NJDan

USAW's coverage is just sad

Here is USAW's discussion of Yianni v. Zain:

"In the first match, Retherford won a number of positions and came on strong in the second period to secure a 10-4 victory. 

The second match ended with some controversy. In a series of moves late in the match, officials gave Diakomihalis an 8-6 victory, which would have forced a third bout. The Retherford corner challenged the call, and when officials reviewed the video tape, the score was changed to 6-6. Retherford won the match by criteria, giving him a two-match sweep."

Then they quote Zain's on-mat, post-match interview. 

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/June/08/Final-X-Rutgers

I know USAW's website is not really journalism. But this-- "the score was changed"-- is a sad and pathetic effort.

That said, Intermat is even worse. Here is it's comment: 

"2017 World Team member Zain Retherford punched his ticket to the World Championships by beating U.S. Open champion Yianni Diakomihalis at 65 kilograms in two straight matches, avenging a U.S. Open finals loss. Retherford rolled to a 10-4 victory in the first match before closing out the victory with a 6-6 victory on criteria." 

I know USAW's website is not really journalism.

But this-- "the score was changed"-- is a sad and pathetic effort. 

Let me provide a little insight, having been on both sides of the coverage of events like this. The first line quoted is accurate because at USAW events, the communications team is first and foremost, media relations/public relations for the organization. Some NGBs don’t even provide external content. For USAW purposes, Gary, Mike and Taylor’s job is to focus on USAW and the basic facts of any and all situations. Editorializing and feature-based journalism exists in their external coverage of the college season, etc. I first experienced it in 2003 when I was freelancing for TheMat.com and stringing for the Associated Press at the World Championships. IIRC, Cormier got beat and shoved his Iranian opponent. My story for USAW skirted over this, since it did not impact the final score, but I did allude to it being something like “an emotional finish.” In my AP story, I outlined what happened post-match.

Independent media will focus more on the controversy, but don’t expect any NGB to draw attention to a controversial topic as a big part of a recap or release.

As someone who cut my teeth in newsrooms, it was a hard thing for me to deal with initially, but there is a difference between PR and journalism. We have a lot of fuzzy lines in our sport in that regard - a lot of covering your friends and access journalism -
so the bottom line here is the folks did their job as it relates to their company. The editorializing and analysis won’t come from an NGB in a post event wrap.

Hope that provides some background on why you don’t see long, drawn out explanations on things like what happened on Saturday night.

15 hours ago, NJDan said:

Here is USAW's discussion of Yianni v. Zain:

"In the first match, Retherford won a number of positions and came on strong in the second period to secure a 10-4 victory. 

The second match ended with some controversy. In a series of moves late in the match, officials gave Diakomihalis an 8-6 victory, which would have forced a third bout. The Retherford corner challenged the call, and when officials reviewed the video tape, the score was changed to 6-6. Retherford won the match by criteria, giving him a two-match sweep."

Then they quote Zain's on-mat, post-match interview. 

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2019/June/08/Final-X-Rutgers

I know USAW's website is not really journalism. But this-- "the score was changed"-- is a sad and pathetic effort.

That said, Intermat is even worse. Here is it's comment: 

"2017 World Team member Zain Retherford punched his ticket to the World Championships by beating U.S. Open champion Yianni Diakomihalis at 65 kilograms in two straight matches, avenging a U.S. Open finals loss. Retherford rolled to a 10-4 victory in the first match before closing out the victory with a 6-6 victory on criteria." 

Why would USAW put out an opinion piece weighing in on the match?  Why would you ever expect that type of thing in a press release?  

This is an absurd post.  

6 hours ago, boconnell said:

Why would USAW put out an opinion piece weighing in on the match?  Why would you ever expect that type of thing in a press release?  

This is an absurd post.  

It's not denominated an opinion piece or a press release. It's presented as news. As news coverage, it's really bad, not because it lacks opinion, but because it lacks any meaningful description.

It's not denominated an opinion piece or a press release. It's presented as news. As news coverage, it's really bad, not because it lacks opinion, but because it lacks any meaningful description.

It’s presented as newsworthy information and as I mentioned above, USAW event-related info isn’t going to have the same distinction as their NCAA coverage. TheMat has been around since 2001 and that is more or less SOP for USAW (as I described having worked for the organization). A “meaningful description” could be incorrect or slightly different and lead to something the rules or organization didn’t do, so in controversial situations, you’re going to get bland - that is normal for NGB press ops. Just the way it is and no one should be surprised that an NGB would simply say “controversial” in that situation. It’s factually correct, open-ended and devoid of editorializing.

We don’t have the number of independent news outlets covering the sport to get a lot of what you’re looking or asking for.

19 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Let me provide a little insight, having been on both sides of the coverage of events like this. The first line quoted is accurate because at USAW events, the communications team is first and foremost, media relations/public relations for the organization. Some NGBs don’t even provide external content. For USAW purposes, Gary, Mike and Taylor’s job is to focus on USAW and the basic facts of any and all situations. Editorializing and feature-based journalism exists in their external coverage of the college season, etc. I first experienced it in 2003 when I was freelancing for TheMat.com and stringing for the Associated Press at the World Championships. IIRC, Cormier got beat and shoved his Iranian opponent. My story for USAW skirted over this, since it did not impact the final score, but I did allude to it being something like “an emotional finish.” In my AP story, I outlined what happened post-match.

Independent media will focus more on the controversy, but don’t expect any NGB to draw attention to a controversial topic as a big part of a recap or release.

As someone who cut my teeth in newsrooms, it was a hard thing for me to deal with initially, but there is a difference between PR and journalism. We have a lot of fuzzy lines in our sport in that regard - a lot of covering your friends and access journalism -
so the bottom line here is the folks did their job as it relates to their company. The editorializing and analysis won’t come from an NGB in a post event wrap.

Hope that provides some background on why you don’t see long, drawn out explanations on things like what happened on Saturday night.

I appreciate your expert explanation!  How is USA Wrestling going to gloss over the controversy and fuzzy lines if the Yianni camp does indeed push the brick rules issue in a court of law?  Regardless of whom everyone wanted to win the match I think that most people will agree that it took the Zane camp much longer than 5 seconds to toss the brick and Lord only knows how many seconds or even minutes back the officials went to watch the video tape.  

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

I appreciate your expert explanation!  How is USA Wrestling going to gloss over the controversy and fuzzy lines if the Yianni camp does indeed push the brick rules issue in a court of law? 

That's where the PR experience will come into play. When I was there, we didn't have anything like this to deal with, but Gary's been on the job since 1988. That part of his job isn't easy, but it's a PR release situation. So I'd advise people to keep their expectations from anything that could come from the Yianni-Zain situation in line with what the USAW communications team's role is. 

2 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

That's where the PR experience will come into play. When I was there, we didn't have anything like this to deal with, but Gary's been on the job since 1988. That part of his job isn't easy, but it's a PR release situation. So I'd advise people to keep their expectations from anything that could come from the Yianni-Zain situation in line with what the USAW communications team's role is. 

All I can say is that the sooner that USA Wrestling, Zain & Yianni are able to get this issue resolved the better off everyone will be.  If this indeed this becomes a jury trial it will cost everyone a great deal of money not counting the fact that some people & organizations will have their reputation severely damaged or even ruined.   

Great deal of money you say? At least both guys' camps have plenty of that. Between Penn State's "slush fund" and Cornell's well.. it's Cornell and they make no secrets about their money driven egos there. I'm not expecting anything of the sort, but there should be a third match. Zain did not deserve the W he was handed

1 hour ago, Perry said:

Great deal of money you say? At least both guys' camps have plenty of that. Between Penn State's "slush fund" and Cornell's well.. it's Cornell and they make no secrets about their money driven egos there. I'm not expecting anything of the sort, but there should be a third match. Zain did not deserve the W he was handed

If this goes before a jury I would be shocked if a champion is declared before the World Championships.  I could truly see a scenario with which the USA has to forfeit the weight class for the World Championships due to everything being tied up in legal proceedings.  It's going to be interesting but one thing is for certain and that is neither  Zain or  Yianni did  anything wrong.  This one is 100% on USA Wrestling.  I learned a long time ago that if you not only follow the rules but follow them to the letter of the law you will have no problems.  The issue is that one must be consistent and most people allow their own human nature and feelings to become involved with their personal interpretation of rules.  

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

If this goes before a jury I would be shocked if a champion is declared before the World Championships.  I could truly see a scenario with which the USA has to forfeit the weight class for the World Championships due to everything being tied up in legal proceedings.  It's going to be interesting but one thing is for certain and that is neither  Zain or  Yianni did  anything wrong.  This one is 100% on USA Wrestling.  I learned a long time ago that if you not only follow the rules but follow them to the letter of the law you will have no problems.  The issue is that one must be consistent and most people allow their own human nature and feelings to become involved with their personal interpretation of rules.  

Why would the USA need to forfeit?  International Wrestling has no concern for what is or isn't happening in an American court.  They will recognize any name we put on the entry form, no matter who else is disputing that entry form.

14 hours ago, boconnell said:

Why would the USA need to forfeit?  International Wrestling has no concern for what is or isn't happening in an American court.  They will recognize any name we put on the entry form, no matter who else is disputing that entry form.

More than likely the courts would block USA Wrestling from allowing anyone to compete at the weight class in question until the issue has been resolved.  This is the way that it happens 99.9% of the time.  That is why I am adamant that this issue must be resolved ASAP if not sooner.  

On 6/9/2019 at 6:14 PM, scribe said:

Zains legs go limp too like he’s being ragdolled. 

This.  Zain was carried over.  You don't initiate a roundhouse move like that, I've never seen it.  His legs were carried around in a circular fashion showing it was Yianni's move.  Period.  The only thing different Y could have done was to signal to the ref he was about to make this spectacular move like I saw Askren do at US Nationals years ago.   

mspart

On 6/10/2019 at 12:53 AM, boconnell said:

This is an absurd post.  

The real purpose of this thread is public litigation of the match. He started another separate thread but it wasn't going in the direction he wanted.