He's been clear on his MMA plans since before he graduated.

He intends to see the cycle out and had said he will be going 97kg(213lbs) next year. Weighing in at 87.7kg I don't see how nor why he goes 213 next year UNLESS he intends to go 205 in MMA rather than 185.

If after tonight, he still wants 97 kg, he might as well start his MMA career now then because he is never beating either Snyder or Cox. He’s such a good athlete that size didn’t matter at NCAAs but Cox made him look as unathletic as he made everyone else look at NCAAs tonight. The gap is very big. 

As for 205 in MMA, due to 30ish hour before weigh-ins in UFC versus 2 hours in wrestling, he better be 220+ to be competitive at 205 in MMA. Tyron Woodley, a welterweight (170 lbs) begins his cut from about 200 lbs before each UFC fight. 

Under any circumstances, MMA plans or not, 86 kg is the right wrestling weight for Bo next year. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

Apparently it's taken him 5 years to gain about 8-10 pounds. Which would make 97Kg a pipe dream.  This 87.7 thing can't possibly be real, can it?!  Why was his weight not revealed at the Open or WTT?

I really need to take screenshots of the Trackwrestling weight certification feature.  In the preseason you can always tell the weight range of a wrestler.  Could have sworn Nickal was over 197 during certification.  

Edited by LemonPie

Well he has three options.  To hope Cox is done after next year. Drops to take on Taylor, but that may not turn out well either.  Just walks away to MMA rather than waiting a few more years. 

Edited by MadMardigain

Just now, boconnell said:

Also it's clear Cox is superior technically and not just physically.  Nickal is not closing all of that gap in 1 year even at 92.  

In every way. Physically (size and strength), athletically, technically, sweat glands, everything. Tonight had to have been a wake up call if he cares about wrestling at all anymore. Even in the final gimme TD to end the series, Cox just stood there holding position and Nickal couldn’t score. 

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

Hope Cox is done after next year. 

Not happening. If anything, Cox has redoubled his commitment to wrestling. He moved to the OTC and was quite clear in his victory interview tonight that he’s still just getting started (meaning 2020 and 2024 O cycles). 

8 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Not happening. If anything, Cox has redoubled his commitment to wrestling. He moved to the OTC and was quite clear in his victory interview tonight that he’s still just getting started (meaning 2020 and 2024 O cycles). 

Maybe true but Cox has always followed his own path.   I also wouldn’t be surprised if decided to hang it up after getting another Olympic medal to follow some other life path.  He’d could walk away on top of the world and still somewhat in his prime and that wouldn't shock me because it’s kinda how Jden is.  Question really is can Bo wait as the backup thinking that’s an option or does even thinking he’s stuck in that roll full his desire to just jump to MMA instead. 

Edited by MadMardigain

Mr. Cox has more to decide 86kg or 97kg in 2020...Mr. Taylor may never wrestle again and Mr. Nickal will thrive @ 86kg either way...Gwiz vs Cassar interesting...Congrats to Mr. Retherford!!!

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

Bo and Cox are only one year age difference. The bigger difference is Cox has been out of school longer and has already wrestled in three world games (including the 2016 olympics). If Cox wins worlds this year he’s done more than all but ten of USA’s elite wrestlers (give or take). So it’s easy enough to see Cox finishing up after 2020 no matter what happens.

This notion of him being capable of going up to 97kg for 2020 and being ready to take out the likes of Snyder and Cox is silly. People got carried away with his NCAA success and somehow projected him moving up and dominating world class wrestlers. Plus I've never seen him quoted as saying that was his plan for 2020. His best bet is 86kg and hope that Taylor is not the same guy 9-10 months from now because there is a good chance he won't be 100% & Nickal can beat the likes of Downey, Martin, Heflin etc... without a doubt

38 minutes ago, BigTimeFan said:

As for Bo, he’s an interesting one. No question he could have made 184 this year (right?) so his winning at 197 was damn impressive. But why didn’t he go 86kg for worlds? Was it Taylor? 

He stated in an interview that he was not  going to challenge DT

Edited by CaliWrestler

I totally understand not challenging Taylor.  I disagree, but I get it.  I even admire it from a certain perspective.  That's a great sense of team that our individual sport does not often foster.

With 92 KG as an option and riding high off of NCAAs I get trying my hand against Cox.  

But hopefully one of his coaches convinces him to not go anywhere near 97 next year.  

55 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I totally understand not challenging Taylor.  I disagree, but I get it.  I even admire it from a certain perspective.  That's a great sense of team that our individual sport does not often foster.

Great sense of team not to challenge DT?  That's not what making world or Olympic teams is about.  It's about getting our best wrestlers on the mat.  And with Bo not going 86kg, we're stuck with Downey.  Is that good for the team?

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Great sense of team not to challenge DT?  That's not what making world or Olympic teams is about.  It's about getting our best wrestlers on the mat.  And with Bo not going 86kg, we're stuck with Downey.  Is that good for the team?

Bo wasnt beating Downey this year either!

7 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

It's clear that team USA is not the team he cares most about.  And he shouldn't honestly.  "Team" USA is not a team.  PSU is his team.