afscoach

Beach Wrestling advice?

Hey, we are seriously considering taking a bunch of kids from our team (ranging in age from 6th grade to 11th grade) to a beach wrestling tournament this summer.  All I found on this board so far about it is pretty unhelpful / snarky - does anyone here have experience with beach wrestling?  Any advice?  I mean practical advice - we're planning on doing some summer practices to prepare.  It's essentially a takedown tournament, with an added piece of sumo (you get a point if you push your opponent out of the circle).... have I got this right?  If you've taken a team to a beach wrestling tournament (or have competed yourself) I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts and recommendations on preparing the kids.  Thanks.

Try getting in contact with Reece Humphrey who coaches the New Jersey RTC.  He just returned from competing at a World Beach Wrestling Event, so would have some hands on knowledge.  Hopefully he has time to pass along a few pointers for your guys or be able to point you to some resources.  I’d also suggest finding an actual sand area (lakeside, riverside, or sand volleyball court if you are not by the ocean) near you to get some of your practice rather than just wrestling mats. 

Edited by MadMardigain

7 hours ago, John Coctostan said:

if you come across any postable resources, please share.  thanks!

Will do, but I have to tell you there's almost nothing that I have found online.  There are a few YouTube videos reviewing the rules and regulations but the particular tournament we are entering is using different rules.  I haven't found anything (yet) on any kinds of tips or strategies.  At the level of this competition, at least, the organizer made it clear to me that it's much more about getting kids out and having fun than any kind of heavy duty competition, so I'm gonna roll with it.

4 hours ago, stp said:

Buy the two-packs of Visine.

Is this real advice? Because the tournament is in two days... I'll pick some up tomorrow if it's a good idea to have it for the team.

"Is this real advice? Because the tournament is in two days... I'll pick some up tomorrow if it's a good idea to have it for the team."

All honesty I've never wrestled on the beach, just think wrestlers have a great chance of getting sand on their eyes.  Might be useful?

All honesty I've never wrestled on the beach, just think wrestlers have a great chance of getting sand on their eyes.  Might be useful?

Well, what do you know - one of our kids was in bad shape with sand in his eyes, and because you'd recommended it I had the Visine with me, which helped him a lot.  No kidding.  Thanks!

Coaches who might be interested: The tournament was a good time.  A lot of our kids got pounded (they seemed to have fun anyhow) but we also had some kids do well - one got second place in his weight division.  Nice family friendly event, too.  Something different to do with your team in the summer - give it a try.

On 9/3/2019 at 11:50 PM, jcjcjc said:

We had six compete at Beast of the Beach in Michigan this summer. It was an awesome time. 

I was looking at flo after the Beach worlds, and noticed that the app told medalist was at the Beach of the Beast tournament in Michigan.