Sign in to follow this  
drag it

Worthwhile Stieber interview

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6517160-logan-stieber-on-retirement-decision-future-yianni-zain

I found this to be a terrific interview and recommend it to everyone (though be aware, it's behind the paywall).  

I had always thought that Stieber was guarded and edgy when I'd seen interviews with him while he was competing.  In retirement, his real personality seems to come out quite a bit more, and he is very intelligent, thoughtful, engaging, humble, and candid.

I won't try to summarize it, but he provides a lot of interesting insight.  In addition to the title of the interview (retirement/decision/future/Yianni-Zain), I was quite taken with his thoughts about what he sees as the role of parents and coaches in the club he is going to open, and his related comments about his own experience with his coaches and father.  (I also got a kick out of a moment when he was describing watching the Yianni-Zain match on his phone, in which he says that the feed had some problems, but then, I thought, very politely said weren't an issue when he remembered that this was a Flo interview.)

Really enjoyed this and thought that Christian Pyles did a good and subtle job with his questions.  

13 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I have always thought both Logan and Hunter were class all the way around. 

Agree, and it was always neat to see the unconditional support they gave each other, as well as Hunter's amazing grit and class in dealing with his really difficult injuries.  

16 hours ago, scribe said:

It’s stunning to me he’s retired. These careers are like a blip on the radar. 

I was surprised too when he initially retired but this interview explains a lot of the decision.  What can you do when the body starts breaking down.  We actually got an extra two years from him since he wanted to retire in 2016.  

1 minute ago, misterc said:

Do tell...

Mainly he said that Banang has a rep for making everyone tired and winning late, but that Yianni does not get tired. I was surprised he was 28.

16 hours ago, scribe said:

It’s stunning to me he’s retired. These careers are like a blip on the radar. 

It feels like a blip when you think about a World Title in 2016, and being out of the sport by 2018... but not so much when you consider he's competed and been a top 4 guy domestically at the senior level for 10 years now.  

19 hours ago, madcat11 said:

Seems like yesterday we were watching him take 3rd at the open as a high school junior.

One thing to think about with Logan is that he was literally pretty much the nations best from the age of eight at Tulsa nationals thru going six for six at Fargo and four for four at ncaa,  followed by three straight years representing the USA. Almost unprecedented as so many all time greats- John Smith,  Baumgartner, JB, etc were total late bloomers. Yes I know those guys had better international careers than Logan did before someone points that out.

3 hours ago, Cradle1 said:

One thing to think about with Logan is that he was literally pretty much the nations best from the age of eight at Tulsa nationals thru going six for six at Fargo and four for four at ncaa,  followed by three straight years representing the USA. Almost unprecedented as so many all time greats- John Smith,  Baumgartner, JB, etc were total late bloomers. Yes I know those guys had better international careers than Logan did before someone points that out.

Great point.  The sheer amount of wrestling he did over the past 20 years is pretty astonishing.  Every year, year-round, and at the highest level.  184-1 in high school... 119-3 in college... 15+ international events... 

If you've ever been fortunate enough to talk to Geoff Stieber, you understand why the son's are such good people.  He guided Logan and Hunter (as well as Cam Tessari and Chris Phillips) to be successful in this sport and never allowed them shortcuts.  At the same time, he kept them in their tiny community and created a source of pride for their hometown.  Think about every wrestling Dad you know and ask how many would have sent their incredibly talented sons to a program without any other great training partners or a stud staff?  The Steibers learned values beyond winning from their father.  Mom is fabulous as well.  

Edited by silvermedal

I remember sitting in a lobby at an Open college tournament when I saw my son walking towards me. Before he got to me a guy called his name and had a conversation with him for a few minutes. I asked my son who the guy was and he said Mr. Stieber. Logan had pounded the crap out of him a fews times in college but Mr. Stieber  still remembered him and was nice enough to have a talk with him.  

On 6/20/2019 at 8:28 PM, silvermedal said:

Think about every wrestling Dad you know and ask how many would have sent their incredibly talented sons to a program without any other great training partners or a stud staff?  The Steibers learned values beyond winning from their father.  Mom is fabulous as well.  

That's an interesting point.  It's easy to look at Ohio State today and think gargantuan elite program/no brainer decision for blue chip recruit, but at the time the first Stieber committed that wasn't really the case -- and, in fact, he was probably the biggest factor in that transformation.