His weight is more interesting to me than Nickal's.  In an interview with flo, he said his weight accidentally dipped 2 under while drilling with PD3.   Unclear if that is kilos or pounds.  Units aside, I am rethinking my opinion he goes up next year.  With cooperative weight, he is a lock at 86.

His weight is more interesting to me than Nickal's.  In an interview with flo, he said his weight accidentally dipped 2 under while drilling with PD3.   Unclear if that is kilos or pounds.  Units aside, I am rethinking my opinion he goes up next year.  With cooperative weight, he is a lock at 86.
He knows who he handles easier. I expect him to make the team whichever he chooses.

I thought I heard he said 2 lbs under, but it doesn't matter. The point is he can make 86 kg if he wanted to. Atrophying 4-5 kg in a one-year period is not as hard as some make it out to be on here for a guy of his considerable muscle mass (he is long-limbed and short). Given Askren's ties to Mizzou and how close he is personally to J'Den, I take his recent comment about a possible descent to 86 kg as the most credible clue as to which weight Cox will go next year. If he goes 86, the spot is his and so is Olympic gold, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

That has always been Jden plan to go down for 2020.Have had the pleasure of speaking with him many times the kid gets it.He told me prior to 2018 worlds that he was going 86kg in 2020

Askren's suspicion + justfan's word = LOCK. Cox at 86 it is. 

I'm also in the 86 camp. I get it's a tough cut. But Cox has an opportunity to change his career and life next year and 86 is by far the easiest path.

86: Beat DT (already done), skipped a year due to surgery. Then beat a bunch of smaller guys DT beat.

97: Beat Snyder (twice, no less). Then Sadulaev. 

Why his choice is such a question is a mystery to me. Cox is massive for his height. He can atrophy 4-5 kg off his frame the right way given a year.

8 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Askren's suspicion + justfan's word = LOCK. Cox at 86 it is. 

I'm also in the 86 camp. I get it's a tough cut. But Cox has an opportunity to change his career and life next year and 86 is by far the easiest path.

86: Beat DT (already done), skipped a year due to surgery. Then beat a bunch of smaller guys DT beat.

97: Beat Snyder (twice, no less). Then Sadulaev. 

Why his choice is such a question is a mystery to me. Cox is massive for his height. He can atrophy 4-5 kg off his frame the right way given a year.

Jden cut won't be that bad.The way his body is now he's a average size 92kg.We will get to see Jden vs DT next year.

If he does go down he will be huge.  I do think he has a slight advantage over DT, but it is not a lock.  Truth be told we are very good in the US from 74kg and up.  In most weights 2 deep.  After seeing Gable and the progression of Ringer and I-Mar, plus a year of development by Bo and Nolf I don't know that anyone is a lock.  Next year, with a reduction of weights for the Olympics  making the team is going to be a meat grinder. I will be rooting for J'Den to make the team, but I don't know I would bet on any weight 74kg and up. It's gonna be nuts. 

Edited by scramble

Hear me out here.

Taylor wears people out. That is how he won against the Rooskie and the Iranian. He won't do that to Cox.

If his cut is fine he should beat Taylor.

Add in the slip'n'slide aspect and Cox is tailor-made to defeat Taylor. Even a 90kg Taylor.