spladle08

Final X - Lincoln

Oh man, there is going to be another legal challenge or USOC challenge or whatever level of litigation the Yianni-Zain mess is ensnarled in. That was an extremely inconsistent application of the rule in my opinion. I'm torn because I wanted Fix to win, but, um, that is a baffling call.

2 minutes ago, backpack said:

Tough call on the 2 there for Daton, but if they reversed the call on the mat AGAIN, with only 5 seconds left, that would be ridiculous. Looks like they learned from Yianni - Zain.

I dont like to think that we would abandon the rulebook to avoid controversy. 

That's a bad call. It's a classic case of folkstyle rules leaking into our American freestyle officiating. Exactly ZERO international officials give 2 to fix there, but that's a no doubt takedown in folkstyle so our officials give it. Won't get that overseas. In fact check out the end of Gilman's 2017 match against Iran. Same position except even closer to a freestyle takedown than Fix.

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

Is this a folkstyle vs freestyle td call discrepancy? Or a freestyle official vs freestyle official rules judgement discrepancy?

It seemed to be pretty clear in the match before as Gillman was trying to get behind, and then was behind fix but did not get the call because Fix was still holding the leg. What is the difference here? 

1 minute ago, MadMardigain said:

Is this a folkstyle vs freestyle td call discrepancy? Or a freestyle official vs freestyle official rules judgement discrepancy?

Good question, my comments were addressing a freestyle vs freestyle discrepancy. In folk style there is a lot more discretion to call a takedown in that position. Like the Mark Hall/Valencia NCAA final this year. That would often not be called a takedown in folk style with the leg still in, but it isn't objectively clear that it is not a takedown in folk style. In freestyle, I thought that specifically wasn't a takedown if you had the leg still in. Hence the likely USOC challenge or litigation challenge or whatever.

1 minute ago, russelscout said:

I dont like to think that we would abandon the rulebook to avoid controversy. 

I have a feeling it was in the back of the minds of the officials. That position is very consistently called internationally and it's never a takedown. In folkstyle it's a takedown, the same way a merkle is a takedown in folk, but not free. Congrats to Fix though. Well wrestled.

11 hours ago, tec87 said:

Looks like JB woke up and said “screw it, I’m done playing around now”

Too bad the world tournament aren’t all the best of 3.  His in match IQ seems to always improve as the 3 series match moves on.  Much easier to beat him in a 1 match series compared to best of 3. 

Edited by MadMardigain

I haven't kept up with freestyle rules as well as I need to.  The end of the Fix/Gilman match would be 2 in folkstyle, but my friend says it is never called a t.d. in freestyle.  Does anyone have a deep enough understanding of that particular position in the international world, to know if it's 2 or not?

Damn just looked at that Fix/Gilman call again, I'm so torn because glad to have Fix on the team but damn, how can they mess up such an objective call. That is a world team deciding call, with review, and it is not a hard call or really even a judgment call. Damn, why can they not get basic calls right.

I'm glad Fix won, but I agree it was a bad call.  It also would have been painful for them to have wiped out the points with only 5 seconds left.  

As for Burroughs....  He is awesome and has been the perfect ambassador for the sport over the past decade.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

3 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

Damn just looked at that Fix/Gilman call again, I'm so torn because glad to have Fix on the team but damn, how can they mess up such an objective call. That is a world team deciding call, with review, and it is not a hard call or really even a judgment call. Damn, why can they not get basic calls right.

4 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

you are 100 percent correct.  Just a coincidence, im sure, that the same official was the center of both calls.  Zach had a bad couple weeks.

23 minutes ago, backpack said:

Tough call on the 2 there for Daton, but if they reversed the call on the mat AGAIN, with only 5 seconds left, that would be ridiculous. Looks like they learned from Yianni - Zain.

I have no idea how that is 2 points for a TD, but the irony you point out is ....

The Vodka drinking Compliance Dept. calling lawyer on HR is pretty unhappy right now. 

Edited by TBar1977