Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PRyan2012

Askren advises Nickal should go U23

Recommended Posts

yes. that's why they didn't confirm all U23 winners - eligible wrestlers who lose at Final X can challenge the U23 winners. Yianni, Fix and Deakin are all potential challengers too (and I may be leaving someone out).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ugarte said:

yes. that's why they didn't confirm all U23 winners - eligible wrestlers who lose at Final X can challenge the U23 winners. Yianni, Fix and Deakin are all potential challengers too (and I may be leaving someone out).

Thank you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ugarte said:

yes. that's why they didn't confirm all U23 winners - eligible wrestlers who lose at Final X can challenge the U23 winners. Yianni, Fix and Deakin are all potential challengers too (and I may be leaving someone out).

Gable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ugarte said:

yes. that's why they didn't confirm all U23 winners - eligible wrestlers who lose at Final X can challenge the U23 winners. Yianni, Fix and Deakin are all potential challengers too (and I may be leaving someone out).

The rule makes sense.  Nickal certainly should go U23.  The college guys - seems to me that year round wrestling is path to burnout.   They need some break before the grinding NCAA season.  Unless they make the big boys world team I'd say take a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of college guys  don't even want to accept a spot at u23s due to it conflicting with college classes and practice. But maybe Nickal will do it just so Penn State can get payback for Dake beating Taylor and (maybe) Yianni beating Retherford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine the rule must be for whatever weight they wrestled Final X at...

Otherwise we could legit have Deakin(70) and Nickal(92) legit challenge Dean(86), right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Full Nelson said:

The rule makes sense.  Nickal certainly should go U23.  The college guys - seems to me that year round wrestling is path to burnout.   They need some break before the grinding NCAA season.  Unless they make the big boys world team I'd say take a break.

That's part of the reason I'm not upset that Spencer Lee has put his FS career on hiatus. The guy wrestled a full season in the toughest conference in the country, he needs a break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I imagine the rule must be for whatever weight they wrestled Final X at...

Otherwise we could legit have Deakin(70) and Nickal(92) legit challenge Dean(86), right?

they can challenge at whatever weight they can make. not sure why nickal would go to 86 to challenge dean instead of staying at 92 to take on woodley. 

if yianni loses his appeal, i wonder if he goes after eierman's spot. i haven't heard anything about Steveson challenging Kirkvleit either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Nickel is too much of a big shot for u23! Most dangerous wrestler on the planet!

I missed the big shot he scored against Cox.

I agree he is Mr. Excitement (unless you are being totally sarcastic.)

  Sure wish he was at a reasonable weight class and representing the U.S. on the world team.

Edited by Full Nelson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if it's true that Bo can challenge Dean for the spot, I would love to see it. I would also say that after watching Bo vs J'den last weekend at Final X, I am convinced that Bo should be at 86, and not at 92. Bo just did not have the horsepower to move J'den when he needed to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NJDan said:

A lot of college guys  don't even want to accept a spot at u23s due to it conflicting with college classes and practice. But maybe Nickal will do it just so Penn State can get payback for Dake beating Taylor and (maybe) Yianni beating Retherford.

Bo's not a college guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, simple said:

He’s eligible by 14 days.

i hope they did the math right - last year machiavello won US U23 and then wasn't eligible for worlds

Edited by ugarte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ugarte said:

i hope they did the math right - last year machiavello won US U23 and then wasn't eligible for worlds

All UWW says on their website is the person must have been born in 1996-2000. Bo was born January 1996

Edited by simple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ugarte said:

i hope they did the math right - last year machiavello won US U23 and then wasn't eligible for worlds

Rule is you can't turn 24 in the same year as the tournament.  Mach & co. thought you just had to be 23 during the actual tournament, which he would have been.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×