Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Who will be the next Cael (as a coach)?

Meaning the next wrestler who was a star as an athlete, who builds a new empire at a non-traditional powerhouse school, who wins multiple team titles and dominates the recruiting battle for multiple years?

Some names: David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Stieber, IMar, Cox, Snyder, Burroughs, Oliver...

Pick a name and a school.

12 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Probably someone nobody has heard of yet, meaning we are another generation of wrestlers away. 

You don't think any current/recent college wrestlers could fill that role?  I think DT definitely has the star power and is probably 1-2 Olympic cycles away from retiring as a competitor.

Not while Cael is in his prime. He has got 10 more years easily! So I agree it wont be Taylor , Dake, Burroughs, Varner*, Steiber, Snyder or Cox. None of the recent college/world Olympic champs. 

*Varner will follow Cael so he will probably never get his own team unless Cael retires early plus they are best friends also!

Dake to Cornell

Taylor to Michigan

Burroughs to Nebraska

Snyder to Ohio St

Cox to Missouri 

Steiber to ACC school

The next Cael or Gable will probably wrestle for one of these guys in 10 years. 

Also Cael retiring early is not far fetched. He is known to go out on top

Well if he bangs out about 10 more titles, he will literally be once in a lifetime, so I say...let's see how it plays out.  Maybe there will never be one like him is my best guess.

Cael is one of a kind.  When are we going to have another all-time great wrestler and technician with an immensely agreeable personality, great sales and administration abilities, with a strong passion for coaching and teaching, planted in the perfect location?  Maybe never.  

Burroughs and Snyder don't want to coach, or at least don't want to be head coaches.  Stieber's passion is his new academy.  Dake and Taylor will probably be college head coaches, but those guys both run hot.  Maybe that works, but they lack the measured poise that's made Cael so unique.  I don't know if Cox has discussed coaching before... I think he'd be terrific though, if he wants to. 

15 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Burroughs, if he chooses to go back into coaching.  He is the biggest superstar the sport has ever seen with his presence on social media and will have a huge advantage with recruiting.  

His ability to coach the mental side of sport is probably his biggest, unique advantage.  The stuff he says in interviews/social media is extremely advanced in the world of sporty psychology.  He gets it.  Plus, he's pretty good at wrestling.  And he knows the commitment a coach must have in his/her athletes and program.  Once he decides to become a head coach I imagine he's going to be all in with every single athlete he has.  I would love to wrestle for a coach like that.  

Shouldn’t this be “which wrestler who has great credentials and is going to put together a staff with a legit stud assistant coach that could rival Cael’s record?”

Thats not to knock Cael’s coaching abilities but we all know that it’s not just Cael’s name that’s helping develop these guys.

On 6/10/2019 at 1:39 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

You don't think any current/recent college wrestlers could fill that role?  I think DT definitely has the star power and is probably 1-2 Olympic cycles away from retiring as a competitor.

doesn't have the temperament 

There will never be another Gable/Cael. I predict that the cycle of all time great wrestler going on to be the all time great coach ends after Cael. We are seeing more 4 timers and more world and Olympic champs. By the time Cael ends his career as a coach, the pool of elite former wrestlers as coaches will be diluted.

9 hours ago, FriendlyCamper said:

Spencer Lee,  watch his interviews and the way he talks about his teammates and other competitors. He's like a clone of Strittmatter. 

This.  Think he stays at Iowa?

Edited by 1032004

23 hours ago, FriendlyCamper said:

Spencer Lee,  watch his interviews and the way he talks about his teammates and other competitors. He's like a clone of Strittmatter. 

He'd be an inspiring coach, what with this credentials. Multiple Jr World titles, gonna be a 4 x NCAA champ, and I expect him to win a Sr World title at least once. If I was a young wrestler I'd be stoked over the possibility of wrestling for a guy like Spencer.

I don’t think we’ll see another run like Cael has had (or is having), but of the group you listed Dake is my pick to be the most successful college coach. Second most impressive NCAA resume in the past 50 years (behind Cael) and one of the all around nicest and most charming guys you could meet. Just watch the video he did with Flo last week about his injury. 

I wouldn’t necessarily pick him to have the most success as a coach because of all the recruiting and politics that come with the job, but I think Nolf is my pick to be the best coach when it comes to actually teaching wrestling and improving his guys. He’s as good technically as I’ve ever seen and his style is fun and contagious. Of the recent NCAA stars he’d be the wrestling coach I’d want in the room working with my son or daughter. Most (but not all) of the other recent stars in our sport have physical gifts that can’t be taught.

9 minutes ago, MDogg said:

I don’t think we’ll see another run like Cael has had (or is having), but of the group you listed Dake is my pick to be the most successful college coach. Second most impressive NCAA resume in the past 50 years (behind Cael) and one of the all around nicest and most charming guys you could meet. Just watch the video he did with Flo last week about his injury. 

I wouldn’t necessarily pick him to have the most success as a coach because of all the recruiting and politics that come with the job, but I think Nolf is my pick to be the best coach when it comes to actually teaching wrestling and improving his guys. He’s as good technically as I’ve ever seen and his style is fun and contagious. Of the recent NCAA stars he’d be the wrestling coach I’d want in the room working with my son or daughter. Most (but not all) of the other recent stars in our sport have physical gifts that can’t be taught.

Interesting point.  Nolf is actually very similar to Cael in terms of demeanor.  Quiet, reserved, humble...but a killer on the mat.

2 hours ago, MDogg said:

I'd disagree on Dake. He's a fantastic wrestler, but can he really teach other guys to do what he can do? When I look at coach candidates I'd look at the style of wrestling they used in their careers. Taylor is a consummate technician. Theoretically he can teach everything he knows. But Dake can't teach the things that make him special: shaved-gorilla type strength, superb athleticism. His technique is solid...but not particularly exciting to watch (or, presumably, to learn). Dake seems quite arrogant to me, but I'll take your word he's a good guy. He could be a killer in recruiting if the kids like him, what with his credentials as a wrestler.

I could be wrong (I often am).

7 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'd disagree on Dake. He's a fantastic wrestler, but can he really teach other guys to do what he can do? When I look at coach candidates I'd look at the style of wrestling they used in their careers. Taylor is a consummate technician. Theoretically he can teach everything he knows. But Dake can't teach the things that make him special: shaved-gorilla type strength, superb athleticism. His technique is solid...but not particularly exciting to watch (or, presumably, to learn). Dake seems quite arrogant to me, but I'll take your word he's a good guy. He could be a killer in recruiting if the kids like him, what with his credentials as a wrestler.

I could be wrong (I often am).

I don’t disagree that DT is the consummate technician of the group, but I personally don’t think his personality and temperament will make the transition to being the head coach of an entire program very easy. I’m not a DT hater, he’s just not my pick to replicate his mentor’s success. If the job only involved developing 2-3 star wrestlers at a time my opinion would be different.

I think it’s hard to argue someone is too arrogant to be the next Cael. Humble isn’t a word I’ve ever heard someone use to describe Cael, especially when it comes to him as a coach. He’s certainly earned that right though. 

Dake does have “shaved gorilla strength” but in my opinion he has the best mental/psychological approach to competition in the sport, though Snyder is right up there too. Dake can’t teach his shaved Gorilla strength but not can Imar. Nor can JB teach his speed and explosiveness. Nor can Cox teach his athleticism or defensive perspiration.

5 minutes ago, MDogg said:

I don’t disagree that DT is the consummate technician of the group, but I personally don’t think his personality and temperament will make the transition to being the head coach of an entire program very easy. I’m not a DT hater, he’s just not my pick to replicate his mentor’s success. If the job only involved developing 2-3 star wrestlers at a time my opinion would be different.

I think it’s hard to argue someone is too arrogant to be the next Cael. Humble isn’t a word I’ve ever heard someone use to describe Cael, especially when it comes to him as a coach. He’s certainly earned that right though. 

Dake does have “shaved gorilla strength” but in my opinion he has the best mental/psychological approach to competition in the sport, though Snyder is right up there too. Dake can’t teach his shaved Gorilla strength but not can Imar. Nor can JB teach his speed and explosiveness. Nor can Cox teach his athleticism or defensive perspiration.

I was going to add "being unstoppable" to Dake's skills :D

One thing I've noticed about guys at that level: they tend to be ridiculously optimistic. Go look at Taylor's Twitter feed, it's ridiculously inspirational. Have a chat with Jake Herbert some time: over the top optimist. If those guys (Dake, Taylor, Cox, Burroughs, etc) can teach that mental characteristic it would go a long, long way. Gable was pretty good at it.

I wasn't aware that Cael has the perception of arrogance about him. I always thought (and still do) that he's a pretty level headed dude. He's a great wrestler, knows it, but I never hear him bragging about how awesome he is. Unlike (cough: Gilman: cough) some guys :D

Edited by TobusRex

On 6/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Meaning the next wrestler who was a star as an athlete, who builds a new empire at a non-traditional powerhouse school, who wins multiple team titles and dominates the recruiting battle for multiple years?

Some names: David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Logan Stieber, IMar, Cox, Snyder, Burroughs, Oliver...

Pick a name and a school.

I don’t see this happening again, not because of the potential talent but because of economics.  The opportunity set for Carl was to go into coaching. There was no big living the dream type reward at that time.  Now successful senior level wrestlers have alternative economic routes and coaching college kids is not as appealing as the alternatives.  I can see someone having great success at an RTC and avoiding all of the challenges that go with NCAA compliance.