Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Stevo Poulin

I guess nobody saw this but Willie Saylor's recap on Cadet WTT includes a snippet about Stevo Poulin eventually finding his way to PSU. First I have heard of that. 

48KG: Stevo Poulin, NY

Path: Greyson Clark, Justin Wells, Joey Fischer, Carter McAllister, Cory Land

Notes: Haters said Poulin was just a viral thing. I told you he was the truth. He had a fine 2018 freestyle season and continued on that trajectory to become what he is now: elite. No one went the distance with him. PSU in his future? I think so.

Poulin is/was the 8 year old kid with the mohawk that became an internet sensation several years ago with a highlight video where he's throwing other little dudes left and right.

Edited by TBar1977

I feel like a couple other youth wrestling studs may have PSU on their radar too.  That part of the articles more about Willie telling others “I told you so” than it is some affirmation about Poulin being a PSU recruit.  Though I’m sure they will be showing more interest in him or anyone else of his age who continues to have his level of success.  

6 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Several years ago?  Wasn't that video from almost 10 years ago?  I remember it coming out a long time ago.

Looks like the video was posted March 2011. 

I figure he was saying that because of the prior sentence which says no one went the distance with him. Never can say where a kid is going to end up so early.

11 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Several years ago?  Wasn't that video from almost 10 years ago?  I remember it coming out a long time ago.

A couple of years ago = 2 years ago

A few years ago = 3 or 4 years ago

Several years ago = 5 to 10 years ago

Many years ago = 10 to 20 years ago

A generation or more ago = 20 to 40 years ago

A half a century ago = 40 to 60 years ago

A lifetime ago = 60 to 90 years ago

A century ago = 100 years ago

On 6/9/2019 at 9:25 AM, TBar1977 said:

A couple of years ago = 2 years ago

A few years ago = 3 or 4 years ago

Several years ago = 5 to 10 years ago

Many years ago = 10 to 20 years ago

A generation or more ago = 20 to 40 years ago

A half a century ago = 40 to 60 years ago

A lifetime ago = 60 to 90 years ago

A century ago = 100 years ago

A half century ago is 50 years. "Around/almost/about a half century ago" could be acceptable for 40-60.

And google tells me several means more than 2, but not many. So 10 is too much for several. But perhaps 8 years is still several?

Anyways, he needs to put on some size before I see Cael offering him any money. If he has a Zahid style growth spurt, he could be a beast.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, Crotalus said:

A half century ago is 50 years. "Around/almost/about a half century ago" could be acceptable for 40-60.

And google tells me several means more than 2, but not many. So 10 is too much for several. But perhaps 8 years is still several?

Anyways, he needs to put on some size before I see Cael offering him any money. If he has a Zahid style growth spurt, he could be a beast.

Yeah, he does need size. Maybe a 125 in a few years.

Edited by TBar1977

8 hours ago, insidecradle said:

He had a tough match in the NYS finals this year. Only won by a couple points. I think his opponent was a 7th or 8th grader, so that kid could be on the PSU radar as well.

7th grader Zack Ryder...

He is an "A" student....So, he can probably get into any school he wants...

But I tend to agree that until given a reason to think otherwise, I see him Raleigh bound in a few years.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, insidecradle said:

He had a tough match in the NYS finals this year. Only won by a couple points. I think his opponent was a 7th or 8th grader, so that kid could be on the PSU radar as well.

And I heard that kid had a practice partner in club a year or two ago who used to go pretty well with him.  So he might be on Carl's radar too.

I can't think of too many wrestlers that I would call an internet sensation.  I had a lot of wrestling fans and even people that had never watched wrestling ask me if I knew who this kid was.  I'm glad to hear he's still successful.  I worried a little that he would also only be a youth sensation.  There have been a few of those I'm sure who never made it to high school.  That kind of intensity was impressive, but it made me worry he could have a hard time if/when he lost.  I'm pulling for him.