Gantry

Final X Rutgers live thread

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

Haha. I love Jden! I am serious. I truly think he is our best wrestler now. His style really does remind me of Varner. He has got some slick moves, extremely strong, but only uses them when he needs to. No offensive points from Bo in two matches. That is sick! 

It's not outlandish to say that he might be our best, which is saying something on a team with Burroughs and Snyder.

He's an impressive wrestler and an impressive man.

He's really gone all in on senior level wrestling -- remember when he was talking about playing football?  Seemed then that he might be a little ambivalent about wrestling; if he was, it's certainly not the case now. 

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Varner was an Olympic Gold Medalist.  It's disingenuous to pretend Cox is better at everything than Varner was.  But I guess it makes sense, since Varner is the only guy to get less credit than Cox.  It amazes me how much smart fans allow aesthetics to determine their evaluations of wrestling.

JDen can sing better.

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Varner was an Olympic Gold Medalist.  It's disingenuous to pretend Cox is better at everything than Varner was.  But I guess it makes sense, since Varner is the only guy to get less credit than Cox.  It amazes me how much smart fans allow aesthetics to determine their evaluations of wrestling.

Agree. I looked back at Varner's matches. Point total wise in 3 world championships and at three WTT trials events Varner actually scored more. Varner can still beat Nickal in the room. I wish he would consider one more go in 2020. Would love to see Varner, Cox and Snyder battle it out at 213! 

Edited by PRyan2012

15 minutes ago, PRyan2012 said:

Agree. I looked back at Varner's matches. Point total wise in 3 world championships and at three WTT trials events Varner actually scored more. Varner can still beat Nickal in the room. I wish he would consider one more go in 2020. Would love to see Varner, Cox and Snyder battle it out at 213! 

Talk about steel sharpening steel!

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Count me as one of the guys who thinks he can wrestle better too. Cox is the man.

I absolutely think Cox is better.  I just think claiming he's better at everything discounts how good Varner actually was.  

But like I said, most fans evaluate wrestlers more on how you win then anything else.  

No one is taking aways Varner's credentials. He wasn't an offensive juggernaut like J'den Cox.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

It's not that Cox is "boring" it's just that he does not put himself into bad positions, and also does not shoot unless there is a high-percentage chance of scoring. If you say it out loud then this is a great description of any world champion:

J'Den Cox is a master of mitigating risk anytime there is a potential to backfire against him, and has excellent takedown abilities when he moves his opponent out of position to enable the opportunity to strike. He does his best to always stay in great position so that he does not end up in scramble situations that could go 50/50 and hamper his chances to emerge victorious. He recognizes his opponents' abilities on the domestic and global stage, as the elite of the elite, to take advantage of poor positioning and has worked tirelessly to ensure that he gives no such disadvantage. Additionally, he keeps position to ensure that he avoids "big-move" wrestlers that thrive upon poor positions and/ or weak or fake shot attempts and punish their opponents. Cox is a complete wrestler that is hard to rattle and thus is able to bring his best performances to the biggest stages.

18 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Wouldn't it be better if Varner go on the Cassart meal plan and challenged Gwiz?

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wouldn't it be better if Varner go on the Cassart meal plan and challenged Gwiz?

At this point he is 33 so probably. Hard to cut weight at that age. But no one knows what Cassar is going to do and they are training partners. 

Edited by PRyan2012

6 hours ago, cjc007 said:

No one is taking aways Varner's credentials. He wasn't an offensive juggernaut like J'den Cox.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You didn't say he was more offensive than Varner.  You said he was more offensive AND more tactical.  Few guys have been better tactically and Cox is not one of those guys.