tigerfan

If Cox medals at World's...

Jden. We will stop underrating you now. In my opinion you are our best guy now. Please plan on going through 2024! Your right if you win Gold in a 1-1 win you are the champ! Lets see if you can go through worlds without giving up a takedown ok?

not sure
but someone was saying that folkstyle hindered these young pups
Thank God they don't use that Penn State folkstyle technique.

Nolf? Hall? Joseph? Nickal?

What do they all have in common?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PRyan2012 said:

Jden. We will stop underrating you now. In my opinion you are our best guy now. Please plan on going through 2024! Your right if you win Gold in a 1-1 win you are the champ! Lets see if you can go through worlds without giving up a takedown ok?

He’s only 24 so he could probably go through 2028 if he wanted to.

In addition to being a world champ and 2x bronze it's pretty incredible who he has beaten domestically as well. Two world champions in Dake and Taylor and 3x NCAA champ last night in nickal (who didnt score an offensive point). That's so incredibly impressive and all three of those guys are hodge winners as well.

Not sure why there is hate on Penn state's guys who are all phenoms in their own rights even if they're not world calibre yet. It's a young crew and guys like snyder/Cox (and even yianni) are few and far between

2 hours ago, tigerfan said:

That's 4 consecutive immediately upon beginning Senior level competition.  Smith had 6, Burroughs 5.  Has any other American gone 4 for 4 besides those 2?

Dave Schultz maybe? I’m not sure if he made a senior team before ‘82, but that year he got a bronze up at 180.5 because Kemp was at 163. Then at 163 Schultz medaled in ‘83, ‘84, ‘85, maybe ‘86 and ‘87 too before Monday jumped in. 

6 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Dave Schultz maybe? I’m not sure if he made a senior team before ‘82, but that year he got a bronze up at 180.5 because Kemp was at 163. Then at 163 Schultz medaled in ‘83, ‘84, ‘85, maybe ‘86 and ‘87 too before Monday jumped in. 

And that was when they gave out only one bronze

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Didn't Snyder beat Cox at Trials the year he won his first world title? Meaning he is on a streak two more right now? If he medals he'll be at 6 for 6?

Snyder beat Cox 4-3 in the semis of the 2015 US Open.

this is a bad bad man and deserves his respect ! Most underrated, most bad man on the team. p4p best with Jordan no doubt about it. Frankly top 5 best p4p in the world.

Fanboy favs taylor and dake lose to Cox, this man is a bad man !!! Beat taylor with one damn leg for crying out loud. And instead of praising j'den fan's bit%%ed that taylor lost and cried like babies.. Taylor won't ever touch another world team if he is at Cox's weight.

As mr nickal found out he is not wrestling kollin moore anymore there is levels to this he is wrestling j'den freaken COX. and he don't want none of that COX.

The scary thing he is a man on a mission. He is on a train to his goals and if your in his way you are going to get run over and smashed. ...I'd probably even favor him over Snyder if Snyder is in his path.

2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

this is a bad bad man and deserves his respect ! Most underrated, most bad man on the team. p4p best with Jordan no doubt about it. Frankly top 5 best p4p in the world.

Fanboy favs taylor and dake lose to Cox, this man is a bad man !!! Beat taylor with one damn leg for crying out loud. And instead of praising j'den fan's bit%%ed that taylor lost and cried like babies.. Taylor won't ever touch another world team if he is at Cox's weight.

As mr nickal found out he is not wrestling kollin moore anymore there is levels to this he is wrestling j'den freaken COX. and he don't want none of that COX.

The scary thing he is a man on a mission. He is on a train to his goals and if your in his way you are going to get run over and smashed. ...I'd probably even favor him over Snyder if Snyder is in his path.

You're 12 years old, aren't you.  My 11 year old daughter has better written grammar than you.  Wow... Gotta love these forums.  

6 hours ago, PRyan2012 said:

Snyder is our best guy.  The 97 KG version of Cox/Dake/Taylor/Burroughs isn't beating Sadulaev either (or splitting with him for that matter).  Cox has a single world title at a non-Olympic weight.  Snyder is a 3X World and Olympic Champ who split with the best wrestler on Earth.  

I love how guys can be so underrated they become overrated when everyone hustles to over-correct.  Cox wasn't our best guy before this weekend, and 2 wins over Bo Nickal don't vault him into being our best guy.  He's an excellent wrestler who has one of the best starts ever to a career.  That's enough and needs no hyperbole.

3 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Awesome! I kind of feel like you can't post something like this and then end with "I'd probably even favor him over Snyder if Snyder is in his path" as if maybe you're not sure what you just wrote! LOL! 

6 hours ago, boconnell said:

Snyder is our best guy.  The 97 KG version of Cox/Dake/Taylor/Burroughs isn't beating Sadulaev either (or splitting with him for that matter). 

I have to agree with you. This is coming from a huge J'Den fan.  I have watched him since high school.  

I have been saying J'Den is underated since before his first Bronze.  With that said, it is really hard to deny Snyder at this time because he lost to Sad.  

There are so many hypotheticals people want to make without considering all the variable.  

Some examples. 

J'Den losing to Snyder in 2015 at the US open.  J'Den back then I think was getting burned out and not necessarily wanting to continue beyond college.  You can gain that takeaway in his interview way back. 

Snyder embedded himself in freestyle back in highschool.  Even going to the OTC.  He was more prepared at an early age than anyone not named Cejudo. 

JB is maybe the best ever.  That can't be denied just because he hasn't won gold in a couple years.  Smith and Big Bruce are the only one that should even be in that discussion. 

In the present and time if recency Snyder is the man.  To think he isn't at the pinnacle anymore because of a loss to Sad is ludicrous.  

J'Den is on Level with Snyder.  They have been on the same level since high school. They are a 1 point separation and whoever wins the spot for the Oly team will not be a reflection on the others level. Neither will have "lost a step" because they don't make the team. 1 spot, 2 phenoms. 

In the moment, the past few months, J'Den has startrd getting the attention and recognition he deserves.  Snyder's loss to Sad, and Dake and Taylors injuries opened the door for J'Den to have more exposure. Which was long overdue. I'm glad for him. 

A few years ago everyone was talking about how we wish DT and Dake could be in the lineup with everyone else.  Now they are.  They are both great.  As USA fans what we are experiencing is a treat.  What comes up must come down.  This ride where we have so many amazing athletes on the team at once won't last forever... So enjoy it. 

Last... Penn State is a phenomenal team with tons of amazing talent.  Like them or not they give the wrestling world a product that is enjoyable to watch.  The fact that Bo, Nolf, and company can't beat returning World medalist makes them nothing more than a product of timing.  It does not diminish how truly talented those young guys are not does it does not mean they are not world class themselves.  Look at Zahid and Ringer.  Both who are possibly world medalist... Both having to sit in waiting.  Maybe even the more recent I-Mar.

My 2c : JDen hasn’t beaten the same level of competition as Snyder. Yes he beat Taylor and Dake but they were both still moving up in weights and while they both won worlds they are the same level as Gadisov and Sadulaev. Internationally the so far as I can tell the best wrestler Cox beat was Karimi (Iran) who is a beast for sure but isn’t a multi time world champ. 

Baumgartner won a medal every year from 83-90, so 8 medals in a row including 2 gold. I think that is the only other guy to hit 4 in a row. 

1. Baumgartner (8) - includes 2 gold

2. smith (6) - includes 6 gold

3. Burroughs (5), current streak 2 - includes 4 gold in longest run

4. Snyder (4), current streak - includes 3 gold

Most current streak

1. Snyder (4)

2. Jden (3)

3. Burroughs (2), Gwiz (2)

5. Colon (1), Dake (1)

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

Baumgartner won a medal every year from 83-90, so 8 medals in a row including 2 gold. I think that is the only other guy to hit 4 in a row. 

1. Baumgartner (8) - includes 2 gold

2. smith (6) - includes 6 gold

3. Burroughs (5), current streak 2 - includes 4 gold in longest run

4. Snyder (4), current streak - includes 3 gold

Most current streak

1. Snyder (4)

2. Jden (3)

3. Burroughs (2), Gwiz (2)

5. Colon (1), Dake (1)

Dave Schultz won a medal every year '82 thru '87 so that's 6. Not sure if that was starting out his senior career or not ('82). Big Bruce did not medal right out of the gate, but his streak and overall career medal haul is crazy good. 

Rick Sanders earned medals in '66-'69 = 4. 

Bill Scherr earned medals '85-'89 = 5. 

again not sure if right out of the gate but a couple more that won 4 or more medals in a row at some point in their careers. 

also want to mention Lee Kemp. He won medals 4 out of 5 years (3 Gold, 1 bronze). '80 boycott screwed him out of a likely 5 in a row haul. 

Edited by KTG119

9 hours ago, boconnell said:

Snyder is our best guy.  The 97 KG version of Cox/Dake/Taylor/Burroughs isn't beating Sadulaev either (or splitting with him for that matter).  Cox has a single world title at a non-Olympic weight.  Snyder is a 3X World and Olympic Champ who split with the best wrestler on Earth.  

I love how guys can be so underrated they become overrated when everyone hustles to over-correct.  Cox wasn't our best guy before this weekend, and 2 wins over Bo Nickal don't vault him into being our best guy.  He's an excellent wrestler who has one of the best starts ever to a career.  That's enough and needs no hyperbole.

This is how I feel.  I do agree he was a bit underappreciated, but the mass have overreacted to that.  Cox is now being called the best we have and the face of USA wrestling.  I don't agree with that, at least not until this year's World Championships are over.  

Edited by misterc