97kg Snyder/Gadsen

125kg Gwiz

Can this team win worlds?

Left out "Ringer/Dake" but best case we get world Golds from

JB

Ringer/Dake

Cox

Snyder

and everyone else medals in some capacity.

I have my doubts at 61, 65, 70, 86

GWIZ has a good shot at a Bronze.

Realistically the swing at 86 (Russias still strong here) and our lack of light weight (first 3 weights) staples, really distances Russia from us...

If it was Yainni or Zain wouldnt change my overall view, dont think we were winning it this year, top 3 though is still feasible, it's nice having those 4 Gold Threats.

I do not see any "locks" for gold this time around.  Burroughs has lost a couple steps, Snyder has been figured out by Sadulaev, Dake is hurt and will not be 100% by worlds.  Gilman/Fix are medal threats but not for gold. Best shot is Cox.
Yeah Cox is the 1 weight I would "Favor" us.

Dake or Ringer are close to "favorites" at least expected finalist.

JB has a rough weight but CAN beat them all.

I agree I'm not overly sold Snyderman even makes the finals but I seldom doubt him vs anyone not names Sadulaev.

Any other finalist would be a surprised but I think Fix/Gilman could do well, but dont favor them to Medal .

Cox is looking fantastic. Moves like a featherweight boxer and is so damn selective and crisp on his attacks. He's got the Dake impenetrable fortress thing going now too. I'd say he's about as much of a lock as we've ever had. Who's even 50/50 to beat him?
I mean without looking too much into the weight
Georgia has who Marsagiahvilli (ignore my spelling.)
Karimi and Sharifov are nails.. I'm sure theres somebody else out there.

Who knows what'll happen. I personally think he is at his absolute best right now, and last year he waltz through the whole tourney, but a waltz for him is a controlling 2 or 3 point win. At his best J'den is easily the favorite at the weight but a slip up against one of his main opponents could slide him back to that Bronze. Praying for 6-2 every round. :)

The most dangerous man in the world could not sniff a single score in 12 minutes. I think Cox is good against those guys.
That was my main argument leading into that match. "Nobody ON EARTH" for over 3 years has scored "at will" on Cox... wasnt sure when Nickal became this freestyle dynamo, but a lot of people on these boards were convinced after he beat Zilmer and Macc that his offense was TOO MUCH for the world champ.

Point is, it doesnt matter if he is 3 takedowns better than everyone if he plays with fire, with criteria wins and world level competition. Slip ups arent unlikely although I'm by far one of the biggest "Cox is incredible" guys on this forum.

Also "Daton Fix World Champ"... just saying.... kinda..... hoping.. well let's see if he makes the team

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I mean without looking too much into the weight
Georgia has who Marsagiahvilli (ignore my spelling.)
Karimi and Sharifov are nails.. I'm sure theres somebody else out there.

Who knows what'll happen. I personally think he is at his absolute best right now, and last year he waltz through the whole tourney, but a waltz for him is a controlling 2 or 3 point win. At his best J'den is easily the favorite at the weight but a slip up against one of his main opponents could slide him back to that Bronze. Praying for 6-2 every round. :)

92 kg is one of the weaker weight classes overall.  Karimi will be his closest competition- don't underestimate Karimi though- he's dangerous.

If the Russians are anywhere near 90% ready, no, this team will not win.  Too many unprovens.  As we see every year, an unknown like Colon will step up and a proven guy will stumble (won't name a name here).  I feel that style-wise some of these guys are the best in the US (some by not very much) but I haven't seen where that translates to something anywhere near being the best in the world or a medal threat on the senior level.  I'm hoping I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Coach_J said:

If the Russians are anywhere near 90% ready, no, this team will not win.  Too many unprovens.  As we see every year, an unknown like Colon will step up and a proven guy will stumble (won't name a name here).  I feel that style-wise some of these guys are the best in the US (some by not very much) but I haven't seen where that translates to something anywhere near being the best in the world or a medal threat on the senior level.  I'm hoping I'm wrong.

You're not wrong.

I have been one of the biggest detractors of Downey. The reason being is I believe that it costs us the team world title.

That being said, it isn't his fault that the other 9 weights won't all be gold medals for the glorious U S of A.

To win we will need 3 or 4 golds, if not more and about 8 total medals.  We won't get that.

57) I can see a medal here if Fix goes lights out.  Gillman has been exposed and will likely get Bronze at best, or silver with the right draw.

Fix-Peak gold, valley one and done

Gillman-Peak bronze/silver, valley one and done

Prediction: Fix w/ Silver/Bronze

61) I can see a medal here if it is Colon.  If Graff wins, his lack of defense will cost him.  Colon can get Bronze, or silver, depending on the draw.

Colon-Peak silver/bronze, valley one and done

Graff-Peak bronze/5th, valley one and done

Prediction: Colon w/ no medal.  One or two wins, maybe 5th.

65) I know styles make matches, and while YD beat the #1 in the world, Zain did beat YD(like it or not, chumps), that doesn't mean Zain will win worlds.  Zain's peak is definitely worlds, but I believe we're more likely to see him bring a bronze.  He doesn't have separation points for seeding purposes.

Prediction: Bronze/5th and this is painful to put.  He absolutely CAN win, and we need him to if we want to win a title.

70) We know that Green is capable, being a Burroughs-lite.  I don't think he gets it done, though, and is fading a bit as of late.  Deakin is a wildcard.  He went on a tear at Juniors a few years ago.  Can he do it again? I don't know. I hope so.

Green-Peak bronze/5th, valley one and done

Deakin-Peak silver, valley one and done.

Prediction: Green gets there and brings home a bronze before his last hurrah next year.

74) We'll medal here. Absolutely no doubt there.  I also believe IMar is capable of taking a match from Burroughs.  I don't think he will take two, though.  Burroughs is absolutely the best in the world, in my mind still.  He tends to trip up lately, though.  Folks have learned his tricks.

IMar-Peak bronze/5th, valley one and done

Burroughs-Peak gold, valley 5th

Prediction: I'm calling GOLD for Burroughs in what could be his last time on the world team.

79) We'll win gold here.  Dake separated himself from the entire world last year and didn't allow a single point the entire tournament.  Gahzi the only one to sniff Dake at 79kg since he's gone 79kg(and was also dominated and shut out at worlds last year) was doing the Dake route this year.  Planning to drop to 74kg, but got hurt, so may end up doing 79kg again.  Sound similar?

Dake and Ringer-Peak GOLD, valley GOLD

Prediction: Calling this a lock

86) Downey is our man.  Yes.  Can he beat Yazdani or whoever Russia throws out?  Nope.  Won't even sniff them.  He'll have a hard time to even medal, but if Gillman and Colon can medal, I believe Downey can too, WITHOUT A DOUBT.  Will he?

Downey-Peak Bronze/5th, valley one and done

Prediction: Blood round.  I think he'll win a couple and gain valuable experience.  I don't see him having a high enough skill set to compete at the highest level, though.  Not right now.  Let's give him a year on the circuit.

92) Cox SHOULD win gold.  I can't call this a lock, though.  The advantages he has over domestic opponents isn't there internationally.  There are a slew of folks who will wrestle him close, who can match him on size, who can match him on speed.

Prediction: Silver/Bronze.  I think he slips up once in a match he should have won and will gear up for 97kg and redemption next year.

97) Snyder will medal.  What will he get?  Silver at best.  Can Gadson take him out?  Not sure.  Honestly not sure why Gadson hasn't pulled the Varner route at this point and tested out the heavies.

Snyder-Peak GOLD, valley Bronze(if him and Sad are on the same side he may get bronze).

Gadson-Peak bronze/5th, valley one and done.

Prediction: Silver. Snyder will only lose to Sad at worlds, if he loses.

125) Gwiz is quietly adding size.  He weighed in at 262lbs for Gable and looked great.  He may not have the frame, but he has the skillset, and once he gets the power behind that he may do great things.  Will we get to see swole Gwiz?  I don't know.  Steveson needs to do something the last two minutes of the match and he wins.  He won the first four minutes of both matches.  On the other size, Gwiz can win this.  He is good enough.

Gwiz-Peak GOLD, valley bronze/5th

Prediction: Silver.

That puts us at 2 gold, 2/3 silver, 3/4 bronze and 7/8 total medals, missing at 86 and 61 and possibly 65.  We won't win worlds with that performance.  We will be fighting for 2nd place with that performance.

I will go on record saying that Cox is the guy to beat Sad next year.  Not the Cap'n.