours. And the only reason they look remotely the same athletically is because Cox did absolutely nothing. Put me in the camp that Nickal is going 86 next year for the Olympics.

I thought Bo was going to do just one “season” of FS and move on to the octagon.

1 minute ago, ConnorsDad said:

I agree, still not quite sure why Cox did as little as needed.  Maybe saving for next match, too much respect?  Nickal should have gone 86kg (watch him pin Cox now).

Thanks. Since I don't follow MMA much that's a distinct possibility. But me thinks it would be silly to be competing right now and not take a shot at the Olympics. If he's going to go to MMA next year, why not start now

Wow, Pat Smith steals one from Bey. I know most of you don’t follow Greco but it’s worth watching the first and then the next match. Complete blowout for Bey and Smith adjusts and blocks Bey off to win the second. A little boring but very solid effort by Smith. 

39 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Rooting for Yianni but props to Zain on a very well-executed game plan. Got off several attacks each period with quick finishes. Really well done. 

Didn't the Cornell homers get mad at me right after the US Open for saying that they shouldn't be overlooking Retherford so easily?  I'm not even a fan of Retherford and I could see that.

1 minute ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Didn't the Cornell homers get mad at me right after the US Open for saying that they shouldn't be overlooking Retherford so easily?  I'm not even a fan of Retherford and I could see that.

I don’t think anybody overlooked Retherford. They just voted with their hearts. Zain is outstanding but I’d rather have Yianni on the team. Fresh blood, more upside, and a very hard style to face the first time. 

3 minutes ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

There is no way Bo is bumping to 97kg next cycle having weighed 87kg today. Taylor is gonna have a tough road back and 86kg is the easier path by far

I was just thinking this. He would be so small. Simply no way he could hang with the horsepower of Snyder or Jden at that weight. I don’t care how much he improves. 

1 minute ago, Pennsy Kraken said:

There is no way Bo is bumping to 97kg next cycle having weighed 87kg today. Taylor is gonna have a tough road back and 86kg is the easier path by far

DT or no DT, it was always the easier path, both within and outside the US. Nickal going 92 and weighing in at 87 makes me think DT big brothers him and Bo doesn’t want to have to beat his mentor to make the team or the coaches were not looking out for his best interests. I don’t care how good you are, there are weight clases for a reason and giving up that much weight to a world champ is crazy. 

17 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I don’t think anybody overlooked Retherford. They just voted with their hearts. Zain is outstanding but I’d rather have Yianni on the team. Fresh blood, more upside, and a very hard style to face the first time. 

With one previous world team (last year) and only two real years into his senior career, I don’t know how you can consider Zain to be old blood at the Senior level. If that’s the case almost the entire senior level FS and GR team needs turned over.  May want to leave that point out of it. 

Edited by MadMardigain

27 minutes ago, Full Nelson said:

Women's wrestling appears to be on a skill level comparable to high school boys wrestling.

I like watching it, I respect their competitive desire, but it's a lot of muscling like in high school wrestling.

Am I just wrong?

I am with you on the skill level comment, but I can't stand watching women's wrestling.