Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

NCAA Champions Picture

They also had 5 second place finishers for a total of 12 out of 20 finalists.

FYI, 2008 was their best year of the last 10, with 14 finalists and 7 champions.

Yes, they've always been at or near the top in champions, finalists and All-Americans

It won't be long before they can simply offer a few at large bids to non-conf wrestlers and crown the NCAA champions at the mega$ BIG-28 conf tourney. :roll:

The Big 10 has not always been dominant. It changed in the mid-70s, when Iowa with Gable became the top program. It became more so when Penn State joined the Big 10 in the early 90s.

Prior to then it was the old Big 8 with Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Iowa State. They are three of the top four programs in all-time champs and AAs. Iowa of course being the other.

You know I already want Quentin Wright to be an NCAA champion again this year, picked him and rooting for him, but looking through these pictures makes me want to see him be an NCAA champion even more. He's just got a great attitude and awesome perspective.

All these other 2nd and 3rd place guys look like someone just told them that their mom died of unexpectedly in a car accident. Yeah, you wanted to be an NCAA champion, but you still took 2nd in the nation. You're the 2nd best in the entire country at your weight. You could have DNP'd or not even qualified or not even wrestled that year due to being beat out or worse yet injury. You don't need to look like it's the end of the world just because you didn't win it.

Wright gave his best, knew he gave his best and let himself take realization of all of his hard work, sacrifice and dedication, and as a result he stood on the award stand proud of himself as he should be.

I hope he's one place higher on the stand this year.

7 Big Ten, 3 Cornell.

Is the Big Ten that dominant?

THERE IS A REASON (MORE THAN ONE) WHY THEY GET THE MOST QUALIFIERS....The Big Ten is Brutal....nuff said.....and that is every year.....has been for a long time.....over 20 years (off the top of my head)

The Big 10 has not always been dominant. It changed in the mid-70s, when Iowa with Gable became the top program. It became more so when Penn State joined the Big 10 in the early 90s.

Prior to then it was the old Big 8 with Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Iowa State. They are three of the top four programs in all-time champs and AAs. Iowa of course being the other.

Adding Penn State in the early 90s was insignificant at best. They were no factor at all until Sanderson arrived 5 years ago.

Adding Penn State in the early 90s was insignificant at best. They were no factor at all until Sanderson arrived 5 years ago.

Can't remember the exact year they joined the B10, but let's look at their insignificance at the NCAA's in the 90's...

1990 - 6th

1991 - 3rd

1992 - 3rd

1993 - 2nd

1994 - 3rd

1995 - 5th

1996 - 4th

1997 - 10th (worst finish in the 90's, still top 10)

1998 - 4th

1999 - 4th

You know I already want Quentin Wright to be an NCAA champion again this year, picked him and rooting for him, but looking through these pictures makes me want to see him be an NCAA champion even more. He's just got a great attitude and awesome perspective.

All these other 2nd and 3rd place guys look like someone just told them that their mom died of unexpectedly in a car accident. Yeah, you wanted to be an NCAA champion, but you still took 2nd in the nation. You're the 2nd best in the entire country at your weight. You could have DNP'd or not even qualified or not even wrestled that year due to being beat out or worse yet injury. You don't need to look like it's the end of the world just because you didn't win it.

Wright gave his best, knew he gave his best and let himself take realization of all of his hard work, sacrifice and dedication, and as a result he stood on the award stand proud of himself as he should be.

I hope he's one place higher on the stand this year.

Your description of Q reminds me somewhat of Bobby Jones, the former 76er's great. GM Pat Williams said “Bobby Jones gives you two hours of his blood, showers and goes home.” Dr. J added that "Jones is a player who's totally selfless, who runs like a deer, jumps like a gazelle, plays with his head and heart each night, and then walks away from the court as if nothing happened.”