Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

This JB isn't winning worlds. Not sure if there's a health issue or something. 

I see your point, but like JB said, everyone in the US is gunning for him, while he's prepping for the best in the world.  He's still on another level IMO.  The lion gets nipped at every now and again.. He's brought Team USA to the point it is today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

Wow - Graff just made me choke up. I like Colon and wasn't exactly pulling for Graff but am very very happy for that 30-year old good man who has persevered through a lot to just make his first world team and who it clearly means a lot to.

Other than my own kid, I don't tend to root for many wrestlers. But that's changed now. I'm a Tyler Graff fan. To stay in a sport until you are 30 because it means something to you, basically making no money, is what people mean when they say doing it for the Love of the Game. I am so happy for that guy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, airmail said:

I see your point, but like JB said, everyone in the US is gunning for him, while he's prepping for the best in the world.  He's still on another level IMO.  The lion gets nipped at every now and again.. He's brought Team USA to the point it is today.  

True - that post of mine was a little flip. I do feel that even in Match 3, he was not wrestling great - and neither was I-Mar for that matter, but it is incredible what JB has done and did yet again tonight. And he has nearly always brought it to the big world competitions and he will likely do the same again this year. I love him as an athlete, admire him, and am so thankful to be a wrestling fan during his incredible decade-long run of representing American wrestling so well. I do hope he wrestles better, looks better conditioned, at worlds - but he is amazing and can't wait to see him compete again on the world stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

This JB isn't winning worlds. Not sure if there's a health issue or something. 

Maybe he just was a little flat today?   Happens to everyone from time to time. I’m inclined to agree except that I don’t see a truly unbeatable competitor here, and not nearly the depth you have at say 65 kg where nobody’s safe from the first round on. I think this version of JB has as good a chance as anybody in the weight....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

Oh man, there is going to be another legal challenge or USOC challenge or whatever level of litigation the Yianni-Zain mess is ensnarled in. That was an extremely inconsistent application of the rule in my opinion. I'm torn because I wanted Fix to win, but, um, that is a baffling call.

Judgement call, no appeal allowed or granted or whatever you want to call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RJChicago said:

True - that post of mine was a little flip. I do feel that even in Match 3, he was not wrestling great - and neither was I-Mar for that matter, but it is incredible what JB has done and did yet again tonight. And he has nearly always brought it to the big world competitions and he will likely do the same again this year. I love him as an athlete, admire him, and am so thankful to be a wrestling fan during his incredible decade-long run of representing American wrestling so well. I do hope he wrestles better, looks better conditioned, at worlds - but he is amazing and can't wait to see him compete again on the world stage.

He's been the top dog here for nine years. That's a long time when you're staving off the wolves.

Edited by Katie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe he just was a little flat today?   Happens to everyone from time to time. I’m inclined to agree except that I don’t see a truly unbeatable competitor here, and not nearly the depth you have at say 65 kg where nobody’s safe from the first round on. I think this version of JB has as good a chance as anybody in the weight....
100% I said the same thing elsewhere he's top 4 and they can all 4 beat each other on any given day. He has just as good a chance as anyone. No hes not a shoe in favorite but in no way is he some massive underdog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

Judgement call, no appeal allowed or granted or whatever you want to call it.

.....or attempted...some people accept rulings by officials... right or wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there was a weight issue or if he just had a piece of gum in his mouth or something.  It kinda makes sense his 3rd match would be so dominant if he had to suck a little to make weight.  I want them to get the calls correct, but they need to be rock solid so there is no benefit to litigating post match results.  Bottom line is this.  If you can't call matches correct at this level, you nee to go back to the minor leagues, cause that's the biggest freaking thing in the world.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Peso said:

I wonder if there was a weight issue or if he just had a piece of gum in his mouth or something.  It kinda makes sense his 3rd match would be so dominant if he had to suck a little to make weight.  I want them to get the calls correct, but they need to be rock solid so there is no benefit to litigating post match results.  Bottom line is this.  If you can't call matches correct at this level, you nee to go back to the minor leagues, cause that's the biggest freaking thing in the world.  

 

Yeah, like in football. When you get to the NFL, they never miss a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, tbert said:

.....or attempted...some people accept rulings by officials... right or wrong

That's definitely true although with the way the world is today more and more people are looking to bitch and complain and if they don't like the result, see if they can get somebody to agree with them and change it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

That's definitely true although with the way the world is today more and more people are looking to bitch and complain and if they don't like the result, see if they can get somebody to agree with them and change it.

Wait, so do you agree with the call or not? This is such a strawman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbert said:

.....or attempted...some people accept rulings by officials... right or wrong

Y v Z is not going to come down to the actual scoring  - it will only be about application of challenge or review rules. i will leave it to the arbitrators from there and hope there' s a written ruling. wild that even if he wins the appeal he'll have to go 2-0 to make the team.

Edited by ugarte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ugarte said:

Y v Z is not going to come down to the actual scoring  - it will only be about application of challenge or review rules. i will leave it to the arbitrators from there and hope there' s a written ruling. wild that even if he wins the appeal he'll have to go 2-0 to make the team.

That result is very unlikely to change.

I virtually never point to TR Foley as having the absolute best take on a situation, but where that challenge stands I think he is spot on. Team Yianni has to show in their protest that something terribly egregious happened that literally denies Yianni the right to have compete. According to Foley (and I obviously agree) that did not happen.

1. Was the original getting the score wrong an egregious error - no, it was simply a mistake how that came about. A mistake that has multiple avenues of remedy.

2. Was the not stopping the action an egregious error - quite obviously no. Look at Logan Stieber's take, stopping that specific scramble would have actually been bad. 

3. Was accepting the challenge brick an egregious error - no, because there really is no 5 second rule, only that accepting the brick has to be reasonable. 

4. Was changing the score an egregious error - no, the scoring of the sequence is a judgement call. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VakAttack said:

That was a brutal call against Gilman, but geez, why is he shooting? Fix was completely unable to generate his own offense all series.

For the same reason Daniel Dennis shot against Jason Ness late in the 3rd period of the NCAA finals.  It's the Iowa way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peso said:

I wonder if there was a weight issue or if he just had a piece of gum in his mouth or something.  It kinda makes sense his 3rd match would be so dominant if he had to suck a little to make weight.  I want them to get the calls correct, but they need to be rock solid so there is no benefit to litigating post match results.  Bottom line is this.  If you can't call matches correct at this level, you nee to go back to the minor leagues, cause that's the biggest freaking thing in the world.  

 

Burroughs made weight with 3 minutes left to spare. Apparently he had a very hard time making it. Couldn’t get it off and luckily a singlet change made the difference. 

Also Imar has closed the gap and has tough physical style that’s hard to deal with. Credit to him for wrestling so well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...