Jimmy Cinnabon

Is Cassar a favorite to repeat?

Or do people think Steveson is the favorite, despite Cassar being the defending champ who took Steveson out twice last year?

Arguments in favor of favoring Steveson: he was a true freshman last year, he can improve a lot this season.  He looked great in freestyle so far this summer despite losing to Gwiz.

Arguments in favor of Cassar: Despite being a 6th year senior this is only really his 3rd full year of competition, so he can still improve.  He was a small heavyweight last year and can bulk up and put on more muscle this summer/fall.

Cassar is the favorite, but that matchup was very close both times this year and Steveson almost certainly improves.  The only real issue is Steveson's gas tank.  If he can go a full 7, I think Cassar has his hands full.

Also, I DO NOT like Cassar adding 15-18lbs, no matter what it consists of.  His advantage at 285 has been his explosive speed and gas tank.  That much weight added in less than a year can not possibly help either and most likely would hurt both.

27 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Cassar is the favorite, but that matchup was very close both times this year and Steveson almost certainly improves.  The only real issue is Steveson's gas tank.  If he can go a full 7, I think Cassar has his hands full.

Also, I DO NOT like Cassar adding 15-18lbs, no matter what it consists of.  His advantage at 285 has been his explosive speed and gas tank.  That much weight added in less than a year can not possibly help either and most likely would hurt both.

Id be surprised if it were more than 10 pounds.  Probably gets up to the 240s and stabilizes somewhere around 235 during season.  But Cassar is a special athlete.  He could put on 100 pounds of mush and he'd be more explosive than 98% of D1 heavies.  Gas tank another story. 

I do think extra weight will be necessary for his FS aspirations

Edited by LemonPie

29 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

If he adds 10 pounds, primarily in his lower body that could improve his speed and explosiveness.  If I were him I would be squatting HEAVY this summer to build up that lower body thickness and power.

2 minutes ago, LemonPie said:

Id be surprised if it were more than 10 pounds.  Probably gets up to the 240s and stabilizes somewhere around 235 during season.  But Cassar is a special athlete.  He could put on 100 pounds of mush and he'd be more explosive than 98% of heavies.  Gas tank another story. 

I do think extra weight will be necessary for his FS aspirations

If he puts it on slowly and properly adjusts, I would agree.  I was just thinking for Folk this season and solely against Gable.  With the build he has, even 10lbs of "muscle" is a lot considering the season starts in 5 months.

In the longterm, he DOES need some size for Freestlye.  In the short term, I would stay exactly where he is if he wants to maximize his chances at winning another title!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

If he adds 10 pounds, primarily in his lower body that could improve his speed and explosiveness.  If I were him I would be squatting HEAVY this summer to build up that lower body thickness and power.

Heavy squats normally do the opposite.  They add size to generate power, which I guess can sort of be related to certain types of explosiveness, but they rarely help with speed and often hurt.  Squats are more apt to help someone hold position or press positions.  Also, they are a major part in why guys like Joseph are VERY unlikely to get taken down by a double leg.

LEAN muscle mass is HUGE in leg speed.  The one true way to help speed is to simply practice speed.  Run as fast as you can for solid spurts.  Practice exploding off the whistle.  Shoot as fast as you can.  Etc.....................Maybe add some resistance while you are training, but I would stay away from heavy weights or really weight gain at all for that matter if I was in any way working on speed.

Steveson looks like he’s added some muscle and lost a bit of body fat since the NCAA’s. He’s obviously not reached his max physical potential yet, and I think he’s got more growing ahead of him.

I think he’s always going to be capable of beating Cassar on any given day.

I think Cassar could use another 15 lbs maximum, as long as it is muscle. 

If he develops a few new “unstoppable” techniques like Snyder did with his low singles against big heavies, I think he’ll repeat. 

I say Cassar is the favorite right now, but only if it’s a somewhat different, less predictable and better Cassar. If not, opposing coaches will have him figured out and I think there’s a few guys capable of beating him. 

If I was Cael, I’d have Cassar get good at:

- Russian tie takedowns (so many options here that are perfect for Cassar)

- Snaps to front headlocks

- Misdirection low-singles 

P.S. Cael, contact me via PM if you are interested in bringing me in as a clinician! 

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

If he puts it on slowly and properly adjusts, I would agree.  I was just thinking for Folk this season and solely against Gable.  With the build he has, even 10lbs of "muscle" is a lot considering the season starts in 5 months.

In the longterm, he DOES need some size for Freestlye.  In the short term, I would stay exactly where he is if he wants to maximize his chances at winning another title!

He added 15lbs last off-season. I wouldn't discount he could do that again while maintaining most of his speed. Either way, he is fun to watch.

4 hours ago, MSU158 said:

The one true way to help speed is to simply practice speed.  Run as fast as you can for solid spurts.  Practice exploding off the whistle.  Shoot as fast as you can.  Etc.....................Maybe add some resistance while you are training, but I would stay away from heavy weights or really weight gain at all for that matter if I was in any way working on speed.

Agree. 

1 hour ago, buckshot1969 said:

A few have said Steveson will improve, which I agree that he will but nobody has said that Ant-nee is going to get better too. I

I guess once you win a title you're done improving...

The fact that he will be in his 7th year while Steveson is coming of his true freshman season may have something to do with us expecting the improvement curve to be larger for Gable than Ant man. 

Make sense?

Edited by MSU158

6 hours ago, MSU158 said:

The fact that he will be in his 7th year while Steveson is coming of his true freshman season may have something to do with us expecting the improvement curve to be larger for Gable than Ant man. 

Make sense?

Cassar has improved as much as Gable in the past 12 months.  Both are outstanding, but if Cassar is able to put on as much muscle in the next 12 months as he has in the last 12, he will be the favorite as far as I'm concerned.  And I thought Gable would win NCAAs this year for sure.  

18 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Heavy squats normally do the opposite.  They add size to generate power, which I guess can sort of be related to certain types of explosiveness, but they rarely help with speed and often hurt.  Squats are more apt to help someone hold position or press positions.  Also, they are a major part in why guys like Joseph are VERY unlikely to get taken down by a double leg.

LEAN muscle mass is HUGE in leg speed.  The one true way to help speed is to simply practice speed.  Run as fast as you can for solid spurts.  Practice exploding off the whistle.  Shoot as fast as you can.  Etc.....................Maybe add some resistance while you are training, but I would stay away from heavy weights or really weight gain at all for that matter if I was in any way working on speed.

The 1940's called, they want you to come back home.

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

The 1940's called, they want you to come back home.

So people were only right in the 1940’s? Got it. I will do my part to make the end of the 2010’s competitive with that time frame in that regard. 

Thanks for your valuable input.